VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

joe i was not making fun of you all i said was you shoulden't discredit scott on what he said and i still don't think you should, hes a cool guy and i don't think he would lie to us thats all im saying you may very well be right about this vipair i have no idea to be perfectly honest

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott,
It adds easy horsepower to your Viper.
Would you like me to explain how it works, in scientific terms?

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Graphite,
Please explain it to me...
I read all 1022 posts on this and I still can't figure out how it works :)
(can we make it to 2000?)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so said joe 117
My problem was with their hype, "feels more like 50hp", in trying to sell this thing to guys driving their Vipers on the street.

Mr Joe, I think I can finally construct an analogy that may help. It is like when a bunch of guys are hanging out after spring break and one says he has slept with 50 women. When actually, it was only 16. To him it felt like 50, but was truly only 16. COMPRENDO . :usa:

It is the rule of thirds(1/3). Just like the chick in American Pie explained it. :2tu:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott,
I'm not going to waste valuable scientific time on you until I have one simple understanding on your part - do you want CHEAP and EASY horsepower? If you don't, then I have bigger fish to fry and more important things to do.
Besides, how do I know that you are really Vipair material?
Graph

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey G.
Hmmmm am I Vipair material??.......let me think......
Maybe Im not, since first of all I have a gen 1 and it doesn't need an add on cold air system....
Could you give the "dummbed down" version of how it works for me... I am kinda messed up after reading over 1000 posts on the Vipair... :)
Maybe you could explain to me how "magic beans" work...
ps. I love this thread!
.....whats for breakfast??
Cheers,

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alright, that's it, if you don't want 50-60 extra HP, that's your business. Probably not emissions legal w/i 100 miles of Chino Hills anyway. However, you won't be eligible for a "Vipair" window sticker. Sorry, life can be tough.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scott,
I'm not going to waste valuable scientific time on you until I have one simple understanding on your part - do you want CHEAP and EASY horsepower? If you don't, then I have bigger fish to fry and more important things to do.
Besides, how do I know that you are really Vipair material?
Graph

I think you mean "Vipair worthy"

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

.... at 140 mph, air is flowing out of the NACA duct, not in. If I owned a Vipair, I would block off the NACA duct to prevent this from happening. A similar setup is used on the ORECA GTS-Rs and they in fact delete the NACA duct altogether, probably for the same reason.

I've done tests that repeatedly showed backflow out of the NACA duct below 50mph. But I've got to go back and make sure it wasn't because the TBs were only opened slightly by ...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so basicly after 1029 posts were still in the boat we came in on in which we don't know if the damn thing works lol

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At least one thing has been made clear and that is that Dawg needs some professional help.

:D :D ;) :p :headbang:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so do i if i don't get an answer to the vipair question lol

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After reading through pages 1-33 in a non stop rush, My eyes began Bleeding! I got the coldsweats! I felt sickly and threw up. I felt like I lost 50 pounds! but really it was only 16 pounds. I deserve a medal for slogging all of the way through this thread and will not be offering any summaries to anyone anytime soon. Read this thread at your own Pace! I tried to crunch it in one sitting and was crushed asunder!

Jay "m-w.com" Rules! K.

Jay K.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK, show of hands; all who believe 15 or more HP is available and all those who believe 14 or less HP is available.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

GraphiteGTS,

As you stated above "Would you like me to explain how it works, in scientific terms?" Yes, please explain how it works in scientific terms so people don't have to read all 35 pages.

If you want us to bite on the "show of hands" for HP gained, how about defining some of the variables and then I will give you my vote (just a partial list):
Year/Model of Viper
Upgrades (headers w/o heat shield, vented hood, etc)
Vehicle speed at which HP level is being measured
Rear wheel or flywheel HP
Ambient conditions
Degree of "heat soak" in engine compartment (just fired up the car or after 45 min of road racing)

You get the idea.

I look forward to your response so I can finally quit reading this thread and place my vote.

Regards,

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GraphiteGTS,

As you stated above "Would you like me to explain how it works, in scientific terms?" Yes, please explain how it works in scientific terms so people don't have to read all 35 pages.

