UK fire car restoration what do you think?

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,
I wanted to show everyone these photos of a 1996 RT/10 that is for sale in the UK. This one has 16,000 miles on it and they are asking 62,000$ for it. When she first looked at it they didn't tell her about the fire she figured it out after a little digging into the cars history. What do you think should she buy it? Because of the car's history what's a fair market value for something like this? Here's pictures before the restoration.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score

After the restoration......can you believe they made it into a GTS and switched it to right hand drive as well ??

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that sounds like a good price for a car that looks like that and is already in Europe with no costs to ship and import duties already paid? The price is way high for here in the US. The Euro guys need to answer. Hearing the Australians talk about the cost of mandatory switch to RHD there, that sounds reasonable. I am betting that over there, a salvage car is not as big of a deal as long as there is proof of adequate repair. The magnitude of that work looks like someone that knows what they are doing, did it; but, no telling from pictures whether the details are good.

This one would only concern me as to whether the fire was hot enough to tweak the frame. The damage doesn't look like it was on fire that long.

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did they convert rt10 to gts??

i see that left rear wheel (rt10 burned) is bended too..

i think that 48000 usd is too much..IMHO

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did they convert rt10 to gts??

i see that left rear wheel (rt10 burned) is bended too..

i think that 48000 usd is too much..IMHO

The rear wheels are held in place as far as toe in and toe out by a trailing link similar to the front tie rods. They could have easily bent that or snapped the aluminum attachment point off the rear upright if they attached to that when winching it on a flatbed or trailer. But, that is definitely something to ask about and ensure that the frame is straight.

To me, it looks like maybe the fire occurred starting at the gas filler cap since I don't see any impact damage to any body panels. I'd certainly defer to you Euro guys as to value, though.

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
watch this..my friend here in italy

year 2000 - 48000 usd - 7000 miles

http://www.vallistore.com/2000-viper-rt10/

i bought it but i need '93 or '94 for taxes..

And now i'm watching '94 with windshield cracked for 42000 usd..

But do you want buy in Uk and take it in Usa? With steering to the right??

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No the story goes like this...My friend was visiting me from the UK here in California. She fell in love with my Viper and is now looking for one to buy in the UK.
watch this..my friend here in italy

year 2000 - 48000 usd - 7000 miles

http://www.vallistore.com/2000-viper-rt10/

i bought it but i need '93 or '94 for taxes..

And now i'm watching '94 with windshield cracked for 42000 usd..

But do you want buy in Uk and take it in Usa? With steering to the right??

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks better than new :) So it's selling for around 25000 Pounds? Remember, car prices in the UK are quite a bit higher than in the US, so sounds like a pretty good deal.

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks better than new :) So it's selling for around 25000 Pounds? Remember, car prices in the UK are quite a bit higher than in the US, so sounds like a pretty good deal.

about 30000 pounds

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm In the UK and I think the price for that car is ridiculous, the interior is horrid. There is no way I would touch that car. It was an RT/10 converted to a GTS and then converted to RHD.

For many of us in the UK the whole point of having an American Car is the fact that's LHD. Parking a LHD car is better, you can look out of the window to check you don't scuff your wheels on the curb. As for overtaking, you just hang back a bit and leave a bigger gap to see around the car, no big deal, but some people think so!

I think the price for that car should be in the very low £20,000 / £22000 region. There's no way I would ever go near something like that, those Venom kit cars have better interiors than that thing.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For many of us in the UK the whole point of having an American Car is the fact that's LHD.
Funny, here people ask me why I bought a RHD Morgan. I tell them that that is part of the point in having a British car. Having something a little different, and alternate driving position is easy to get used to.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch that Frankenstein either.. Interior is Fugly on top of it!!!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Typically fire and composites don't mix too well, so I'd be a little concerned regarding the main passenger compartment, but seeing as the car would have been a major overhaul for the body conversion, I'd assume they likely would have replaced a fair share of the pieces. Definitely unique with the RHD conversion, don't see many of those around. Whether you like the interior or not is personal taste. Dash is certainly a little odd to the eye for those used to seeing standard cars. Always the trade off with customizing, you might really like it, but the next guy/gal in line may not.

OP
OP
D

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh joy here's an update the price is actually 29,000 pounds = 46,644 $ this still is too much for that car I think..... even with low miles..... She is thinking of making an offer of 10,000 pounds (16,428 $) I think that's a good place to start.......

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"she"? Buyer is woman? If yes....Exotic woman!! Compliments!!

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can appreciate all the hard work to resurrect it but if it were mine, id set fire to it again. Just my opinion though...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big gamble on this car. Will not know how well it was put back together until it has gone down the road for a bit. Great value if it is well sorted, but horrible financial problem if it is poorly done.

Best to have it gone over by a mechanic with Viper experience. Need to know what a proper Viper should look like.

If it is so wonderful, why is it up for sale. Did guy just buy it and slap it together to make a quick profit, with you getting stuck with any problems. Since the seller failed to disclose it's fire history, I would probably just run away.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be the ugliest interior I've ever seen on a Viper. Hideous.
Why not buy at least ORIGINAL instrument cluster and gauges?? Hey, I know the answer, to save money...

The question is.......
Where else they "save" money???

I would not touch it with 5 foot pole, Give me a Vauxhall Viva instead.

04 SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's got a 98+ front end and 99+ wheels. Are you sure it's a 96? Either way too expensive. It can't cost that much to import one. Few thousand for shipping. Not sure on the import fees that are due.