Torquing your nuts

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of nut-torquing questions:
1. What's is the correct torque setting?
2. What's the nut size?
3. What's a good torque wrench or ratchet to get (reasonable cost)?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a contact at Snap-On (not strap-on) I hear they have premium products? There was a member in our region who bought out a race shop and he had a crap load of tools and equipment for sale. Let me know if you want his number?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stevie, I had such high hopes for you on this one. With all your high-level DC contacts, I was certain that you would be a shoe-in for resident tech expert.
rolleyes.gif

The nuts torque to 90-100 lb-ft. They are 3/4" or 19mm.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
If you have a contact at Snap-On (not strap-on) I hear they have premium products? There was a member in our region who bought out a race shop and he had a crap load of tools and equipment for sale. Let me know if you want his number?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strap-on, nice
wink.gif
Sure, drop me his #.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:

The nuts torque to 90-100 lb-ft. They are 3/4" or 19mm.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info (thought it was 90 but couldn't remember, plus I needed the other info).

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
If you have a contact at Snap-On (not strap-on)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif

95 ft.lbs.

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harbor freight often has decent deals on reasonable tools. Sometimes they have real schlock, but the prices are usually very good. They have a 1/2 inch torque wrench that is $20, but often goes on sale for $10. It's probably not that accurate, but I trust it for my wheel nuts. I bring it to events, and figure if I lose it, it's no big deal. I've seen other peope with it at vca events, so I'm not nuts about my nuts.

Here's a link to it

I have a better quality 3/8 inch one I use for other stuff like spark plugs.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
FYI......Recommended pattern ......
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPER BIT:
I agree with rdustman!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't hurt him though, he has no nuts to torque!
laugh.gif

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
Harbor freight often has decent deals on reasonable tools. Sometimes they have real schlock, but the prices are usually very good. They have a 1/2 inch torque wrench that is $20, but often goes on sale for $10. It's probably not that accurate, but I trust it for my wheel nuts. I bring it to events, and figure if I lose it, it's no big deal. I've seen other peope with it at vca events, so I'm not nuts about my nuts.

Here's a link to it

I have a better quality 3/8 inch one I use for other stuff like spark plugs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. Per their site, they have 2 3/4 inch torque wrenches, the cheaper of which is here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=808