If you want us to bite on the "show of hands" for HP gained, how about defining some of the variables and then I will give you my vote (just a partial list):
Year/Model of Viper
Upgrades (headers w/o heat shield, vented hood, etc)
Vehicle speed at which HP level is being measured
Rear wheel or flywheel HP
Ambient conditions
Degree of "heat soak" in engine compartment (just fired up the car or after 45 min of road racing)

You get the idea.

I look forward to your response so I can finally quit reading this thread and place my vote.

Regards,

Just a quick question. I have heard the term "heat soak" before, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Is it just an engine that is at full operating temp (say normal driving for 15 minutes) or does it mean full on race conditions?
Just curious.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is how it works

http://www.vipairperformance.com/howitworks.html

Just to clear the "air", out of all the Vipairs™ sold to date, none have been returned on our money back guarantee.

The only person to dyno and get NO GAIN in HORSEPOWER is RussM who, also has proven that K&N's and smooth tubes give NO GAIN in HP

These do not work on GEN 1, as GEN 1's already have a factory VIPAIR™, GEN 3's Draw all their intake air the same as a GEN 2 with a VIPAIR™ if you partially block the NACA duct.

There is now a GEN 1 VIPAIR™ that allows GEN 1 owners to install a FACTORY TEN carbon fiber airbox ( available exclusively through Vipair Performance.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is how it works

http://www.vipairperformance.com/howitworks.html

Just to clear the "air", out of all the Vipairs™ sold to date, none have been returned on our money back guarantee.

The only person to dyno and get NO GAIN in HORSEPOWER is RussM who, also has proven that K&N's and smooth tubes give NO GAIN in HP

These do not work on GEN 1, as GEN 1's already have a factory VIPAIR™, GEN 3's Draw all their intake air the same as a GEN 2 with a VIPAIR™ if you partially block the NACA duct.

There is now a GEN 1 VIPAIR™ that allows GEN 1 owners to install a FACTORY TEN carbon fiber airbox ( available exclusively through Vipair Performance.

Ok MR.Conspiracy theory,

Since I am the ONLY person who has done any dyno work with your product, besides offcourse your feels like 50 hp by the seat of the pants pulls.

Where are the rest of the dyno runs?

It has been almost a year since you came out with this product and you claimed in several posts to have your own dyno results shortly?

You guys are quick at trying to discredit me, but have no facts of your own to back up your claims. Now I would say its time to get some numbers of your own wouldnt you say?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ,

I posted the dyno results that start this thread, they are also available on the website.

Russ,nobody is trying to discredit you, you have in fact proved that a Vipair™ creates a power increase on a viper exactly the same amount as adding a set of K&N's and smooth tubes! Right Russ? It Just happens that you have this number pegged at zero HP and every body else in the viper community has this number pegged at 10-20 HP.

Thanks Russ,

Steve

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ALL independent tests have shown no gain. No change in temp, no HP gain, NOTHING.

End of story. Let it die.

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipah,

I believe your "ALL" is RUSSM, is it not, Vipah?

Remind me, was it you or somebody else that bought the K&N's and smooth tubes for the "looks", not the performance gain?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well in the same token i have seen many peoples gains on the smoother tubes and filters as well as every tuner i know of dynos as well as my own and i think just about everyone on here agrees that they do add.

Like i said i never tired the vipair but i will say this Scott at elite uses that type of air induction on his cold air induction system and those have been proven time and time again that they are great so take it as you want it i guess

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'll jump back in on this one, why I don't know because I don't have any vested interest in Vipair. I am just trying to help those interested understand the ram air/cold air theory.

