Viper production slowed by one third due to sluggish sales

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Test Drives: If this was a regular car then a dealer could have a demo sitting around and let people take it for a test drive. It's not a regular car and people don't want to buy a car that dozens of people have driven. I bought my 2008 ACR and had only sat in a Viper once at the dealership. I also didn't need to test drive the Vettes I bought. The dealer I bought my ZR1 from up in Ohio did take me out in it before signing the paperwork; but it didn't make any difference as I knew I was buying the car.

One thing that may have hurt sales was limiting the number of dealers. I bought my Viper from Mad Max Motors in Butler, Missouri. They used to sell a lot of Vipers, mostly through the Internet. They don't sell Vipers today. I don't know if they didn't want to invest the $25,000 since they weren't going to service probably most of the Vipers they sold or what their reason was.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing that hurts it is it still looks like the old car. I know most of us, myself included, liked the fact that it looked a lot like a gen 2. Most of the people who spend 125-150K on a car like this want it to stand out. You can get almost the same reaction from people in a 96 GTS as you can a gen V.

This.

I had my '13 at the track last night, and people kept asking what year it was. It got a lot of attention, as any Viper does, but not any more than when I bring my '06 out. Vipers always get rockstar attention, but the '13 doesn't get any more than any previous generation does. Most of the people that asked about it, had no idea that Dodge was building them again.

IMHO, they need to make the T/A carbon aero kit a standard item, on all of them. At least it makes the cars more aggressive looking, more modern. That would be a start.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This.

I had my '13 at the track last night, and people kept asking what year it was. It got a lot of attention, as any Viper does, but not any more than when I bring my '06 out. Vipers always get rockstar attention, but the '13 doesn't get any more than any previous generation does. Most of the people that asked about it, had no idea that Dodge was building them again.

IMHO, they need to make the T/A carbon aero kit a standard item, on all of them. At least it makes the cars more aggressive looking, more modern. That would be a start.

Would the public reception and attention be better if convertible version was offered? Previous generation GTS lookrf like generation 2 as well, maybe this is why convertible should be available? There could be a factory hardtop for track duty as well.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen, the coupe Vipers have always gotten more attention from enthusiasts. Likely due to the more aggressive rear design, too. Car guys tend to prefer hard tops, look at the Z06/ZR1 for example. I was asked twice how I like the Maserati, last night. No joke.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny...a WOMAN asked me the other day..."Is that the new Maserati?"
Based on what I've seen, the coupe Vipers have always gotten more attention from enthusiasts. Likely due to the more aggressive rear design, too. Car guys tend to prefer hard tops, look at the Z06/ZR1 for example. I was asked twice how I like the Maserati, last night. No joke.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you certianlly have more mone to market specific models, when you have 3X,***+ to spead out the marketing budget over vs. 1,000-3000 units. But that does not keep them from putting the cars in other ads for the same brand to help creat that halo effect. but truth be told that the gen V has become so inflated in price that the bulk of the brands base buyers will never be able to afford the car.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you certianlly have more mone to market specific models, when you have 3X,***+ to spead out the marketing budget over vs. 1,000-3000 units. But that does not keep them from putting the cars in other ads for the same brand to help creat that halo effect. but truth be told that the gen V has become so inflated in price that the bulk of the brands base buyers will never be able to afford the car.
If a high price performance car cannot sell itself, even the most creative marketing cannot help it. Corvette marketing is not any better than Viper marketing. However, the car is cheaper and there is enough repeat buyers to create initial hype. Also, the majority of marketing for new corvette was done by the press and aftermarket-something Viper never was able to accomplish. New Corvette performance for the money is outstanding, the quality is spotty but this is not the type of car that is sold based on quality. Even though Viper costs twice as much as Corvette, the performance is barely ahead of it, this makes it for a very tough sale, regardless of marketing.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the corvette is the "everymans" sports car and one of the few very high performance cars that can be a daily driver without making yourself crazy. it is also one of the best values for a sports car in the world. i do know from personal experience with the 3 different vipers i have owned that you can get special attention when you need service or support from the factory or SRT, that you would NEVER get from GM, chevy on a corvette. As stated above some of the issues people are have on handbuilt low(slowly) produced cars of this price range are inexcuseable!

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the corvette is the "everymans" sports car and one of the few very high performance cars that can be a daily driver without making yourself crazy. it is also one of the best values for a sports car in the world. i do know from personal experience with the 3 different vipers i have owned that you can get special attention when you need service or support from the factory or SRT, that you would NEVER get from GM, chevy on a corvette. As stated above some of the issues people are have on handbuilt low(slowly) produced cars of this price range are inexcuseable!
GM seems to be more sensitized to new owners complaints than Chrysler, shipping cars back to factory and flying their engineers to dealers to address issues. For a mass produced car, this is rather impressive.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM seems to be more sensitized to new owners complaints than Chrysler, shipping cars back to factory and flying their engineers to dealers to address issues. For a mass produced car, this is rather impressive.

SRT has been quite impressive to me in the post purchase experience. Sans Kris's issue, you have no idea what you are talking about.

More useless jabber from useless posters who don't own the car and have no experience with SRT.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT has been quite impressive to me in the post purchase experience. Sans Kris's issue, you have no idea what you are talking about.

