Viper Or Vette? I ask Your Advice.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justin,

Your going to get biased responses posting to either a Viper or Corvette site. If you want balls out performance with less technology and creature comforts, get the Viper. Also, Viper wins in looks and rarity department.

If you want a fast, comfortable daily driver with lots of tech. and gadgets, get the C5. Also the vette is cheaper if budget is an issue.

If money were no object personally I'd have a Viper. But I'm also very happy and count my blessings that I have a C5 corvette.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's the obvious choice of course, but the 2003 Viper may be hard to get ahold of, as I'm sure the demand will be high on the new model. Dodge sells new 2001s right now though
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
R

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justin,

Since budgets no problem, get the Viper. There are several tuners that can turn the wick up on Vipers to insane levels. But mods cost alot more than on vettes.

Reaction score
Justin, If you the ultimate performance get a Viper. But you will need to buy a 2001 or 2002, as the 2003's will likely be sold "only" to current Viper owners. At least that is what I hope.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gorilla hands;

The new Viper will be hard to get. I agree with Fred Kinder.

The Vette is a great machine, but the individuality of the Viper is really fun. The resale has been awesome as well. I love my Viper, and find that the ownership experience is fantastic.

Jim

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GET THE VIPER!!! If you want power, these cars can deliver. 1,100hp, anyone? That's without nitrous, too.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been vette owner all my life from the age of 21 (now 30) and I can tell you as a former vette owner, I was "snubbing" the viper because it was competition for the vette and didn't even give it a fair shake. I said the usual stuff like, it's ugly, not a daily driver, etc.

Drove one (Viper) and found out that those are just rumors and exaggerations and it made my other vettes feel like die cast models.

Every Vette owner is a futer Viper owner

Before I was buying my Viper and laying out a cool 40+k cash I couldn't decide between a Vette, porsche or Viper until I read (I Think on this site) about if you drive on a street and ppl look at each car and say what they thought..

Porsche: "Hey Check it out! Look at the Porsche, COOL!"
Vette: "That's a bad *** vette, Nice!"
Viper: " Holy Sh*t!" " Look at the *$# *%$*# Viper, OH MY GOD, am I dreaming?!! "

Have Fun!

Gerald

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since money is not an object, buy one of each and then mod the sh** out of both. Make sure the Vette you buy is the Z06.

As far as mod-ability, let's just say it doesn't take rocket science to realize 488 cubic inches is a better starting place for mods than 350 cubic inches, but it is true that each hp will cost you more on the Viper. But again cost doesn't matter!

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see,money no object,I say Lamborghini Diablo in Yellow!
But as far as the Vette/Viper thing goes there is no comparison,the Viper has the power,looks and the exclusivity that the Vette does not,unless you can get a C5R!

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
< 2000 Vipers made per year
> 30000 Corvettes made per year

$75750 RT/10
$49085 Z06

450 hp RT/10
385 hp Z06

What would most people rather have just based on that?
You must be registered for see images

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive them both then decide. I've spent a little time lately in a C5 and it's a perfectly good everyday driver but there is no "driving experience" to the car. You may want to try the 96-99 Vipers before you decide, the ride is smoother due to the 17' wheels and the engine is nice and lumpy with the more agressive cam and timing than the new cars have. The '00 and later ones have a smoother engine and stiffer ride with better brakes, you have lots of choices. And if you are one of the 1 in 1000 drivers that can handle everything the stock Viper has to offer the tuner cars can get downright scary.

Diablo in Yellow? Heck that's Jeff Ellison's "second" car. His "first" car is his RT King Snake. Faster, more powerful and it doesn't cost $60k+ when you back into a tree...

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Gorilla Hands,
I spoke to you in the chat room. During this coversation I told you that I would rather buy a used viper for 54k than a new vette. That still goes. Most people that read this message board will agree with me. By the way everyone he told me I was crazy for wanting a used viper over a new vette.
What is comes down to is which car do you want. Nothing else.

