Viper production stopped

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABC news Detroit just did an interview about the GM-Chrysler merger with a guy who works at the Conner plant. When they were done, the reporter standing outside the Conner plant said, "The Conner plant is where they make the Dodge Viper, and production here has been stopped"

EDIT BY LEE
KEEP READING, THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Last edited by a moderator:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
production has stopped only on the ACR's until after the first of the year so the factory can get caught up with the orders it currently has. they expect to be caught up after the first of the year and production will resume then.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
production has stopped only on the ACR's until after the first of the year so the factory can get caught up with the orders it currently has. they expect to be caught up after the first of the year and production will resume then.

You're saying that all production until Jan '09 is to catch up to already processed orders?

I'm pretty sure my biddies 09 hasn't showed up yet and he had his order in before officail 09 orders were being accepted.

Ted

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to start writing Senators and anyone else in DC who will listen...

The employees at Conner did that... VCA can too!

Save Tator's. Check

Save Viper... Write now

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Gastman was reading the ACR announcement to me over the phone just this afternoon when Jon B and i were trying to clear up the confusion in the other thread. they are behind and trying to get caught up with orders they have, and thats the reason they have stopped taking ACR orders till after the first of the year.

as far as production goes, i am sure the news ladys words just came out wrong.

Reaction score
Why stop taking orders?
Why not keep selling, even if it takes many months to build them.
Keep selling, and making money, especially with money so tight right now.

Thats like a home developer sending the sales staff home until he catches up on the building end, hell no, he keeps selling.

Sorry, sounds a little strange.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to start writing Senators ..Yep get the goverment onboard and really f things up..Nice

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...Why stop taking orders?
Why not keep selling, even if it takes many months to build them.
Keep selling, and making money, especially with money so tight right now.
Sorry, sounds a little strange.

The motive here is fourfold:

-Avoid disappointing ACR buyers with these huge wait times (15 mos for Doris)
-Let SUPPLIERS catch up on needed ACR Parts
-Minimize backlog of half-produced ACRs awaiting parts.
-Accomodate UAW contract PLANNED SHUTDOWNS.

Afterthought: If there is a NEW BUYER in the wings, they would also be glad / rewarded to have the new ACR orders on THEIR ledger. TOTAL SPECULATION, when I know the reasons to be those above......

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to start writing Senators ..Yep get the goverment onboard and really f things up..Nice
GM & Cerebus are asking for Billions of Taxpayer dollars to complete the merger, so they can layoff 30K or so Chrysler workers... Then there are another estimated 50K workers that would lose their jobs from other companies that supply parts to Chrysler.

Personally I don't want to pay for that.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad mine was built in 2001.

That's a whole lot wiser than it sounds... in 2001, the Viper was on top winning everything that could be won... The folks at Conner were riding that wave of pride. The guys there now are worried if they'll have a job in a week. That's gotta hurt productivity and quality control.

Reaction score
I was watching too but what I heard is that it was on hold and not formally rejected....

Paulson to GM-Chrysler: No Bailout for You!

Posted Oct 31, 2008 01:56pm EDT by Aaron Task Related: GM, F, NSANY, TM

Apparently there are limits to the government's bailout bonanza after all.
After funding bailouts and backstopping deals for a number of banks, brokers, GSEs and insurance companies, the Bush administration will not provide funding for a GM-Chrysler merger, Reuters reported early Friday morning.
As with all things related to the autos, this is a highly polarizing issue.
On the one hand, a lot of jobs are potentially at stake here. Earlier this week, six governors sent a letter to Secretary Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke encouraging government funding for the deal, citing the following:
  • 355,000 Americans are directly employed by GM, Chrysler, and Ford.
  • 4.5 million Americans work in sectors supported by the auto industry.
  • Over 2 million Americans received healthcare benefits from the "Big 3."
  • 775,000 retirees and their survivors receive pension payments from the industry.
On the other hand, government support for a GM-Chrysler merger can't guarantee the jobs of current employees or the benefits of retirees. Even if you could set aside complicating issues like union contracts and the quality of the cars being made in America, automakers around the world are struggling right now with a slowing global economy, including industry leader Toyota and Nissan, another potential partner for Chrysler.
In addition, a government-sponsored deal will help private equity firm Cerberus Capital, which bought a majority stake in Chrysler at arguably the worst possible time.
At this point a GM-Chrysler deal appears to be on hold, at least until after the election. But this political and economic football can only be kicked down the field so far, and for so long.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
-
ABC news Detroit just did an interview about the GM-Chrysler merger with a guy who works at the Conner plant. When they were done, the reporter standing outside the Conner plant said, "The Conner plant is where they make the Dodge Viper, and production here has been stopped" ....and she'd just finished talking to someone who worked at the plant...

Half The facts = news sound bite =Half Truth.

FACTS: This was a dedicated but concerned worker, complaining about the possible merger. His issue is: 'his tax money might be being used to finance his possible layoff!!' The earlier interview occurred at his home, then out front off-property.

Vipers are being built every week, included this week, but are in a "supply issue" short work week. Not all 5 days. So yes, CAAP was shut down today. CAAP will be building again next week...but probably not all 5 days. SUPPLY MATTERS!

More facts: Viper is NOT PART OF THE MERGER TALKS ! All the more important that Viper gets ADOPTED by an entrepreneur/Car-Guy Consortium/Company/LLC. And, that WE HELP THE PROCESS, not hurt it.

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point a GM-Chrysler deal appears to be on hold, at least until after the election. But this political and economic football can only be kicked down the field so far, and for so long.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This bodes well for the future of the Viper. If production cannot keep up with demand. Sounds like Ferrari's situation. Next stop $20K over sticker!

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got it! She was doing the segment at night (probably 6p or 11p news). Any self-respecting Viper lover knows that CAAP only works 8a-5p Mon-Fri...so the plant was simply CLOSED for the day (of course production stops when the plant is closed). Besides, she did say "for now...." That "for now" simply means they will be up and running again in the morning.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In situations like this (when a company is in merger talks, even if that brand may not be part of the sale) production continues until there is a major change. As there has been no merger, buyout, or selling of ANYTHING yet, production will continue as always. Production on a product does not stop because of speculation. It only has the potential to stop AFTER the sale has been closed.

I agree with Alpine, or with the fact that the newslady got it wrong.

Robert

Robert

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe it's like Friday during VOI when it was a emloyee holday?

I remember that there was a delay of months for spoilers. That was also going on at the time of the Viper plant tour. If that's still going on I can easily understand why they would stop accepting orders until they catch up. There was also a thread on here that went on for quite awhile with a customer that was tired of waiting waiting waiting - and pissed.

Since all Vipers are sold (or dealer promised) before they get built there is no problem with overproduction, it's quite the contrary. They obviously can't build them fast enough.

Just ignore all the BS and see how much your day improves! ;~)

Ted