More useless jabber from useless posters who don't own the car and have no experience with SRT.
Yes, you are oh so productive at calling others haters. Kris just said good bye after buying Corvette ZR1 to replace his new Viper and enjoying driving econo rentals while his car was sitting around for two months. No doubt he was very impressed. Regarding personal experience, feel free to keep guessing, apparently you have nothing better to do than replying to worthless posts.:rolleyes:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a high price performance car cannot sell itself, even the most creative marketing cannot help it. Corvette marketing is not any better than Viper marketing. However, the car is cheaper and there is enough repeat buyers to create initial hype. Also, the majority of marketing for new corvette was done by the press and aftermarket-something Viper never was able to accomplish. New Corvette performance for the money is outstanding, the quality is spotty but this is not the type of car that is sold based on quality. Even though Viper costs twice as much as Corvette, the performance is barely ahead of it, this makes it for a very tough sale, regardless of marketing.

All true, but exactly why the Viper needs a good marketing platform. It is the only thing that will sell it now.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1000% true.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had multiple issues with SRT quality and they were NOT handled well by SRT. It was actually my dealer that tried their best, but SRT/Chrysler that kept saying everything is okay. This is despite many people knowing exactly who I am, what I do, and how many Chrysler/SRT products I own/have owned. If, in fact, I was getting "special treatment", I would hate to find out what treatment everyone else gets!

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All true, but exactly why the Viper needs a good marketing platform. It is the only thing that will sell it now.
The good platform requires this car to prove itself at what is it made for: setting great time at the ring and a few tracks and strips. Good marketing platform is needed but you also have to have something to market. As it is, new Viper could not only take on last ZR1 but it apparently also struggles with the base Corvette. If it is not already too late, it will be very soon to undo the damage that has already been done.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought numerous vipers from ringgold and have always had an exceptional experience. I will buy another viper from them when srt addresses the issues surrounding the current viper.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good platform requires this car to prove itself at what is it made for: setting great time at the ring and a few tracks and strips. Good marketing platform is needed but you also have to have something to market. As it is, new Viper could not only take on last ZR1 but it apparently also struggles with the base Corvette. If it is not already too late, it will be very soon to undo the damage that has already been done.

Completely agree. The Viper simply will not sell itself on its merits. And, there is nothing anyone can do about that now for two reasons: time and money. So, it leaves us with a magical marketing platform that will somehow convince people that a car that is 2x the price of a C7, which in many technological, ergonomic, and performance ways is better (some argue even looks), is worth the price. I think it can be done (I know some amazing marketers). But SRT needs to get off their egotistical high horse and admit that they can't market to save their jobs, much less the Viper.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree. The Viper simply will not sell itself on its merits. And, there is nothing anyone can do about that now for two reasons: time and money. So, it leaves us with a magical marketing platform that will somehow convince people that a car that is 2x the price of a C7, which in many technological, ergonomic, and performance ways is better (some argue even looks), is worth the price. I think it can be done (I know some amazing marketers). But SRT needs to get off their egotistical high horse and admit that they can't market to save their jobs, much less the Viper.

Chrysler should learn from Ford, specifically from 1999 SVT Cobra horsepower issue how to deal with customers. New Viper cannot be dynoed or hooked up on the strip, pretty soon, Kevorkian should be asked to put this car out of its misery.

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We all love the viper and every generation is better than the previous. Unless you track the car 600 plus HP is plenty for the street especially in our area, way to much traffic and the roads here are horrible.

Last edited:

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all love the viper and every generation is better than the previous. Unless you track the car 600 plus HP is plenty for the street especially in our area, way to much traffic and the roads here are horrible.

You need to become a halfback like me. Toronto / Florida and now the Georgia mountains. The roads here demand 600+ HP. The Tail of the Dragon is in my backyard :drive:. Oh $hit I'm heading back too Florida this week.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

True, but that has nothing to do with why the Viper is not selling or why the Viper brand may be in jeopardy again.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think what hurts the car the most is the fact it isn't an over the top performer like the '96 GTS was. Everyone was able to live with its short comings because it was a beast, nobody is willing to live with the new ones short comings because its performance is nothing outstanding in todays market. Like so many have said the car should have come out with 700hp plus and almost guaranteed everything else about it would have been forgotten due to performance.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of derailing the thread, I was gassing up across the street from Derrick Dodge in Edmonton and one of the sales guys was at the next pump. He told me they had a Gen V in the showroom so I drove on over in my ACR.

They had no problems showing the car to me and told me to hop in, then left me to look at the car without hovering over my shoulder. Talked to a couple of sales guys about the Gen V and one of them asked me if I had started it up...I politely declined since it was inside the showroom and wound up taking one of the sales guys on a ride in the ACR. Great bunch of people at that dealership, and I'll probably wind up picking up the next ACR from them, if an ACR ever comes. I didn't buy my ACR from them and they didn't know me from Adam, although I do use their service department for the Viper (again, great service).

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you went to look at a Gen5 and wound up taking your own Gen4 for a test drive with the salesman:dunno::lmao:

At the risk of derailing the thread, I was gassing up across the street from Derrick Dodge in Edmonton and one of the sales guys was at the next pump. He told me they had a Gen V in the showroom so I drove on over in my ACR.

They had no problems showing the car to me and told me to hop in, then left me to look at the car without hovering over my shoulder. Talked to a couple of sales guys about the Gen V and one of them asked me if I had started it up...I politely declined since it was inside the showroom and wound up taking one of the sales guys on a ride in the ACR. Great bunch of people at that dealership, and I'll probably wind up picking up the next ACR from them, if an ACR ever comes. I didn't buy my ACR from them and they didn't know me from Adam, although I do use their service department for the Viper (again, great service).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper