Traded my Viper yesterday...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I traded my Viper yesterday for an SRT-8 Challenger. At this moment, the Challenger is much more versatile and will be used more as the Viper just sat in the garage. Also, after 4 Vipers I guess I was ready for something different even though the Challenger is not in the class of the Viper. I love pony muscle cars, so I have always liked the Challenger. I plan on modding it with supercharger, shaker hood, and try to turn it into something resembling the old "AAR Cuda"... I may even have it made into a convertible. Probably won't be on here much anymore as I will be on the Challenger talk forum. I'll still be "Georgethedog" over there in case any of you have Challengers and get on that forum. Thanks to all the guys who helped me over the years--it was always much appreciated!!! :2tu:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck w/Challenger

Well, sorry to.see you leave the Viper world, but nice choice on the Challenger.

Enjoy the new ride!

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the Challenger. I had one. 09' SRT 6 speed. Lots of fun and practical too. Thanks for keeping the SRT tradition going!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All depends on your personal situation. I had a 300C SRT-8. Loved the 6.1, had it supercharged among other things. I bought it because it was going to be more practical than a Viper. Turns out I never used any of it's practicality and only drove it on nice days etc. So I finally sold it and just got what I wanted............A Viper!! Still miss that SRT-8 sometimes though, but in my situation the Viper is a better fit since the SRT-8 was a toy anyway.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Challenger will be a toy and also used to run errands, sometimes to commute, etc. The Viper was no good for those other things so I expect to get more use out of it. What supercharger did you use?

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Challenger will be a toy and also used to run errands, sometimes to commute, etc. The Viper was no good for those other things so I expect to get more use out of it. What supercharger did you use?

I know the question was asked of someone else, but I have an '09 SRT8 Challenger with the Vortech V3si centrifugal blower @ ~7 psi. It's been on the car for 2.5 years and about 18,000 miles, performing like a champ. Speedfactory did the install; they're a "top-tier" Vortech dealer. The car runs 11.6x @ 118 if I pull a 1.7s 60'. And it gets better mileage than it did when NA!

The first blown 6.4s are now showing up, and I think you'll be able to run the stock internals as long as you stay with mild boost (6-7 psi) and a good tune. I know a lot of people like the instantaneous torque curve you get with positive (screw) displacement blowers, but I'm a big fan of being able to keep traction and feel that boost come on more gradually. At the top end, you just keep pulling. And smiling.

Enjoy the Challenger,

Rich

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to see you go..but at least you're still keeping it in the family with your SRT-8 Challenger....Curious?...What dealership did you make the trade, what kind of offer did you negotiate, and how much did they offer you for your Viper?......Just Asking... ;)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will miss you Sir! But glad you stayed with the brand!

And we will see you in a few years. You will be back. Once you have been Viper bit, you don't go away. You check out other scenery, but you will be back. :D

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kept both! It will be awhile, thought, before the 392 will be electronically tunable. Hope to bump into you on the Chally forums; I'm 'Suitejudyblueyes' over there.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats George, as you can see from my sig, I have two SRTs......

I have *thought* about consolidating them into 1 Gen IV, but I just can't do it... I like the Superbee too much.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are great. Thanks for all the kind words. My kids are excited because they can both ride in Dad's car now!

I'll be around... :)

Yea, Hank, you are probably right! :2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gtd

congrats on your new ride, the mods sound they will be :2tu:

hope you post up here too

peace my friend

:drive:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 6cyl 2010 Challenger. It is the best looking practical car you can buy today. I can comfortably taxi my kid and friends to places filled with minivans without having the lifeless driving experience of a minivan. The trunk is just huge. George, you might as well still post here because I would bet another Viper is in your future. Enjoy the Challenger.:drive:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Challenger as another potential stablemate. Did you look/drive the Mustangs and Camaros when shopping? If you did, what were your impressions?

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Challenger as another potential stablemate. Did you look/drive the Mustangs and Camaros when shopping? If you did, what were your impressions?

I did not drive either car. The best looking retro car is the Challenger hands down and that is why I bought it. It may be heavy & bulky, but so was the old Chargers that I loved the most of all muscle cars. I've always been partial to bigger cars for some reason. Maybe it is because the first car I drove was a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker--maybe the biggest car ever... (probably not, but still big)

Oh, I'm not going completely away VENONAHOLIC since I really like conversing on this board. I'll be on the Challenger board a bit to talk and learn. Thanks, Eucharistos for you comments!!!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used the Vortec, gained 100rwhp. They were the only option at the time, by the time I had sold the car there were some nice roots style blowers on the market, Kenne Bell being the one I would've gone with doing it again. Not sure what's not he market now though?

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well seeing you have the 300 SRT8, then you have some good idea what we're talking about here with the Challenger. I had no desire to even look at pony cars as the Challenger is retro-gorgeous to begin with and has room for more than 2 people AND luggage. Did I mention the 6.4/392 motor is fantastic? The 5.7 in the RT was also impressive. If I wanted 4-doors, I'd be in a Charger SRT8 in a heartbeat!

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V-8 sound is great!!! I've lot a list of mods... Now I have to save...

Thanks again for all your help with the rollbar etc. Funny, I tried to buy an SRT-8 Challenger but couldn't get our local dealer to call me back and ended up with the Viper instead. I still would like to have a Challenger but I also have an RT Magnum that is the best driving car I have ever had. I don't drive it much but when I do, I just don't want to part with it. Yes it is big and handles like, well a very big car, but man is it cool. Good luck with your Challenger. Stay in touch. Joel

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never sell my Viper for a Challenger, but IMHO hands down it is THE BEST looking retro muscle car in the bunch(Mustang, Camaro, Charger etc.,) and I would love to have one :)

There are actually two Challengers parked outside of my work right now, both black too. Except one is the SRT package with red brembo brakes. It looks sick..

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Challenger is the best all around choice of the Retro Muscle! Dodge has a real winner with this car. I have to say the Camaro is more fun to drive but that is where the fun stops. The fit, finish and and attention to detail is seriously lacking. The way the doors close and everything that you touch, the car feels and looks like a econobox. The Mustang is cooler than before but Ford really missed the mark when they recreated the interior of the boring 70's Mustang. It is a shame they did it so well.
I took a friend who is shopping for a Mustang to check out the new Challenger. He wasn't happy that he enjoyed the car so much. Now ,he is in the valley of indecision...

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck, GTD and keep us posted as the mods add up. Nothing wrong with trying some STRANGE, but I bet you come back to your mistress before it's all said and done. :rolaugh: Challengers are great looking cars ... just don't know that the bulk wouldn't start to bother me in aggressive, busy trafffic. :omg:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456