Thomas

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a vette owner since the early 80's. I just got my first viper (GTS). i have put about 80 miles on it and i am already looking at the possibility of buying a second one.
It's amazing what you hear about a car from people that have never owned one. I used to hear stories about the viper: "it's put together like a kit car" is the one i remember most. Having one and driving one i can tell you it is very nicely put together, and very solid.
I have family in the Chevy business and let me tell you they are overwhelmed with the new vettes in the service dept. There is always something going wrong with all the gadgets that the vette has.
Since money is not an issue buy the Viper hands down. One side effect is that everyone will be staring at you and someone will always start a conversation when you go fill up with gas.
Some days i am just not in the mood for all the attention, and on those days i drive my vette.

Hope this helps.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorilla Hands, buy the car YOU like and don't worry too much about what other people say, either Vette or Viper enthusiast.

Jim

H8TOW8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a new Viper owner (two weeks) and all I can add is I am having more fun with this car than any other I've had. And I have quite a bit of Vette experience. No comparison. Viper is the answer, for me. But the answer to the question is up to you.

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a well modified C-5 '99 coupe that I traded in on my new Viper. There is NO comparison in driving them. In the Vett I'd roll up the windows turn up the stereo and drive, in the Viper I leave the windows down and the radio off so I can hear the engine and the many nice remarks I get about the car. My Vett had the following problems:
1) gas gauge would go crazy, had sender replaced
2) steering lock failed to let go when car was started, had to have a new steering lock sender installed
3) passenger's window stopped working several times, had a new electric motor installed.

I'm very into the car's appearance, my new C-5 was delivered with a large dull paint area on the right front quarter panel and two "stones" in the paint. The viper's paint is flawless and much better applied.

I never found a Chevy dealer that could correctly handle the Vett. I immediately found a Viper Tech that knows EVERYTHING about the car.

The Viper is an exotic, the Vett is at every corner.
To me this is a no brainer, get the Viper

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is an exotic....So says the Dupont Registry......The Viper is also a Supercar....Ever notice that the magazines always judge Porches, Lambo's, Ferrari's performance numbers to the Vipers????With the new GT2 Porche 911 they are comparing its estimated numbers to the "old" GTS Vipers not to the Vettes...Thats no knock on Vettes its just that its common knowledge that the Vipers are faster than Vettes and are faster than most exotics or supercars....

How many production cars in the past 6 years do you know that can hit the odd 11 sec run at 120mph bone stock?? Or have been called a "Legend in its own time"....Bone stock it was faster than alot of tuner cars.... Only ultra exotics like the Mclaren and F50, to name a few, were capable of beating the Viper in the 1/4 and doing more than 120mph.......I say get the Viper..Its only 11 years old and it already has a heritage and a reputation....Its the most sucessful American sports car in racing history...If all that matters to you get the Viper....

But you cant go wrong with the Z06...I just read an article in the new C&D about tuner cars and the Bone Stock Z06 beat all of the tuner cars on the road course....Impressive..Only thing I wish is that GM made the Z06 package for the coupe instead of just the hardtop...To me the coupe looks much better...I love the rear glass treatment.....Have a good day

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i'll put my two cents in here too. I own a 2001 vette convert and a 97 viper GTS .Much of what has already been said i agree with also. The vette is much more comfortable to drive , on lng trips the vette takes it.Also the HUD, sport seats, memory seats 10 stack cd and plenty good performance make the vette a great choice. However the viper is a blast to drive gets unbelievable attention everywhere i go. If i could only have one of the two i'd take the viper( especially the 2003 with 500 HP and tuck away convert top )! Barry

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kewlbrz,

MAybe you got a "ringer C5" cuz most C5's that I run into when I'm with my uncle or dad won't even try. We rean into a 2001 C5 Convertable who wanted to race on the highway. He went by us on the left and when we pulled out we actually had to lift of the throttle so we wouldn't rear end him. He was on it because that small block was just howlin. We were in a 94 RT/10. Funny though, Ive never seen a stock gen 1 RT/10 run slower than 12.7 Where are these 13 sec RT's you speak of? Also, You guys have got to be glas the Oreca cars are out of the race loop now, gives you guys a chance to collect some hardware with that non production 427 you guys are running, oh wait, that will be the 520 horse C6 right.

If you wish upon a star...

It's okay if you wish to post opinions but don't come on the Viper board and pretend to be objective.

Craig

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy, i disagree somewhat with your comments about the 2001 Z06.It will still retain good resale value.Increasing performance from one year to another is very common and been done since i've been driving. The 61 chevy 348 was upgraded late 61 and 62 to a 409. the 1969 chevelle 396/375 was upgraded to 454/450 in 1970, 70 vette had 390 HP 71 vette 425 HP,84 -85 Buick GN less than 200 HP 86-87 GN 250 (probably more actually), 96 vette 300HP 97 vette 345HP and on and on so a 20 HP increase for Z06 is business as usual. I for one like the continued changes. One of the things i hated about my 2000 BMW was the HP and looks stayed the same for 5 years as other companies were raising HP in their models. anyway just my opinion. Barry

singlemd4u

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kewlbrz are you kidding????????????? My viper GTS will crush my 2001 vette in any acceralation range , off the line mid range or top end. i love my vette and have owned over a dozen of them in my life time but its not even close. Barry

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The viper on the other hand is a black hole for Daimler/Chrylser. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You is wrong, kewlbrz.

According to CAAP, the Viper was one of the only Chrysler divisions that made a profit last year.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barry, Congratulations on the very attractive lady in your avatar! I hope others will include beautiful ladies in their posts. Thanks!
cool.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kewlbrz, you can believe what the press says if you want to, but the Viper profitability was spoken to a group of us by a plant manager at the factory this spring. I also found it hard to believe, but that is what he said. Maybe he was lying.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two years ago I was faced with the decision to buy a new Vette convertible, a 3 year old Viper, or a 10 year old or so Ferrari or Lamborghini. I chose the Viper. The Corvette was my realistic dream car growing up but, where I live I literally see a new Vette at least every 5 minutes so I pay no more attention to them than I would a Honda Accord.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
The Ferrari or Lamborghini would have been cool, but the upkeep would have probably killed me plus since it would have been an older model it would not have been as fast as the Viper. I took a new Vette for a test drive a few months ago just to see how it compares to my Viper. Well the Vette was so tame, I was really unimpressed. The Vette has some cool gadgets though. Even if the Vette was faster than the Viper, which it isn't, I would still rather have a Viper. I do not regret to this day buying the Viper. Once you've been bitten that's it. And the gawk factor with the Viper, oh my.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The chicks totally dig the Viper way more than the Vette. And that, my friend, is all that matters! (If you don't think so, you are living in denial and are probably one of those people that says "I don't put looks as a high priority when dating, blah blah blah...")

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KEWLBRZ!
You must be dreaming! We benchmarked my friends C-5 with the "400hp Mongoose" package against my Viper.
We raced several times from different speeds. We did a 1st gear
blast off the line, later a puchout in 2nd, & finally a high speed run in 3rd. My Viper EASILY won them all. NO CONTEST!
Not bad for an OLD BONE STOCK 93 ViperRT/10.
Corvette has been long,long overdue in providing some real HP for their many fans since they killed the ZR1. They have engaged in a big marketing scam focusing on other features of the C-5.
Poor Dave Hill has been stuck doing what he can with that small block to keep the Press interested in the car and trying to get the many Corvette fans to believe the scam & buy the latest. Sad, sad, sad!
Maybe someday their new big block will show up and Corvette may
have a better chance of winning a few. I think that will be great when that happens.
Until then, keep dreaming. That's all you can do with your very nice and comfortable C-5 cars.