Trans help...please

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the track on Monday and was having some issues with missing 3rd gear. Having never had that issue before I thought it was odd and chalked it up to a cold day. On the way home I noticed I could upshift thru all the gears but could not downshift from 6th to 5th. I ended up going from 6th to 4th just to upshift to 5th. The only time I can downshift from 6th to 5th is when the car is not moving. Could this be related to the internal rails? or does it sound more like synchronizers? There are only 3000 miles on the trans.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, I had similar issue at the track, I could not downshift to 3rd from 4th. It just wouldn't go into 3rd gear. Took it off the track and no problem sitting still. Been driving it few times after the track day and don't seem to have problems downshifting under normal driving, but I too warry that when I was pushing too hard to downshift I may have damaged some internal parts of the tranny.
Don't know if it helps, but I was told to bleed my tranny, seems to me that you got it worse than I and maybe beyond simple bleeding proceedure.
Tranny is the weekest link in these cars :-(.

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't honestly say without looking at it but it sound like a syncro issue.