Vendor Review: VIPER Magazine

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Love the high quality and glossy, glossy. Very good authors as well.

Also like the new information contained and the vendor ads are often helpful.

Ted

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Viper Magazine because they let me get a subscription 8 years before I was an owner. :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any chance of Viper mag getting a webpage with all issues?

Great pics and it's great to know what other Viper guys (and girls) are up to. Also great to know inside info on design, performance, new developments, etc.

Ted

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hardly a magazine - more like a glossy brochure for Vipers and advertisers. I never see any objective reviews of aftermarket products, real "how-to" stories, or any articles about modified Vipers. No project cars or tech articles, either (and a one page brief on what tranny fluid to use hardly constitutes "tech").

I do realize that the market wouldn't support a magazine because of the limited appeal/ownership/production #'s of Vipers, but it seems to be largely an advertising vehicle for Mopar.

Hey, this IS a review section... Flame on!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's hardly a magazine - more like a glossy brochure for Vipers and advertisers. I never see any objective reviews of aftermarket products, real "how-to" stories, or any articles about modified Vipers. No project cars or tech articles, either (and a one page brief on what tranny fluid to use hardly constitutes "tech").

I do realize that the market wouldn't support a magazine because of the limited appeal/ownership/production #'s of Vipers, but it seems to be largely an advertising vehicle for Mopar.

"Flame on"? I'll just respond to what you wrote using the last Viper mag issue and everyone can see that you never even looked at the magazine.

In FALL 08 Viper mag;
A real how-to on how the world record was set at Nuremburg Ring, 7.22 since you obviously never read it.

"Remembering Jim Clark" has racing (you know - modified) and Vipers in Germany

VOI X story, highlights, Milan dragracing (stock and modified), Grand Prix (again fully modified race cars), etc.

Mini Racers is a product review.

Clutch System Bleeding Service is a "How to"

So You Think You Know How to Drive is an article I wrote on "How to" do an HP Driving course and MY highly modified Viper GTS

Silver State Shootout is about an Extreme High Speed Rally which is attended mostly by Highly modified vehicles. and Viper coverage was excellent as well as including some excellent pictures.

Winter Workhorse shows a good sense of humor while dsiplaying more awesome photography and unusual situations.

Some club info (since it's a club publication) is informative

And many aftermarket products advertised, just in case someone wants to purchase aftermarket or replacement parts.

The aftermarket advertisments are obviously opposite of your comment about "largely an advertising vehicle for Mopar."

Sorry but you "review" is a comlete lie. Try reading the magaine.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like reading especially what OTHERS have done to their Vipers, other region's events/pics. There has to be some advertising in the magazine. If anything, maybe MORE people's stories could be incorporated quarterly? I always look forward to the new issue coming out! ~juli

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the mag. As Stretch said, I was subscribed long before the purchase.

Love the content, love the ads, love the glossy texture, however I do agree with Bruce, a center spread that can be removed for a poster would be awesome!:2tu:

Always waiting for the next issue in anticipation! Nice job JRT!:2tu:

Robert

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Flame on"? I'll just respond to what you wrote using the last Viper mag issue and everyone can see that you never even looked at the magazine.

In FALL 08 Viper mag;
A real how-to on how the world record was set at Nuremburg Ring, 7.22 since you obviously never read it.
Do you get any other automotive publications besides Viper magazine?? That article is NOT a "how-to," as in how to swap the gears in the rear, or how to adjust the rebound in your Koni's. THAT is a how-to.

"Remembering Jim Clark" has racing (you know - modified) and Vipers in Germany
This has nothing to do with modding a Viper, and last I checked, Jim Clark died 40yrs ago, so I know he never drove a Viper.
VOI X story, highlights, Milan dragracing (stock and modified), Grand Prix (again fully modified race cars), etc.
Was there a profile or detailed description of a single car?

Mini Racers is a product review.
Uh, OK, how does it improve my car's performance or appearance?

Clutch System Bleeding Service is a "How to"
Gee, what's next, "How to make sure your tires are inflated properly?" OK, it IS a how-to. I guess one page devoted to tech is a start.
So You Think You Know How to Drive is an article I wrote on "How to" do an HP Driving course and MY highly modified Viper GTS
Again, your article just shared a little of your experience. It was NOT a "how-to" in any sense and you didn't teach anyone anything.

Silver State Shootout is about an Extreme High Speed Rally which is attended mostly by Highly modified vehicles. and Viper coverage was excellent as well as including some excellent pictures.
OK, then why not contact the owner of one of the participating Vipers and do a detailed article about the car and the modifications, rather than a bland overview?
Winter Workhorse shows a good sense of humor while dsiplaying more awesome photography and unusual situations.

