VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Any links to more information on this specific airbox?

I tried but there's no specific info on it on Johns website, plus he's too busy building twin turbo Vipers to answer my email asking for more details for this thread.... grin

but - I have a graph from someone who has tested both cold air and ram air intakes showing the hp gains of each and both combined....

I go it from tech notes taken from a lecture given by the famous engine builder and mechanical engineer - David Vizard who has written in 3000 journals and magazine articles and authored numerous books on making power.

Data - assuming 150 degree underhood air....
At 100mph cold air drops 150 degree ambient underhood air down to 100 degrees and picks up 5% power by doing so. Ram air adds another 1% to combine for a 6% gain at 100mph.

By 150mph the intake air is reduced from the ambient underhood 150 down to under 75 degrees, with a 8% power gain from the cold air and another 2.5 increase from ram air totalling a 10.5% gain.

At 50mph ram air contributes only 0.5% - which most would argue was simply dyno noise. Cold air at 50mph is good for just over 2% power gain

The ram air curve is not a straight line - it begins to accelerate as the speeds build, the cold air graph however is a straight line.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For my first - and possibly last reply to this insane thread:

The 8 hp dyno gain was from a cooler engine vs a fully warmed engine. It was a one-time, one-shot deal on back-to-back pulls. That's fine info for a drag car, but it isn't worth a darn on the street or at a REAL race track. You know - the kind with left AND right corners, speed up, slow down, shift gears both ways, and over multiple laps.

My front straight and trap speeds were not back to back, but from enough different trips to the various tracks with no other mods to make a good, normalized comparison. I don't agree with your assertion that it takes 40hp to make 5mph. Maybe at 190mph, but not at 120-140mph.

Hey GTS DEAN - sorry to drag you over here... but thanks for that because your data was the best real world data I could find in the Viper scene and gives real world results not dyno theories.

At 120mph there is 2% hp gain from ram air up for grabs and 6% from cold air for a total potential gain of 8%. Therefore, with 150 degree underhood temps - cold and ram air would take base power from 410rwhp to 443rwhp... enough to trap a few mph higher.

by 140mph the combined gains are potentially very close to 10% - which would provide 451rwhp. That'd make a difference down the back straight!

In low temps - the gains would not be so high.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW
Think i aam the first BRIT on this one.........
But i do have a ??? Have a 94 RT just ordered a new CF airbox and the front part of the stock airbox looks like it wont fit will the VIPAIR fix this prob..

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Barry,
I won't argue the actual numbers you present. I do have a question.
When you give all these percentage gains that David Vizard says are available, such as,

"Data - assuming 150 degree underhood air....
At 100mph cold air drops 150 degree ambient underhood air down to 100 degrees and picks up 5% power by doing so. Ram air adds another 1% to combine for a 6% gain at 100mph."

My question is this,
How can anyone say that 5% is available in any given car because the underhood temp can be dropped by 50deg at a certain speed?
How do you know that the Viper isn't already doing that?

How can anyone say 1% is available from ram air without knowing how much of this is already being gained by the stock setup.

My point is that these figures are not being presented in any sort of scientific way and so I dispute the validity of the numbers.

A 5% gain is available in a Geo or a Viper. Of course, if the underhood temp is reduced 50 deg, they will both gain 5%. What if the Viper is already close to ambient temp at 50mph highway speed?

How can the mph numbers be linked to the real underhood temp reduction without being car model specific?

How do you know that the Viper does not already do a wonderful job of reducing underhood temp and no further gains are possible?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I couldn't resist.......... I clicked!!!!!!!!!!!

I know,,,, now I have to go sit in the corner :(

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I couldn't resist.......... I clicked!!!!!!!!!!!

I know,,,, now I have to go sit in the corner :(

OMG!!!! It is alive again. Only a few more to go until 1,000! :headbang:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Duh, une qwestion fer de x-perts oute their..Jest howe meeny whorses do de vipperaire ad two a fellers reere wheeles..Ah heered ober uh hennered..daT write??

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It had to happen - the beast has risen again

dang Poms asking questions again.....

:D just kidding - I've got English in me too

Joe - first time I've seen your reply.... if you manage to find your way back in here without stepping on that steamer you left in here somewhere.... here's my answer...

I agree with you - it's a good question.

:2tu:

I think the speed gains that GTS Dean got with a different product indicate there is potential for improvement over stock however.... and that was only seen at speed - never on the dyno... so the arguments roll on :p

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay, just finshed taking the Viper out for a spin and measured the inlet air temps. Without the Vipair it was about 0 F. With the Vipair it was .............drum roll please .................

ZERO. IT is TOO fricking cold here for the Viper to heat the air around it. Period.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have 10 bucks, Canadian, that says I'm post number 1000.
I'm not sleeping until I ring in the 1000th Vipair post. Could make Guiness BWR.
So, let 'em fly. My hands aren't leaving these keys until I win.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Keep your $7 bucks Graphite :laugh: 'cause there's no way your'e gettin' the 1000th.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't care who gets the 1,000th as long as he/she is a yellow viper owner. :cool:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard that you'll pick up 50hp seat of pants if you combine the Vipair with a Tornado

but Joe117 does tend to exaggerate at times

:p

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Barry, It won't work.

I am flying above this like a greenfly over a treatment plant.

It look's like it would be good, but I got enough $hit last time.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Barry,

Joe

Who gave you $hit last time. Just let me know ASAP and I will take care of them. :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Barry, It won't work.

I am flying above this like a greenfly over a treatment plant.

Hey hey Joe,
You gave it just as much as you got it(I bet :D ). Man you were all over me about MY post :cool:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Damnit Mitch....you had to didn't you?...lol

Somebody had to....... lets just say I fell on the sword for all of ya!!!!!! :D

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok guys - seriously - the propeller heads got this thread to the record books at 10000 views, and that 1000th post is now so close we just can't let it die...

yet the topic died a long time ago because there's no more to be said

this is a problem

here's my suggestion.... let's try to come up with some ingenious ideas that will make more power on a Viper without costing a lot of money.... more power I said - so taking off panels to save weight doesn't count....

The winner I will treat to a super sized warm fish milkshake, complete with a hair in it - maybe one found sticking to a restroom door to garnish the morsel.... there ya go - what more incentive do we need

I'll start....

Move the air intake vent from the center to one side then add a second - so there are two side by side plumbed into the airbox - which would need to be modified to suit. This will double the area of cold air intake and should aid power from 100mph upwards. It will not show a gain on the dyno - but should help top speed.

next idea....

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tourquie!!!!!!! I knew I could count on ya!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I think someone should run the intake hoses to the rear of the hood where there's positive air pressure at speed, you'd have cowl induction ram air effect!!!!!! :2tu:

It would have to be good for at least 40-50 h.p.'s......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te