Viper Service Quote Question?

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently been quoted $165 for a coolant flush and $260 for a new key + new key fob + programming of it. Do those quotes seem reasonable or are they high?

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot of labor being charged there.

Sounds pretty high to me also. My local dealer wanted $195 just for an oil & filter change on my '97 GTS, I opted to do it myself, along with everything else that isn't beyond my scope of mechanical ability, lol. I bought a set of used service manuals, complete with illustrations, off of ebay for cheap. They have been an awesome source of information on how to do all the simple stuff and even the more complicated stuff as well. The manuals paid for themselves several times over just with the money I saved on the oil change...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree about $$$...order key blank and key fob from Chuck Tator. Have a key maker cut key (if you don't have one to copy, take VIN and title to another dealer for key)...program fob yourself from instructions found here. Consider doing coolant yourself...instructions also on this site.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Service is steep everywhere.

Many of us here do our own basic maintenance (or more). Coolant flush is an easy job for most... as for key FOB not too unusual I'd say...

JonB sold me a custom key for my '94 at a great price... (just sayin')

Enjoy your Viper!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too high, run away

do the key as stated above and let a trusted local mechanic do the flush and oil changes. just make sure you can get your car on his lift. i made aluminum ramps to get onto my buddies lift and he does almost all my maintenance stuff

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At my Dealership a coolant flush on a Viper is $119.95.A new key fob is $137.00 and $49.95 to program it. Alot of dealers as soon as you tell them it's for a viper they just jump the price up.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about the first part but I bought a key and fob from a the dealer and had fob programed at the dealer for $75.00. And I felt that was pretty high

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The year Matters..... it is tougher to correctky flush and fill a 92-93, than a 94-02. And its harder to do a Gen 1-2 than a G3-4. Flush+materials+disposal+Snake Head key + Fob + programming: I would say the dealer is only about $60 high on the grand total at customary dealer rates.

But a dependable Viper tech who knows how to bleed every burp of air out can save your motor: PRICELESS.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of dealers as soon as you tell them it's for a viper they just jump the price up.

So your saying the guy standing behind the counter that dosnt give an crap about howmuch he charges you because it dosnt effect him or his salary at all is going to manualy override the price that comes up in the computer and jack it up just to screw you???? Im not buying it.:dunno: The guys at my dealership even give me the VCA discount when i need something in a pinch and dont have time to wait for an order from Tator.:2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But a dependable Viper tech who knows how to bleed every burp of air out can save your motor: PRICELESS.

+1 , If you dont know what you are doing(especially with something like coolant) leave it to someone experienced. I'd expect 1hr of labor +parts. In my area thad be 90bucks +fluids which is a very reasonable price to pay for a cool running Viper and im sure anyone who tried DIY and got air stuck in the system would agree:)

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most of the high parts prices are Dodge's doing, not the dealer. Not only are the prices for Viper parts often high, but the profit is less for the dealer on those parts than regular parts.

A proper cooling system service can take an hour and a half. The radiator and engine block need to be drained, the system pressure checked, the cap tested for release pressure, the coolant mixed with the proper ratio of distilled water and the air bled out of the system.

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine done for $50 with Dealership coupon and Viper tech on hand. Drain, flushed and refilled coolant! But it took almost 2 hours to do, as the tech needed to cool down the coolant in order to remove the lower hose.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have the number handy for Tator's? I'll just order the key and fob from him since he does appear to be a regular contributor on the site and he has provided his insight and expertise to me before.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone have the number handy for Tator's? I'll just order the key and fob from him since he does appear to be a regular contributor on the site and he has provided his insight and expertise to me before.

Chuck is in NY at 914 763 3136 and is a frequent and valuable contributor here.

Caution: I like to make sales, but the FOB is an item that I usually advise customers to buy locally, since the installing dealer must program it. Many dealers include the program if you buy it from them. And if you bring it in, they may be dis-inclined to do this petty job at a fair price. Or wash their hands of any Fob-battery or other Dodge issue. Saving you $15 on a FOB can be annoying or costly later, but THANKS for thinking of supporting the vendors here! WE NEED IT.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The radiator and engine block need to be drained, the system pressure checked, the cap tested for release pressure, the coolant mixed with the proper ratio of distilled water and the air bled out of the system.

I had to chuckle when I read this. Without a doubt, all of our reputable "VCA known" dealers and Techs do this and more. But I'd bet most dealers simply drain, refill and write up the bill. 10 minutes for the summer high school intern and ... "next".

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your saying the guy standing behind the counter that dosnt give an crap about howmuch he charges you because it dosnt effect him or his salary at all is going to manualy override the price that comes up in the computer and jack it up just to screw you???? Im not buying it.:dunno: The guys at my dealership even give me the VCA discount when i need something in a pinch and dont have time to wait for an order from Tator.:2tu:

Most, if not all, dealership service writers work on a commission basis, therefore they will charge as high of a price as possible to pad their personal paycheck. Also, I recently had an A/C compressor installed on my 97 GTS and my A/C serviced at a 5 STAR Dodge dealership, and found out, after the fact, that the Viper Tech did NOT do it per the Viper Service Manual, hence my A/C only lasted for 2 hours! I contacted them later that same day to complain but they didn't care, they had my money and that's all that mattered to them. I have vowed to do all my own work now, whenever possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21