VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

I know this is all about being the longest post and I have not read all of the replies so the answer may be in here somewhere. But based on the last few pages I scanned where technical assumptions are being made, it looks like the jury is still arguing about ram air - real or not.

Well, here is the answer for all of you as this problem can be easily solved using Bernoulli's Equation.

Bernoulli's equation states along any point on a streamline the relation between Local static pressure (P), density (p) and Velocity (V) is: P/p + (V*V)/2 = constant

Applying this to a moving car, the local air velocity increases due to the car deforming the local streamline as it flows around/over the body. Therefore, we can write the equation for a point at infinity in front of the car and a point at the car and as such the constant equals the same because we are only comparing the velocity and pressure at these two points in the flow. Using Pinf=Pressure Ambient, Vinf=vehicle speed, PA=static pressure near the vehicle surface, and VA=local air speed, the equation becomes: PA/p + (VA*VA)/2 = Pinf/p + (Vinf*Vinf)/2

Looking at a position/opening at the front of the car where local velocity approaches zero (ram air box leading to a throttle body, radiator, etc), this gives us a VA=0, solving for this gives you:
PA/p = Pinf/p + (Vinf*Vinf)/2

If the vehicle is traveling at say 30m/sec (67mph) and using density of air at 1.22 kg/m3 (20 C and 1 atm), solving the equation yields PA - Pinf = (Vinf*Vinf)*p/2 = (30*30)*(1.22/2)= 549N/m2 = 0.08 psi.

Going 60 m/sec (134 mph) yields a positive pressure of 0.32 psi.
Going 90 m/sec (201 mph) yields a positive pressure of 0.72 psi.

There you go - ram air is real. It is free HP and I'll take it.

Hope this helps :2tu:

P.S. If you still don't believe, you never will as this is the exact principle that pitot tubes rely on to measure air speed on airplanes. It has been around for a while (Henry Pitot invented it in the late 1700's and it was refined into its modern form by Henry Darcy in the early 1800's) and we are still using it today on pretty much every aircraft built.

Regards,

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

now if that doesn't officially end this thread, only einstein coming back from the dead will.... lol.

goodbye long thread

:p

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So, therefore, just how many RWHP does the Vipair add at, say, 150MPH. (The speed at which I plan to depart driving school Monday night.)

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess you need to go read the whole thread. It isn't about ram air it is about air temp. The claim is that the air temp with Vipair is lower and makes HP.

It has been proven that this is not the case though. You just have to read every post to find it. :headbang:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess you need to go read the whole thread. It isn't about ram air it is about air temp. The claim is that the air temp with Vipair is lower and makes HP.

It has been proven that this is not the case though. You just have to read every post to find it. :headbang:

once again, vipa has proven COMMON SENSE IS A DANGEROUS THAAAANG. :eek:

IBetheevenrepliestothis.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sorry to make this thread re active but i gotta know with all this crap some people say yes some people say no should i get one, i was looking into getting one but with all this who knows so bottom line does it gove 16 rwhp on a 99 R/T cuz i got a 99 R/T if it does i will get it

ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE IT OR HAD IT ON A DYNO

look on the bright side maybe now it can be the first thread ot hit 1000

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey its my turn.
Bought one and installed in 10 min,and most importantly looks cool when the hoods open @ front.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

can you still have the smooth tubes and all that?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WCKDVPR's eloquent response is missing one vital point. There is no ram-air effect on a NACA duct. These were designed expressly to create no drag. It is merely an inlet. No drag...no ram-air.

(And yes, I do understand a pitot tube's function...but it is out in the open directly in the airstream.)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

so your saying there is no need for the vipair??

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doesn't Vipair create Ram Air though from using the ducts at the facia?

Mike

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Where can one see what number post this is (i.e., are we close to 1000)?

I feel I deserve to win after spending so much time reading this thread. :laugh:

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

By the way ViperMed, you have a VoiceMail from me this afternoon. Thanx in advance for your call back. :)

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Matt M,

The Vipair pulls air from in front of the radiator after it has passed through the grille opening in the fascia. At this location the local air speed is very near zero and the pitot tube example applies. The Vipair does have a small opening to also allow air in from the NACA duct but it is not the primary source of air. I know for a fact (jrkermode and I tested it) that with the top panel removed in front of the radiator (allowing air from in front of the radiator to enter the engine compartment by flowing over the top of the radiator), which is where the Vipair gets its air, at 140 mph, air is flowing out of the NACA duct, not in. If I owned a Vipair, I would block off the NACA duct to prevent this from happening. A similar setup is used on the ORECA GTS-Rs and they in fact delete the NACA duct altogether, probably for the same reason.

