Tracked my GTS! (NARRA pics too)+MORE pics

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tracked my GTS!

Ken, you can go completely stock when starting out. Really, it's a great car. You should come with the CECA gang. Been riding with them for some years now and are very safety conscious. They have beginner, intermediate and advanced sessions alternating throughout the day. They also offer instructors at no charge to ride with you and provide pointers. I've learned alot from them. The next event is June 27 at High Plains Raceway. I've got the entry form if you want it. But hurry, this event is sure to sell out fast since it's on the new track. We can always use more Vipers at these events.

You made the experience sound really SWEET! I can't wait to start tracking mine...I've got a while yet...still on the learning curve and need some upgrades.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tracked my GTS! (NARRA pics too)

Self serving, but still reasonable advice:

I noticed how many '01 cars were in this thread and they have ABS. 2000 model year and older do not and may have different results regarding braking. Stock front brakes will take a beating so flush and fill with new fluid and pads. Near-ABS performance can be easily achieved later... ;)

V

Venomiss

Go Leslie!

This is the start of something wonderful.
Your wallet may be lighter...:D

Congratulations on the track.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing I would do pronto is heat shield all the rubber boots on the suspension close to the brakes. You will find these will melt very easily and the grease will be oozing out from then on till replaced.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats, Leslie~!! Good description and glad you got to track your BEAST.
Now that we have a Coupe, hoping for a spot to open up for SRT Driving Experience, as we've never tracked. Thanks for a great write-up...glad you had a blast~~~~juli

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the pix. Very cool. How'd the gold CC do in the race? The back end seems set up very high, he either did real well or really poorly I bet.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the pix. Very cool. How'd the gold CC do in the race? The back end seems set up very high, he either did real well or really poorly I bet.

:lmao:

yeh I am sure he didn't drive it in the 'inflated' state' on the track!

wellll, I guess he could have dragged those 2 huge tanks out with him to keep it elevated hahhaa

it was kewl to watch him do it, he just popped the connection in the back of the car and BAM! Viper lifted

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/Viper_017.jpg[/media]

Last edited:

ollikoi

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No suggestions on camber/toe :(
It would be nice to have some ;)

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool Leslie!! There is nothing like taking these bad boys out where they can stretch their legs. After my first time out...I WAS HOOKED! Keep having fun and be safe!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So what's the deal with the EBC reds? I just put them on with my big brake kit and they ****! OK around town but I was doing some spirited driving yesterday and I had brake fade so bad I about drove off the road. I have HAWKS on the rears with StopTech rotors all around. Can the Reds really be that piss-poor as I just experienced??

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So what's the deal with the EBC reds? I just put them on with my big brake kit and they ****! OK around town but I was doing some spirited driving yesterday and I had brake fade so bad I about drove off the road. I have HAWKS on the rears with StopTech rotors all around. Can the Reds really be that piss-poor as I just experienced??

yeh I've heard that.

I ordered the Brakeman 3 pads, I am still on stock brakes, also ordered some Carbotech pads just because I am used to them on my last car and curious how they will be on the Viper.

I have been told the Mintex pads are good too.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No suggestions on camber/toe :(
It would be nice to have some ;)

The "SEARCH" function is your friend. How long and many corners does your favorite track have? Will you trailer the car, or will your tires have to live a dual life for the weekend? It makes a big difference.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wellll, Sunday I was at Gingerman Raceway watching Vipers race and snagged an awsome deal on rebuilt shocks/springs from an IL VCA member's Viper (Aaron), thank you John at Archer Racing!!!!:2tu:

Decided to order some other goodies to help me stop better at the track next wknd, first box arrived today, decorates my living room very well:headbang: This should hold me over 'til I can score a big brake pkg:D

cell_phone_026.jpg

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that the cone brake ducting?

If so can you send me pics of the install???:D

I learned I needed more brake cooling bad after the first track day.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are a ton of Pictures online of the event. Steve did very well in the 007 Comp Coupe. It was a great weekend we had all of the Viper Plant folks there as well as the Comp Coupe folks. Narra is at Heartland Park in July. This will be another fun event.I was a little sideways in turn one beginning of race.

NARRA Online

You must be registered for see images

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reds ****.

Dave, 2001 GTS owner with SRT brakes, 14" Euroteck rotors, and um...

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AWSOME picture:headbang:

I have a new screen saver oh yehhh

There are a ton of Pictures online of the event. Steve did very well in the 007 Comp Coupe. It was a great weekend we had all of the Viper Plant folks there as well as the Comp Coupe folks. Narra is at Heartland Park in July. This will be another fun event.I was a little sideways in turn one beginning of race.

NARRA Online

V

Venomiss

Any chance you will be going to Heartland Park Leslie?
If so shoot a PM.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Congrats! Did you catch a ride ride shotgun with Ben or Jim? I don't think you will ever be the same again.

btw: If you would like to buy gen 4 rotors for break upgrade pm me I have a set taken off at delivery...

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Leslie - You are SOOOOOO hooked now! :rolaugh: Too funny it took you this long to track it! :omg:

Congrats! Glad to see you have been bit deeper!

NARRA Online

Like a true yellow car! If the other cars will not move fast enough, pass them in the field!:rolaugh:

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Passing them in the field, I like that anology. Rich I absolutely agree with that theory, the bumble bee enjoys tall grass. Thanks for moving over:)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Leslie...PCA is the Porsche group ? What do they charge for an event ?

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welll HAD to go back to the track with the Viper, only 2 sessions my first run and I just didn't have enough of a fix.
Interesting stuff on the Viper, each 20 min. session on a 1.8 mile track took up over 1/4 tank of gas. Added 2 extra qts of oil for the one day run, is this common for the Viper? Seems to be running rich, corner workers said they kept seeing black out of the exhaust when at WOT. Coolant temps got up to 230 after a session, normally in my car it's around 190. Corners SO much better lowered and with a slight camber alignment. Few times wanted to go out on me but you just gotta pay attention haha. +5 to fun factor.

Ok, 2 track events down and I still havn't gotten a full wknd end due to brakes. Definitely seems to be the the weak pt in this car at the track.

Decided to try out the sample of Turbo Wax that Tito sent me and clean the Viper before I leave for the track.
Might as well start out clean...haha
cell_phone_077.jpg

Decided to stay at the hotel with my run group, party up and hang out with the porsche and harley crowd, free beer and steaks, who could argue?
cell_phone_089.jpg

Saturday sessions were great, shocks/springs, alignment, cooling kit/pads/rotors/fluids, car was running great! I was able to go deeper into the corners, worked more on late apex's and how to handle this beast.

Wow, always wondered what black chrome wheels would look like on my Viper
cell_phone_080.jpg

Started out 2nd day all excited to run, warm up lap entering turn 1, feel a 'thud thud thud' when I hit the brakes
cell_phone_093.jpg

As it always goes, the ONE event I DIDN'T bring extra rotors, so I loose an entire sunny day at the track. If it had been a NARRA/Viper days event, I am sure the guys would have hooked me up and saved my track time.

Luckily some friends of mine were there, so what else to do but get a couple of hot laps in...'his and hers' GT3 and a ZR1, took a ride in the vette and it was like a rocket ship!
cell_phone_087.jpg

cell_phone_086.jpg

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you are enjoying tracking the Snake Leslie!!

Temp a little worrisome...keeping in mind that 2001 waterpump impellers are known to fail!!!!