Touchup Paint

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a black '95. It’s showing some wear in a handful of areas, some no larger than a dime. Every time I wash it I see another small wound from a rock on the highway. Does anybody have a ball park figure to go by on what a business would charge to touchup the paint in a few areas or is touchup paint just not the way to go? I have no idea and haven’t taken it in for a quote…a bunch of you guys are business owners so I figured this is as good a place as any.

Reaction score
Touch up paint will look terrible if there is more then a couple places to do, most body shops will charge about $500-$600 to re do the fascia and a $600-$800 more to do the whole hood.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was a black '95 RT/10, and I was happy with Dr. Colorchip. Have you tried that yet? Black is actually pretty easy to take care of.

ChrisHefner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a few very small paint chips myself, I was going to put on one of those clear bra kits that encompasses the bottom car areas. Does any one have any experience with those kits? or recommend them?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touch up paint will be lumpy since it either under or overfills the tiny spot of lost paint/chip. If its in a place that you'll really notice (e.g. hood), don't do the touch up...or if you do be prepared to have it resprayed if you don't like the way it looks. If its in a place where you don't get much light (e.g. the leading edge of the sills) you can touch that up and it won't look terrible.....or you won't notice that it does look lumpy. I don't think you lose much by trying it IF you're already bought into the idea that you may have to have a larger area redone if it doesn't come out to your satisfaction.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touch up paint will look terrible if there is more then a couple places to do, most body shops will charge about $500-$600 to re do the fascia and a $600-$800 more to do the whole hood.

Yeah, spend the money and have it done properly. The car is worth the money!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For small, minor chip here and there touch up paint will work but it depends on what you define as "some wear". If there are number of chips touch up paint will make it all look more obvious. Better off getting the paint professionaly repaired if you're considering touching up a lot of dime-sized chips. I used Langka a while back for a quarter-sized chip at the very bottom my drivers'-side door. It worked well but eventually I will need to have the door re-painted. PaintPen worked well for me too. The chip is diifficult to notice but I know it's there and it bothers me. Do you have pictures of the chips in question?

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For small, minor chip here and there touch up paint will work but it depends on what you define as "some wear". If there are number of chips touch up paint will make it all look more obvious. Better off getting the paint professionaly repaired if you're considering touching up a lot of dime-sized chips. I used Langka a while back for a quarter-sized chip at the very bottom my drivers'-side door. It worked well but eventually I will need to have the door re-painted. PaintPen worked well for me too. The chip is diifficult to notice but I know it's there and it bothers me. Do you have pictures of the chips in question?

You must be registered for see images attach

It's only letting me post one picture at a time...I'll follow up with the other areas. This chip is by the fog light.

Yeah, spend the money and have it done properly. The car is worth the money!

$1,400 for a few chips in her armor? I dunno...I have other hobbies. I'll spend that coin when I get some more miles on her. She's still pulling plenty of tail for me. :D

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always been pleased with the touch-up approach on my vehicles. However, I always level/blend the repair with some 3M Finesse compound to make it look and feel invisible as much as possible.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All paint requires commitment. Not just black.
nah..
I havent washed my car for a month and it still "looks" freshly waxed.

a black car would show dust, pollen, swirl marks, etc... more than any other color and I'm not going to debate that with you because it's a fact, not an opinion.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That one pic doesn't look too bad. It's when I hear "Dime" sized and "Quarter" sized chips, that I'm picturing bad results from touchup. But go ahead and try it. Black hides touchup very well actually.

I looked into the 3M clearbra. From what I found out, it takes nearly a whole day to apply and you have to be a trained technician to do it. The cheapest I was quoted was $750 so I walked away. It's a car, it'll get chips. Just drive it and stay away from trucks.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow and silver stay clean-looking longer.....clean looking not clean.....:cool:

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also had good results over the years with touch up paint, but by using an inexpensive fine tipped brush from a hobby store. Much better control of the paint for small spots like you posted, instead of the crappy tip that's inside the bottle.

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm still in Shock, about there being TAIL in Idaho!

Are you kidding!? Boise has an abundance of talent. I travel about 1/3 of the year for work, so I have some exposure to those other areas out there and Boise is still ranked as one of the tops in my book; although, I am headed to Venezuela in two weeks for a project. I’ve heard the women down there are ridiculously ridiculous…and so are my chances of getting my head chopped off. No guts, no glory. :D

I’ve decided to try Dr. Colorchip. Thanks for the responses, fellas.