Towing Viper on this Trailer Question

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. Normally look like a R with a spring loaded tab.

As for the rings, no. Those are jack points. Cant get under them as they are solidly welded to the frame. You will actually see a hole in the frame. Just the right size for a hook.

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have towed my Viper on a trailer similar to the black one several times. While it's probably not the same brand of trailer I was able to open the Viper doors right over the top of the trailer fenders. Even if your doors would hit the fender you can usually just remove the fender by removing a few bolts. Then load the car and replace the fender. There should be multiple tie down points across the front and rear of the trailer that you can strap to.

Don't forget to install an electric brake controller if your truck doesn't already have one and make sure all of the lights work on the trailer. If you haven't towed before then be sure to read the instructions for the brake controller on how to properly set the sensitivity of the controller.

I tow mine with a 6 ****** Envoy so your hemi should have no problem.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***** about the tuning but u say archer will be at vir tuning or they re just helping u out?
I wonder if any other solid tuners will be in attendance as I need to have mine retuned via sct

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Archer will be there racing. I called them to see if they would be able to help me out. They are going to try to work with me and I should know more shortly however I am not sure what they will be able to do. Though street tuning is the best it is not the safest way to tune and I don't believe there is an on site dyno.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is one of the potentially scariest threads I have ever read.......I am truly concerned for your safety, and that of your Viper. Not to mention the tow rig. If you dont dump it, you could bend the A-Arms, or you could hurt the motor running on track with a poor tune. So many issues are open or out-of-budget.

There is a TON of good advice in this thread (esp moPar Boy!) but I think you should do it right or stay home....or better yet come safely and spectate. Drive a non-Viper!

BE SAFE......

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The focus is on the trailer, not the car.

I am working all angles to have the car tuned prior or while I attend VIR. I understand a lot of folks say I should just drive it up there but that is not an option. The car will be on the track, it will be driven fairly hard and it has aftermarket performance parts on it. That being said the rate of failure has increased significantly, even with a full tune. I am in the Military, I can't get stuck 4 hours away because the Viper broke. Being late to work is not a good thing nor an option for me. There is always a possiblity my Ram will break but parts are readily available for it so it is a non issue.

Budget is not coming into play except in regards to an enclosed trailer. I will not waste money on renting an enclosed trailer. If the black trailer is not suitable I will rent a trailer from Uhaul. I am not on a slim budget.

The point of me attending VIR is to learn how to drive the Viper. If at any time the car is not responding as it should or the temps are too hot I am not afraid to take it off the track.

I am taking 90 percent of the advice given on this thread into account. I asked about the trailer because I was unsure. Many people have stated the orange one is a bad idea. Comments have been noted and the orange trailer it not an option anymore in my mind.

The black one is a twin axle car trailer. Have to test it out when I get back. Most likely it does have brakes. I am looking into the brake controller as we speak to find out the best option for my truck. They all seem to be very similar. I have a buddy who has towed many vehicles and he will be helping me set up the trailer. I am not going into anything blind nor would I do anything that would harm myself or my car. This is why I asked about the orange one, I was unsure.

Hopefully this clarifies my intentions and reduces concern. I am a very intelligent person and I don't cut corners when I do things. If anything I over research everything.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Too bad you're so far away , I'd help you with my trailer for free [ or maybe twist your arm to buy me lunch ;)] if I lived close by. Can't you borrow some hauler from the military , J/K ?

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I have seen those little rings behind the front wheels. So I need to make sure the straps have a metal hook on the opposite end.

NO!! NO !! :omg:
those are not for towing! I sent you my email and Phone. let me fill you in.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cannot comment on it as I do not know that specific one.

If you want to avoid the dealer, go with a reputable company like Reese. You will be OK with them. You will find their product most auto places.

If you cant find Reese, second suggestion is to go to an RV or trailer store. They always have controllers there and normally have a few different brands on all different price levels. They should also be helpful as many of their customers are first timers so they have the experience of what to recommend for simplicity as well as a quick "Brake Controller 101". Better than a store that just sells you the part.

My only recommendation: Dont skimp on the controller. It IS what controls your trailer when in emergency situations! That is not the time for a malfunction! :crazy2:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Anyone have surge brakes on any of their rigs? The hundreds of heavy boat trailers I've set up all had hydraulic surge brakes. Very simple setup.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Enclosed for me.
You must be registered for see images attach

That first trailer is a joke, DO NOT put your poor Viper on that thing, please.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh I hear dealership and I cringe. Is there an acceptable substitute to a dealership one? I don't plan on towing often at all.

:dunno::dunno::dunno:
I don't understand this. There is a time to go cheap and a time to do it right. My dealer had 3 models and 3 prices. When it comes to towing a 3600# car plus a 1000# trailer behind a 5200# pickup I want to be able to stop so I go with the best one I can get. If the dealer sells it to plug into an existing harness, it is probably designed to do the job.

Just my .02 plus GST

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi