VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SUN RA KAT

Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Good intelligent post on the previous page, Torquemonster! This never ending thread is now over 900 posts. I'm waiting for Sean Roe's intercooler to come out just to make sure the Vipair will fit with the intercooler before I get my Vipair.

Meanwhile, carry on posters! :2tu:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its alive!

Can't beleive I missed post 900. Damn, I'll need to shoot for 1000.

I think there is a good prize for that one.

:2tu: :2tu:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Back on topic....

if that's possible :D

In the light of track experience with a similar product tested by GTSDEAN...

Who is willing to concede that despite conflicting dyno evidence - with the recent dyno tests published here showing no gains for Vipair - THAT....

THERE MIGHT BE HP at speed out on the road - enough to make a difference over a back straight or a trap speed on the strip?

Anyone willing to concede that is possible?

I'll get my pop corn - anyone else want some??

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well Barry, I'll sign on for that.

At very high speed, I believe that Vipair might give some extra power. If there is some aero problem that vipair addresses, it might act as a fix.
Not enough to be measurable this side of the salt flats and perhaps not even there.
There is no way the vipair could give any SOTP improvement.

I do not believe it will give any measurable performance increase on a 1/4 mile drag strip. The possible gains are too small and all the other variables of drag racing would put any improvement down in the noise.

Would you go faster in a 1/4 mile run if you took all the change out of your pockets?
I would have to say yes, hp/weight is what it's all about.
Could you measure the improvement? No, it's down in the noise.

My complaint concerned what I see as hype from the sellers, trying to fool their friends in order to get money.
The "feels more like 50hp" claim was, in my opinion, blatant hype.

And it's great to be back.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post.

But you feel that any speed improvement would be so small it would be lost in the noise...

is that because you feel that the stock air box provides enough cold air?

What about GSTDEAN's results on the JH airbox - that was measurable in both track and at strip - and the difference was beyond mere "noise" - this is a racer with a lot of race miles under his belt and who will notice even small changes... why do you think the Vipair could not do the same at those speeds?

Do you think the JH box is simply better?

I suspect there's no dyno proof of the JH box - for same reasons the Vipair will not work without real world airflow at speed.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't seen the results you speak of, GTSDEAN's that is.

Remember Barry, there were on the road measurements made without vipair in place, comparing ambient air temperature to temp inside the airbox.
There was no difference inside to outside. This is proof that vipair could not improve anything.

Could some other airbox give some improvement? I don't see how. The temp inside is already ambient.

Could improvement be gained from flow? Well, I guess. Where's the data?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't seen the results you speak of, GTSDEAN's that is.

Could some other airbox give some improvement? I don't see how. The temp inside is already ambient.

Could improvement be gained from flow? Well, I guess. Where's the data?

I'll repaste from what I quoted in my first post yesterday (page 30)

"Let's talk about air boxes then. I've dyno'd my GTS on 4 different machines since '99 and from 11k to 25k miles. With the exception of a mustang shop in SA that wasn't properly altitude corrected, every one indicated between 410 and 413hp with a fully warmed engine. New u-joints and diff made no measureable difference on my car from my March and December '03 pulls. Stock airbox with smoothies and K&Ns dyno'd the same on a hot, humid day in Houston as the [******] CF box did on a cold, dry day in SA. However, at TWS, my front straight speeds are about 4-6mph higher with the [******] box, and my trap speeds at the strip are up from ~116mph to consistently around 121+ mph. I don't give a rat's a$$ how much fan you blow at the front end, you will not duplicate the pressure differences at the airbox in real life. Saturday, my cool engine made 8hp more than my warm engine. It was the only time I've seen this "magic" 420hp number for my filters and tubes car."

I understand other factors could come into play - but it seems like the JH airbox helped - what else would have given this high speed power gain?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did see that, I just forgot.

Well, he says the car always dynos 410 to 413 and now he sees 420. So he says 8hp more, and he sees it on the dyno.
I'd say 8hp out of 420 would qualify as being down in the noise.

As for his trap speeds and speed on the straights, did he do a back to back test? Doesn't look like it.
He's using a well known box, what do all the other users say?

To have a top speed gain of 6mph, he would have to have picked up 40hp. Do you think he could get that with an air box? I don't.

I can't really argue with his results. He must know his car but I just think the speed numbers are lots higher than I would think one could get from an air box.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any links to more information on this specific airbox?

S

SUN RA KAT

We should keep this thread going until at least we get the next issue of Viper Magazine. :headbang:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We stop the thread for the 15 minutes it takes to read the magazine.

Andy

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We stop the thread for the 15 minutes it takes to read the magazine.

Andy

ha ha ha ha that's a good one :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wondered if anyone else thought that. There really isn't much to it.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!
#324717 - 09/26/03 03:38 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Last night we borrowed a close to stock 99RT10 and took it to the local dyno shop. The car has K&N filters and a borla cat back. The dyno runs were done with the hood closed, just as it is in everyday driving.

Baseline run the car did 371.9 RWHP and 419.9 RWTQ, 5 minutes later with the VIPAIR™ installed the car did 388.3 RWHP and 436.5 RWTQ an increase of about 16 RWHP and 16 RWTQ. While this result was exciting the best part was the drive home as the car felt like it had picked up an extra 50 RWHP, all the extra cold air was doing its job.

The Vipair comes with a full money back Guarantee " if you buy one and you don't like or don't feel the difference you will get your money back in full"

To order you can email me or PM your order or call 1-877-486-4461 ext.23 if there is no answer just leave your call back info, or call Vipers by Elite at 1-813-294-9886 to order as well. The VIPAIR costs $199.

--------------------
2000 GTS
Roe SC #22, Greg Good Heads, JE Pistons, TNT Kingsnake Cam, 1.7 T&D's, 70 mm TB's, B&B complete, VEC2, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce DF Clutch, Forgeline VR1's, cat delete
03 SRT-10 Red
02 X5 4.4i
03 E500 Sport

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did see that, I just forgot.

Well, he says the car always dynos 410 to 413 and now he sees 420. So he says 8hp more, and he sees it on the dyno.
I'd say 8hp out of 420 would qualify as being down in the noise.

As for his trap speeds and speed on the straights, did he do a back to back test? Doesn't look like it.
He's using a well known box, what do all the other users say?

To have a top speed gain of 6mph, he would have to have picked up 40hp. Do you think he could get that with an air box? I don't.

I can't really argue with his results. He must know his car but I just think the speed numbers are lots higher than I would think one could get from an air box.

For my first - and possibly last reply to this insane thread:

The 8 hp dyno gain was from a cooler engine vs a fully warmed engine. It was a one-time, one-shot deal on back-to-back pulls. That's fine info for a drag car, but it isn't worth a darn on the street or at a REAL race track. You know - the kind with left AND right corners, speed up, slow down, shift gears both ways, and over multiple laps.

My front straight and trap speeds were not back to back, but from enough different trips to the various tracks with no other mods to make a good, normalized comparison. I don't agree with your assertion that it takes 40hp to make 5mph. Maybe at 190mph, but not at 120-140mph.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...According to the DLM website's dyno calculator, it takes 59hp to increase a 3600# car's 1/4 mile trap speed from 116 - 121mph...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"I don't agree with your assertion that it takes 40hp to make 5mph. Maybe at 190mph, but not at 120-140mph."

Yes, what I meant was that if you are geared properly for top speed and you want to increase top speed it will take 40hp to gain 5mph. As in 185mph to 190.

If the speed on straights was not top speed then that's not what I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.