VEC-II Abnomalies

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone experience their VEC acting up when it gets hot (the VEC that is)? I seem to be having a situation where my VEC craps-out once it gets hot under the hood Seems to be OK when cold). Possibly from getting wet a few times. I cleaned the circuit board a few times (corrosion on the aux box) but it doesn't really solve the problem. Basically when I go WOT under a hard load after the VEC gets hot, it takes a dump and faults out. My AFR goes into 9.0 and the engine loads up bad (Ty can explain if from following me). Can't accellerate and knocks to holy hell. At this point, I do a rolling key-off/on to reset the system and away I go...until I try and do it again. Closed loop drivability at this point ***** as well...so I think my VEC is totally screwing the pooch. No CELs or anything on the PCM. Need to shed the VEC and go 100% SCT I believe.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see from your sig that your car is boosted. You should just send the VEC in to Sean Roe and get it refurbed. ;) Problems solved.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sent the VEC into Sean a few years ago and had it upgraded. Called him about it and he basically stated that either the unit works or it doesn't and if I sent it in, all they could do is to verify its operation. From all outward apprearances, it seems to be working. I might have to try and pull a few logs when it craps out just to see what its doing, but most of the time when I'm logging, the software locks-up and dumps the log anyways. Really runs great when the VEC is cold. It starts acting up after I shut down and let it sit and then strat up and drive. Seems to get heat soaked IMO.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone near you with a VEC? Just swap them out and load your tune in there. You'll know right away if the VEC is your problem or not. ;)

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean got back to me and it appears that I've been running the injector driver box for low impedance injectors on my high impedance injectors...so how about that! Didn't think that was possible but its been that way for years. Sean recommends I remove the injector driver box and try it. So I guess it must be a fairly straightfoward disconnect.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean got back to me and it appears that I've been running the injector driver box for low impedance injectors on my high impedance injectors...so how about that! Didn't think that was possible but its been that way for years. Sean recommends I remove the injector driver box and try it. So I guess it must be a fairly straightfoward disconnect.

Cool. Hopefully it's a quick fix. :2tu:

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the drama continues. Sean and I have been trading e-mails on this trying to figure out what I have. Apparrently, the driver box I am referencing is indeed required, but Sean indicates that there are also additional peak and hold driver boxes that can be plugged into the harness. He thought I was talking about one of those. I guess what I have is the standard configuration "The small box with wires at one end is the load board for the stock PCM injector return signal. Do you have an injector resistor box? It would be between the VEC output and injector harness input."

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The extra box goes in the harness for the injectors. Only the black Mopar injectors need it, green or dark blue tops do not.....those are the three injectors Roe has used to my knowledge. You may have some other kind though. Swap the Vec box and see what happens.