As soon as I get my engine back from Arrow, I am going to borrow/buy one of these Vipairs and instrument the heck out of my car with and without one (I have access to a portable 12 channel thermal/pressure datalogger). Then I'll post some real results from a track day.

Regards,

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's excellent Mike! Finally someone is actually going to test this product in the only conditions that COULD provide a decent measurable gain if there is ever going to be any....

AT SPEED!

Expecting to find one on a dyno was always wishful thinking because the stock airbox has been proven to handle a lot more than stock hp simply by changing to K & N filters... so if the stock airbox supplies enough air - giving it more won't make any difference. The test will be whether it can supply colder air at speed...

we await your results while the post count ticks on...

I predict a sudden feeding frenzy as the post count nears 1000 - like starved sharks thrown a terrorist body bag - forum posters will go postal to be the one to hit 1000 and achieve fame....

alas fame - but without fortune :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well i think im just going to get the cold air induction from scott when i get my roe charger besides he says SOMEWHERE IN THIS BIG ASS POST that his system uses a type od vipair design

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stu,
I am responsible for this Vipair argument.
If you want to know the truth about the device and the silly claims made by the sellers, simply read the posts.

The posts with the picture on the left, of the black car by the water, are mine.
Those are the correct ones. Some of the others are correct, when they agree with me, that is.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Torquie,
I want that prize for Viper improvement.

The clutch assembly rotating in its bell housing will work as a centrifugal supercharger.

Properly positioned air inlets and outlets will provide free, compressed air to be routed to the intake.

The guy who comes up with the proper bell housing to take advantage of this will make lots of money.

Just remember, anyone who uses this idea has to pay me a dollar for each one sold.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So, therefore, just how many RWHP does the Vipair add at, say, 150MPH. (The speed at which I plan to depart driving school Monday night.)

I will and can say that the above will find the best benefits of the Vipair.This HAS been proven.But really just takes common sense to know this.As i said before this is not a theory or anything new for this car.This has been proven for years on the track by profesionals

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So Mr Vipermed,
What is the boost and what is the intake air temp reduction?

Do you know?

Let's have the numbers. If you don't have any numbers on the air temperature reduction or boost, please say so.

Please don't make claims based on things like,

"This has been proven for years on the track by profesionals",

or, "feels more like 50hp".

Seems like we have been through all of this before. You have no data other than some dyno runs that conflict with dyno runs made by others.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stu,
I am responsible for this Vipair argument.
If you want to know the truth about the device and the silly claims made by the sellers, simply read the posts.

Joe, I think it would be a tragedy for you to accept all the blame.....there are many others who have contributed to the dispute as well.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So Mr Joe

once you are done here do you plan on arguing with the professional race teams (described earlier in this topic) who utilize this technology or will you just continue arguing with the vendors here. Just wanted to make sure you don't neglect anyone.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So Mr Vipermed,
What is the boost and what is the intake air temp reduction?

Do you know?

Let's have the numbers. If you don't have any numbers on the air temperature reduction or boost, please say so.

or, "feels more like 50hp".

Seems like we have been through all of this before. You have no data other than some dyno runs that conflict with dyno runs made by others.

Your right what was i thinking.i stand corrected once again by Joe 117,but i brought the thread closer to 1k :rolleyes: also please dont put words in my mouth as the 50 hp statement was not made by me and as far as the proven for years claim.Maybe you should read something other than this redundant thread.And please dont make claims that i have no data as you do not know me, have never spoken with me and have no idea what data i have or dont have :p Oh and one last thing if i dont reply to your next statement(which i am sure will be within seconds)Then it must just mean that i.................well you know

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Joe, relax. You take this thread far too seriously. :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe

i don't know anything about the vipair but i will tell you this I talked to Scott at Elite earlier today and i was going to purchase his cold air induction system today and he told me that it would do me more good to wait for the roe super charger, (Scott you might remember the call) now im sorry but i feel that is a really really stand up thing to do, he could have made a sale but he was more interested in me as the customer being happy with the product, and thats friggin rare now of days so i highly doubt he is trying to decive anyone here.

Joe i have nothing against you at all but
Like i said this has nothing to do with the vipair nor do i know a damn thing about it but you shouldent try to discredit guys like Scott who try their best to help us as viper owners the best that they can

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Post #987, WE ARE ALMOST THERE! Hey Scott, how about a free Vipair the the one that make the 1000th post :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

is 1000 the longest thread ever?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Post #987, WE ARE ALMOST THERE! Hey Scott, how about a free Vipair the the one that make the 1000th post :D

Hey!!!!!!!!! That's a good idea!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.