Some club info (since it's a club publication) is informative

And many aftermarket products advertised, just in case someone wants to purchase aftermarket or replacement parts.
Ahh, so THAT's why they have those ads there. Does the editorial staff ever install a part to see if it lives up to what the advertising proclaims? Or dyno test anything? Or compare parts or mods to see which one performs best? Many real car magazines do that, you know.

The aftermarket advertisments are obviously opposite of your comment about "largely an advertising vehicle for Mopar."
How would you expect to get honest and unbiased info if your newspaper was published by the Gov't? Easy - you wouldn't.
Sorry but you "review" is a comlete lie. Try reading the magaine.

A review, by its very definition, cannot be categorized as a "lie," you ridiculous, small-minded Mopar nut-hugger.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mag had it's trying times, especially when it included lots of other Chrysler products to the expense of limiting coverage of our beast, but now, with its mostly Viper content, I am one happy camper. Keep it up!

~Craig

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I do agree with chimazo. Yes, I do read every page. Its kind of sad that this is the only Viper Magazine out there.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So You Think You Know How to Drive is an article I wrote on "How to" do an HP Driving course and MY highly modified Viper GTS.

Ted, no offense (really, nothing personal) but I was expecting detailed information on what you actually learned on the course in terms of how to attack the corners, exit speed, apex, etc. You mentioned rain on the concrete chicane but you didn't describe the techniques you used and learned about how to handle the rain-slicked concrete...I think it was a good overview of your experience that day at the track and what's to be expected.

I can't relate to your "MY highly modified Viper GTS", as I, and many others, don't have 1,000HP Vipers. If you were to do it again, I'd love to see an article with more driving tips, techniques learned that the ordinary (if there's such a thing) Viper owner can relate to and, perhaps, the differences in driving tips between your 1000HP Viper and a stock one.

Then again, I can't stand fluff articles in the Viper mag but I am drawn to the technial how-to's. Keep those technical articles coming.

Last edited:

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the name calling is kinda pointless - can't we present an argument without just insulting each other? I stopped doing that in High School.

HOWEVER, I'm glad he raised the argument on the topic, because I too began purchasing Viper magazine from newsstands (actually had one bookstore in State College, PA that sold it) and my parents bought me my first subscription at about the time I graduated. As my knowledge of the automotive industry and technology grew (outside of VIPER mag,) I began realizing how shallow the magazine really was. I remember a brief article about a paralyzed man who had a "one-of-a-kind" Viper, outfitted with specialized equipment to allow a person of limited mobility to drive it. One modification was an automatic transmission. I was really anxious to read how the linkages were built, what kind of automatic was used, how it was installed, its affects (good or bad) on power output... There was none of that. It just ended after about 2 paragraphs with a cheesy line like, "...living proof that anyone can drive a Viper with enough determination!"

Now I realize that not all Viper owners are tech-savvy, but some of us are, and you have to figure that a very high percentage of subscribers are Viper owners. Give us something to chew on. We don't need sappy "Vipers are great!" slogans.

I was going to let my subscription lapse this year, however, now that I am a Viper owner, I will probably keep my subscription going a bit longer.

Jeff

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the magazine but mainly for the Viper photos. I find most the articles boring. I would love to see a true how to section with photos etc. (ranging from maintenance to small bolt ons). That would require some effort and time on somebodys part but you asked so thats my .02:dunno:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with CHIMAZO for the most part. Although I do read it cover to cover. I just wish there was more to it.
I also subscribe to: Road & Track
Car & Driver
Hemmings Motor News
Vintage Racecar Journal
AutoWeek
Vintage Motorsports
Gee, I guess I need to get a life!!!!!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/general...3-best-viper-magazine-yet-kudos-new-post.html
OOOOOOPS! Sorry, I forgot about the Viper Magazine Reviews! Should've posted here!
You'all do a GREAT job with the magazine, and I think this was the BEST yet...many, many personal stories/pictures, as well as Viper events from lots of regions! Keep up the GREAT work! I submitted our NY/CT Orange County Chopper Event hopefully for submission! KUDOS! ~juli

snakebite52

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i agree with chimazo. i hate the mag. no real interesting articles. no cool stuff. all boring past events. when is there gonna be something that wont make me fall asleep the minute i read the first page.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i agree with chimazo. i hate the mag. no real interesting articles. no cool stuff. all boring past events. when is there gonna be something that wont make me fall asleep the minute i read the first page.

Enthusiast - ever READ it?

Ted

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fixed it for ya! :D

I agree with CHIMAZO for the most part. Although I do read it cover to cover. I just wish there was more to it.
I also subscribe to: Road & Track
Car & Driver
Hemmings Motor News
Penthouse
Vintage Racecar Journal
Hustler
AutoWeek
******* Weekly
Vintage Motorsports
Gee, I guess I need to get a life!!!!!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice article on the LSD someone else asked about a couple weeks ago too. So, informative and also GREAT on regions' events and personal stories, congrats VIPZILLA on your car being shown!
~juli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper