VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

There is only one word that can describe what Eddy is going through right now, and that is denial.

denial: An unconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There is only one word that can describe what Eddy is going through right now, and that is denial.

denial: An unconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings.

I thought denial was a river in Egypt????
......Whats for dinner????
Cheers,

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Edmonton,

You know what, I give up.

Yes the Vipair makes 16rwhp, happy?

Now does anyone want a silver Vipair for 1/2 price?

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, no new post from Eddy! Could reality finally have set in?

Amazing.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This thread seems to have missed me.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Boy, I hope Eddy hasn't done anything rash now that it is clear there are no gains with Vipair.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, the fun of fanning the flames, and tossing on a little gasoline to boot. We are ONLY at 726 so need to pick up some steam to get to 800. What is the VCA record???

So to fan the flames I am going to jump in on the side of Vipair. Did I just write that? Hmmm. The point I wanted to make is that the temperature difference that I expect is probably around 5 to 7 degrees, under steady state conditions. More if the underhood is heat soaked from parade duty or a heat soak. Now 5 to 7 degrees does not sound like much but it will add hp. Probably sub teen levels, but measureable hp none the less. The problem, and why I have mentioned accurate temperature measurement, is the ability to measure a delta T of that size requires reasonably good equipment (I mentioned many times over that the car comes equipped with an inlet air temp sensor) and excellent testing. Testing that can produce consistent back-to-back runs. Since the Vipair installs in just a few minutes it would seem that temperature measurements could be taken at the same place in a short driving loop, under as consistent as possible conditions. Done back-to-back a few times in succession should capture the variability that will exist. Then take the averages and compare. Once done you can input the temperature delta in the SAE correction formula and have the final answer.

Sounds simple enough. I am sure someone with a Gen II could do it in less time than a phone modem computer takes to open this thread.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think if the test is done that it will show no temperature difference. This is based on the temperature testing that was done to date and the dyno testing.

The insignificant volume that the Vipair adds relative tothe NACA duct won't make a differnce (as has been shown thus far).

Where is the SAE correction formula? We are working on a cold air project and I need to do some calculations.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Read back in the thread where Russ first did the temperature test. Bet you will find that what he said was no difference was actually in the range I am guessing. I think he was thinking it had to be more substantial to make an impact.

Also, a dyno can never be used to determine temperature differences as air flow is created by artificial means that is not consistent with real flow. A full size wind tunnel would be required for that. Note also this is a not a flow test but a temperature test.

SAE correction is a standard in the industry. If Dyno Dave is reading I am sure he could chime in with the info (note it takes baro, temperature and humidity into account).

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was mistaken the temp info was from FE 065 and not Russ
Like it or not, I did another temp test today.    

Ambient temps were about the same as last time: 56deg.  

This time I placed the temp probe right up close to the left hand K&N (not directly behind the NACA duct like my first test), with the probe about an inch off the floor of the airbox.    

Results? THE SAME

Temperatures at 50mph stayed in the 54-56 degree range with the access panel in or out. In fact, in both tests, there seemed to be a decided tendency for the temps to be 2 deg lower with the access panel in place.    

This is just one test, at a steady state speed, measuring temperatures on a given day. It's not a road race test, drag race test, heat-soak test, gas station ***** test, or anything else.

In 56 degree weather, at 50mph, there appears to be no heating of the airbox area as DC builds the car.

Did you really expect any rising radiator heat to just linger around and be absorbed into the phenolic plastic airbox at speed? Or somehow flow forward while the car is going 50mph into the mouth of the airbox?

AhhhHHHHhhh-ahh-AHH..

NAH     :p

It appears that his test showed about a 2 degree delta (the way he stated it is a little confusing - in his first post he stated a 2 degree difference). That seems a little low to me, but it was done at 56 degrees, which is a little cooler than most of us drive in. The test would be better if measured on the clean side of the airbox and with equipment (read the factory temp sensor) that has the capability to accurately measure small temperature differences.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think if the test is done that it will show no temperature difference. This is based on the temperature testing that was done to date and the dyno testing.

The insignificant volume that the Vipair adds relative tothe NACA duct won't make a differnce (as has been shown thus far).

Where is the SAE correction formula? We are working on a cold air project and I need to do some calculations.
<font color="red"> </font>

"We are working on a cold air project"

VIPAH You dirt bag! Now your motive for VIPAIR™ bashing comes to light! :shocked:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wish it wasn't a product that all this was about-just temperature theory.. Because that's all I'm addressing.

Actually, I only did one type of test, and it was just a temperature test.

There's enough OEM plastic blocking heated air not only from the radiator, but also from the oil cooler, that the chance any temperature influence at speed is remote.

The upper radiator had a plastic barrier bewteen it and the airbox. It's completely shrouded.

Take out the OEM access panel and let oil cooler heated air have access to the front of the airbox, and it's anyone's guess when you're gaining and when you're losing.

At an idle there may be heat rising upwards, but at speed how can you find for the heat going forward?

There's nothing in front of the airbox inlet to introduce heat! Not while the OEM access panel is in place blocking heat from the oil cooler anyways.

If the air around the radiator was that still at speed, your water temps would be sky high due to no air flow through the radiator at speed.

My temp gauge isn't an expensive scientific instrument, but it samples temps every 3 seconds.

It isn't my responsibility to test at 12 different speeds. Faster speeds would somehow show higher airbox temps?

Besides, I was busy doing some NACA duct tests for my own information that day ...
Very interesting too

:) :usa:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Eddy,

Relax. What we are "thinking" about has NOTHING to do with Vipers. Sorry.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why not using this for testing ? hmm does it work ?

You must be registered for see images

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where's the gerbil location indicator?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm BAAAAACK,
I was hunting in South Dakota last seven days.

While I was gone it look's like the technical people have put a fork in the Vipair.

There is no improvement that anyone can measure.

Edmonton is probably going to keep trying to sell this thing to people even though, I believe, he knows it gives no hp gain.

That's really the sad part of all this.
The guys who questioned Vipair are just being car enthusiasts, talking cars, talking science, just trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.
On the other hand....
The Vipair guys are MAKING MONEY. They are using their status as members of this group as a platform to sell this thing to their friends.

And that is really sad. Selling questionable items to their friends.
Would any of you other guys do that?

Tell me Edmunton, if someone were to prove to you that Vipair was a worthless piece of junk,
would you stop selling it?

Edmunton, you are pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to sell this crud to your friends.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You folks with a Vipair bolted to your car...

When you open the hood and show off your engine, how do you know what the other guy is thinking?

Is he thinking, "what a sucker, he got taken by the Vipair"?

I'd say there is a very good chance that having a Vipair under the hood will make you look like a sucker. It really comes down to how much of a sucker the other guy is.

So guys,
Do you want people thinking you are a sucker?
Do you want to look like a fool?
Do you want people to think you can be taken?
If so...
Buy a Vipair....... SUCKERS!

Now watch, someone will say that they think it look's nice.

Where did I put those Christmas tree lights.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm BAAAAACK,
I was hunting in South Dakota last seven days.

hunting, hmmmmmmmmm...

7 days is usually the minimal amount of institutionalization time it takes to switch over medications and make sure there is a good therapeutic level.

I see it did not work and you will require more time... :headbang:

glad you are back. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad to be back. I'm even glad to hear from you. ;-)

The proof of hunting is the vast reduction in the pheasant population over the plains of South Dakota.

It was a great time, a little cold, a little snow, a little like crossing the pole on foot, but all in all a good trip.
South Dakota is the place to go for pheasants.
Lot's of big whitetail deer too. We weren't after them this time though.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe, Lay off the jug, you're starting to sound like an angry old man. Get a NACA duct to overcome that Vipair you're running on that GenI. :D :usa:

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im not going to read 25 pages of this to find out the outcome so can someone help me? what did it make when on the dyno the correct way?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mattL,
It made nothing.
The only "data" that show's any gain is from a couple of dyno runs posted by the seller.

We have ample evidence that Vipair is not going to give you any performance increase that can be measured.

The claims by the sellers that it gave a SOTP feel "more like 50hp" have been proven to be bunk.

Any further attempt to market this piece of crud as a performance enhancing device is, in my opinion, just a way for them to get money from people who trust them.

It's really sad. They should be ashamed.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can't believe this thread is still alive! Must be a record

Here's one - if you ran a funnel under the two seats and piped it into the intakes - I'm confident that after a Texan Chilli cook-off with beer and beans you could obtain intermitent power gains as you drove - but it would be more effective if you drove in your underwear so more gas could get thru.

Perhaps we could invent special power booster driving pants that looked classy but allowed maximum cfm into the the intake. They could even incorporate a K &amp; N filter in the seat to prevent follow thru

This gadget would also reduce the greenhouse effect and smog within the cabin. It could help save the planet...

:2tu: Just remember you heard it hear first.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ain't nnnnnoooooooooobody puttin' a funnel under MY seat!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :headbang:

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mattL,
It made nothing.
The only "data" that show's any gain is from a couple of dyno runs posted by the seller.

We have ample evidence that Vipair is not going to give you any performance increase that can be measured.

The claims by the sellers that it gave a SOTP feel "more like 50hp" have been proven to be bunk.

Any further attempt to market this piece of crud as a performance enhancing device is, in my opinion, just a way for them to get money from people who trust them.

You say we as if you have done anything but run your mouth.I have tried to be fair and professional but when you make statements like the above.Well lets just say that my following statements are understatements to the way i feel about your crude remarks."WE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF OURSELFS"!!!BASICALLY YOU ARE SAYING THAT WE ARE USING PEOPLES TRUST TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM.AS I SAID BEFORE YOU KNOW NOTHING OF MY BUISINESS PRACTICES SO BEFORE YOU START SHOOTING FROM THE HIP, KNOW WHO YOU ARE AIMING AT AND MORE IMPORTANTLY MAKE SURE THAT YOUR NOT SHOOTING BLANKS.You have never even layed your hands on this product.In my opinion you need to go back to whatever previous crusade you were on or just plain get a life.Doesnt feel so good when people pass judgement on a person or something that they no ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT DOES IT!.Please all except for "joe117" excuse my unprofessionalism.This thread has been amusing at times but for some reason you have turned this thing into a personal meaningless crusade.Exuse me if i repeat myself but lord knows i couldnt be any more redundant than JOE117 :mad:

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mattL,
It made nothing.

Well after 740+ posts it was only a question of time before the line was crossed...and it just was. Until this post I have seen this thread as highly entertaining. Good points and battles by each side. Even Vipah who has had this thread in his mouth like a raged pitbull has at least remained civilized and made some relevant points.

That was probably about the lowest post I have seen on this board. If I was the person making VIPAIR I would not even dignify this with a response. Nice one :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If anyone reads back on this thread they will see that up to about a page ago I tried to keep this on a technical level.
The sellers of the Vipair have done nothing but attack me and attempted to ridicule my position.
I decided, after many such attacks, that there was no need to hide my feelings any longer.

After more than a few tests of dyno, air pressure and air temperature, it is obvious that Vipair isn't producing any measurable gains.
The continuing attacks on me, rather than any attempt to prove the value of their product, should be a tip off that they have nothing left but a worthless product that they are attempting to sell on the basis of trust.

When I repeat their statement that it "feels more like 50hp", I'm simply reminding everyone what the claims were at the start of this.

Now they are hiding behind their credibility as straight up business men.

If they really want to retain any credibility they better stop trying to sell this worthless piece of crud to people who trust them.

In the face of the data that has been provided by people on this board, they should retract their unsupportable claims.

Yes, they should be ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4