Viper SRT/ACR Wind Tunnel Testing

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who are interested in the wind tunnel testing results from Chrysler & the SRT team when designing the ACR.

[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/0509hpc_FOD_3.jpg[/media]

[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/0509hpc_FOD_8.jpg[/media]

[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/0509hpc_FOD_7.jpg[/media]

Article: Composite wing key to high-speed stability: COMPOSITESWORLD.COM

Maybe I should leave the vent grills off of my 2008 hood :)

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, You should remove the vent screens for added down force on any 08'-09' car. you can also gain a small amount of hp by removing the rain deflector in the scoop. :2tu:

For those who are interested in the wind tunnel testing results from Chrysler & the SRT team when designing the ACR.

[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/0509hpc_FOD_3.jpg[/media]

[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/0509hpc_FOD_8.jpg[/media]

[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/0509hpc_FOD_7.jpg[/media]

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cool post.

Dan

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone else tried this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0509hpc_FOD_9.jpg
    0509hpc_FOD_9.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 515

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I Would attempt that but since it can handle 1000 pounds of downforce, it should handle a skinny white man without a problem.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for this. It sets forth some of the data I was referring to in another thread. I ran the 08 hood for awhile without the screens. It looked elemental and mean. However, after discussing same with one of the SRT Engineers, he advised me of the possibility of road debris getting into the engine compartment and causing a problem. Another issue, although not for me, is the possibility of leaves getting into the engine compartment when the engine has been run hard and catching on fire. Lastly, when the screens are not on, someone can remove/steel things from the engine compartment, e.g. caps.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Incredible. Every inch of these cars are just incredible.

Greg

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what will happen if you remove the rain deflector and it rains? Will it hurt the car ? I have the K&N Air filter with no issues at all.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 ZR1 Corvette

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You brass spheres are bigger than mine!!! I will say thank you! You have answered a question I have had for quite a while. I try to explain it to folks and end up saying " you could park a full bagger Harley on the wing with you and your wife sitting on it and the bags full of bricks" - then their jaws drop.

anyone else tried this?

attachment.php

JackDud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You brass spheres are bigger than mine!!! I will say thank you! You have answered a question I have had for quite a while. I try to explain it to folks and end up saying " you could park a full bagger Harley on the wing with you and your wife sitting on it and the bags full of bricks" - then their jaws drop.

Eeeeek :omg: Is all of that downforce solely on the wing, though? Or the majority, even?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand it to be at the rear suspension. The front is only 300 or so pounds. After sliding side ways thru turn 1 at HTP at around 120 or so I can tell you from personal experience that down force in the back is a good thing and 1000 pounds sounds like a lot but at 140 over the alpha **** before turn 1 the rear still felt very light. Now wing was at stock #2 position and car was at street height. Probably doesn't answer your question but that's a practical explanation.

Eeeeek :omg: Is all of that downforce solely on the wing, though? Or the majority, even?

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what will happen if you remove the rain deflector and it rains? Will it hurt the car ? I have the K&N Air filter with no issues at all.

2008 Viper Coupe
2009 ZR1 Corvette

No, I use to run my 05 Viper without the rain deflector in absolute pouring rain here in florida, the airbox has holes at the bottom for water to escape anyway. I think its similar on the 08s.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What result do you get from lowering the car? I assume additional downforce since less air is able to flow underneath. Is that correct?

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe I should leave the vent grills off of my 2008 hood .....

Leaving off the 6 hood grills results in less lift. This is similiar to having more downforce, but not exactly the same. Bonus is a surprisingly cooler underhood and toebox! [And you can check your oil without opening the hood!!]

The extra flow out the vents would hit the windscrren and result in downforce and drag. One of the key SRT engineers at VOI mentioned that the flow was 'significantly better' with the grills removed....

THANKS for the post.... one hopes these were final results, and not just prelims or intermediates?

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does lowering the car create more or less downforce?

Technically, it eliminates lift. It minimizes the wedge of air trying to get under the car.
LIFT fights all elements of downforce, including vehicle Weight and Aero /drag downforces.

Less Lift is NOT truly downforce (which can also have drag elements) but less lift results in a net-gain of what downforce you actually DO have.

Example: Certain IRL Indy cars have so much downforce, that at speed, they could run inverted. If these cars were raised, the resulting LIFT would negate some downforce....and they would fall off the ceiling!

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a photo from my 35mm camera at pre-VOI event of a troop of 6 chinese acrobats in a pyramid atop a GT-2 (GTS-R Replica) PartsRack wing. It was installed on "WingKing" Hitz GTS...the photo was in ViperMag as well.......

Yes, it was parked....at Branson Missouri! Im asking King if he can email it.....

The headless wingman on the Aero-Coupe below is 'probably' an SRT guy...note the MFR MI plate
4602d1249346491-viper-srt-acr-wind-tunnel-testing-0509hpc_fod_9.jpg

Last edited:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The down-force at 150 mph at 1000lbs is cool but I also think 300lbs at 80mph very interesting. The minimum speeds need to start making down-force is amazing and very usable

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there anyone who can make up 10X12 or some size prints of the WT tests..I would love to have these to frame or just to have for posterity...Kevin

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, but would you like me to get one for ya? The model that is. ;)

If I had an ACR it would have been done already!:rolaugh: We actually need a few girls on the wing instead of 1 guy...

There was a picture posted here a few weeks back and I think it was related to Maurice Liang and he had a girl laying on top of the ACR wing. I'd love to save that picture into my photo collection. I can't remember what she was wearig because I only paid attention to the car. :lmao: