Viper Gears

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Fellas looking for a set of 3.73's rear gears and install kit. More or less looking for the complete "KIT" for the install.....Where did you guys go for them or who had the best price?

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you wanna do that? Are you planning on using your Viper mainly for the drag strip? If not, I highly recommend against going with 3.73's. I have them on mine and want them off at some point down the road. Makes the car EXTREMELY jumpy and hard to drive at low speeds (I know, the Viper was made to go at high speeds), and it's not at all as enjoyable of a car to drive with that gearing IMO. I'd recommend going with the 3.55's max if you aren't going to be running quarter miles every week. Oh, and better make sure your tires are spanking new and grippy because the 3.73's really pull a lot harder than stock!!!!!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on the 3:73 although I really enjoyed that gear. It really isn't a good drag gear as it requires an additional shift at the end of the 1/4. I thought it was pretty easy to handle for regular driving much improved over the stock gear. I now run the 3:55 with an OS Giken Diff and it seems to run out in the 1/4 mile much better and running it in only 4 gears 11:55 @123 MPH I actually ran last night in a Viper/Vette Challenge at Sonoma Raceway but had to drop out with traction issues. Time for new drag radials. The car was just way to loose even at 100 MPH. The disappointing part of the race were the amount of Vipers (2) and the countless Z06's. Disappointed, YES, but not surprised. The best part of this competion is the track is so well maintained and we all had a great time in low 70 degree. weather.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Gen 3, I find the car much more fun to drive at around-town speeds with the 3.73 gears. Sounds better, too, because it is not bogged down at sub-2000 RPM all the time. With a Gen IV, the drive-by-wire throttle lag may make the car more touchy and jerky to drive with the lower gear ratio, but a 3.55 (as used on all Gen 5 Vipers) would only be marginally better (a 3.73 ratio is only 5% lower than a 3.55 ratio).
Isn't the 2008 model a bit worse than later model Gen IV cars as far as throttle lag is concerned?

Last edited:
OP
OP

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still waiting on that email canyon...lol.........cant speak too much on viper experience as i have only owned one for 2 months. My old 04 Cobra made 710rwhp and i ran 3.73's and thought it was perfect.....but a cobra and a viper are totally different cars.......so 3.55's would be 1st choice 3.73's 2nd.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears are only part of the equation. Tires and transmission that go along with the motor are another part.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21