RussM, thanks for doing some testing! I did some math on this in an earlier post as my motor is out of the car so no real world testing for me right now. I just think there are a few issues with the test method I would like to discuss. You tested pressure with a "normal pressure guage vacuum" which I doubt had the accuracy to show the mathematically predicted <1psi pressure increase. Also, you had a stock box with the rain baffle and drains that could have bled off any pressure. On the dyno, you compared the vipair with the hood closed compared to a stock box with the hood open - not allowing ingestion of the hot underhood air. Then, after lunch, you did some other runs just to show the ability to manipulate dyno numbers a fair degree. Then you closed the hood and got no increase from earlier in the day on one final pull. Did underhood temperatures have the ability to reach those under normal operation? A fan is a good idea but not even close to real operation.

Anyway, I don't think the dyno is where anyone is going to see this modification show noticeable results. Here's why:
1) Any effect from "ram air" will not be realized because air is not flowing over the car at a high rate of speed (earlier the math was shown to have minimal pressure, <1 psi, differential below 100 mph or so), a fan just will not do it,
2)From what I have seen posted (and RussM showed this very clearly), people are very careful to have their cars fairly cold when dynoing. Most people have posted that if you do a bunch of runs in a row, the numbers drop. Therefore, the tester would really need to get the underhood temperatures hot before the back-to-back dyno runs to test the airbox for the cold air theory,
3)On a dyno, there is no pressure differential inside versus outside the hood. When a Viper is moving at a high rate of speed, the under hood pressure is higher than the pressure on the hood (if someone doesn't believe me, take the mounting bolts off of your hood and drive down the street, see if at speed it stays on - greater pressure outside - or flies off - greater pressure under the hood). This higher under hood pressure would tend to drive air into the sides of the stock airbox bringing in hotter air than outside the car. If anyone thinks the under hood air is the same temp as outside, ask yourself where that air comes from. Through the radiator. If there is no increase in heat after the air has passed through the radiator, radiators don't work. That sounds like grounds for another thousand post thread - sorry. :eek:

Therefore, I'll summarize my thoughts and go away. I think the increase gained by ram air is real, but very minimal and only then at very fast race track speeds. I think leaving the NACA duct open with the vipair is the wrong thing to do. I think the cold air aspect will make noticeable power under the proper conditions. These conditions are very difficult to test properly - a static dyno is not the place. However, I do question why every fully developed racecar (factory cars, etc) all go to great lengths to get cold air into the airbox if this theory doesn't work. FYI, every 10 degrees change in intake air temperature (using 77 degrees as a baseline) is a 1% change in HP!

Here is a HP calculator for air pressure, temperature, humidity:
http://www.wheels-of-fortune-autoclub.com/relhumhpcalc.html

RussM - thanks again for taking the time and money to go out and independently test a product and post the results.

Vipah, et al - Believe what you want to believe as I will. I will now do my part to let this die and not post on this thread again.

Regards,

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Look back through the posts. There were one or two others that did some testing of air temp and saw no difference.

So beleive what you want, but reality is that the air coming in without the Vipair is already at the same temp as ambient. So NO GAIN.

:headbang:

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The poster above should be forced to sell his Viper as pennance for bringing this back.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Time to get serious: Just how much RWHP does Vipair add to the average Viper?

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Look back through the posts. There were one or two others that did some testing of air temp and saw no difference.

So beleive what you want, but reality is that the air coming in without the Vipair is already at the same temp as ambient. So NO GAIN.

:headbang:

Not to beat a dead horse but as i have said in many post there is nothing in the Vipair to change temps.Its SOLE!!! job is to provide an unobstructed path of consistant air flow of ambiant temps to the motor.The higher the speeds the better the gains.Supercharged cars, especially Roe blowers are very air demanding and this is a worthy and proven mod for such.I can tell you that at 55-70mph you probably will not see gains, but i can assure you that above that and especially 1/4 mile racing, significant gains are to be had.We recieve many calls on this and callers from here will attest to the fact that i am very forthcomming about this and clearly explain if they are looking for driving speed gains this will not yield its gains until higher speeds.I am not trying to stir the *** here but there is misinformation about this product.At no time have I ever said that it would give anything better than ambiant air temps.I wish anyone that is involve with SCCA racing or lemans could explain the reason these cars are sealing there naca ducts.As i have said before many times this is not some new fangled product,this has been track proven for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen