Viper vs Ford GT

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno, looking at my new Motor Trend's article on the Ford GT.. for $70,000 difference, I'm just not envious. I'd like to be, but I still see the GTS as just as **** if not more so, and a heck of a value. Like many people I'm a huge fan of the GT 40's styling and track record, and the new Ford GT's no-fade, stop-on-a-dime racetrack worthy from the factory brakes would be nice. But I'm just not seeing it as something to lust for over compared to what's parked in my garage. In an overall sense. I wouldn't commit to double the payments for the Ford... :usa:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just can't compete with the cubes of Vipers. It's great that Ford is building it and I'd like to have one, but not until I have a nice collection of Vipers. Big cubes and/or a Comp Coupe is the clear choice.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting how the media is acting as a huge fan of the GT and acting like the SRT does not even exist. I have noted that the Viper and other DC products are seldom used in comparisons. That trend continued for the GT as they compared it to the Vette, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Odd, unless of course they do not want to point out a competitor that actually challenges the GT performance.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noted that the Viper and other DC products are seldom used in comparisons.

I have noticed the same thing as well. Whenever I read some comparison test I'm always looking to see how it matches up to the Viper but not very often do they include the snake. Is it because they don't see Vipers in the same class or they don't thinks it's a true production car or just are afraid that it would blow everything else away???

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It is interesting how the media is acting as a huge fan of the GT and acting like the SRT does not even exist. I have noted that the Viper and other DC products are seldom used in comparisons. That trend continued for the GT as they compared it to the Vette, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Odd, unless of course they do not want to point out a competitor that actually challenges the GT performance.

page 53
",,,the GT should be able to sprint from 0 to 60 mph in a scalding 3.7 seconds or even less-quicker than the Viper"

So they did at least mention the Viper in passing, BUT, I don't see how the estimated 3.7 seconds is possible, I mean, its now weighing in at about 3300 pounds, and is going to have 500hp and 500pound feet of torque. With those numbers, they should get about 3.9 or 4.0 seconds from 0-60, just like the SRT, right? Or is there a weight transfer advantage with that mid-engine, that the SRT doesn't have?

To add to my confusion, there is the 2006 ZO6 with its purported 500hp, hydro-formed lightweight frame, should have a great power to weight ratio, and then theres the Gen3 Coupe to look forward to, which is a much better car for the money that the GT. So I dunno, the GT is a tuff sell. But I sure do like the looks.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw one yesterday. One word, AWESOME! If I had an extra $150K, I would get one.
85gt411.jpg
85gt401.jpg

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How'd you see one???

Great car but I will prob avoid because it has a shelf life. As I understand it, production will only be 3 years due to crash standards Ford isn't willing to spend to meet.

Sure be nice to have another American made supercar in the stable though!

OP
OP
F

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not the same as the Bill Ford's white Ford GT on the cover of M/T, nor the red one inside. Maybe a Spec5 car?

..It's the 'extra $150K' that's the operative phrase for most of us isn't it? :)

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just not envious. I'd like to be, but I still see the GTS as just as **** if not more so, and a heck of a value.

Replace "GTS" with the word "Vette" in the above statement....

OP
OP
F

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just not envious. I'd like to be, but I still see the GTS as just as **** if not more so, and a heck of a value.

No thanks, pre Viper they might have some allur, but now they're too pedestrian , for me anyway.

Over the years I've had both:

Vettes owned: '71, '73, '75, '82, '88,
I'm a former GM test driver, tested ZR1s and C5s in their prototype stages

Vipers owned: '94RT/10, '96GTS, current 2002GTS

Vettes just aren't the same anymore :cool:

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like an old car to me.
And then that 'Ford' emblem on the front. Yuk !
They could have done something different from a marketing positioning point of view.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure thats not a replica GT-40 by CAVGT??
Very good Austin, it is a "kit car" out of South Africa(don't know if that is CAVGT). I talked to the owner, he built it. NOT a Volkswagon drive train, looks excellent, like one of the originals(not like I would know the difference anyway :D ). He had a 302 Bored and stroked to a 340 CID, sounded great, he did a sweet job!
:)
Mike

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That replicam looks like a toy next to the Minni :eek: Look how low and small it is when next to the mini

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that is Wayne Presley's CAV GT40. That car is factory built in South Africa. It comes to the US w/o engine or drivetrain. He may have "built' it himself in terms of getting the motor and transmission in place, but that car is not technically a kit at all. Plus, that is the same exact car that has a few scenes in Sheryl Crow's video, 'Steve McQueen' driven by Dale Earnhardt Jr.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You missed the point. We're talking about GT's like Vette guys talk about us. Are we one rung lower than a GT?

No thanks, pre Viper they might have some allur, but now they're too pedestrian , for me anyway.

Over the years I've had both:

Vettes owned: '71, '73, '75, '82, '88,
I'm a former GM test driver, tested ZR1s and C5s in their prototype stages

Vipers owned: '94RT/10, '96GTS, current 2002GTS

Vettes just aren't the same anymore :cool:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be hard to get one for a while as all of the production run is spoken for (unless you want to pay like 50-100k over sticker as they will be selling for in Autoweek etc).
Ford says it's going to be a production supercar and many folks think that because Ford is building them you will be able to get one off the lot......yeah right, with a discount....LOL

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Cody, I've noticed that tendency for enthusiasts of every make to justify their particular car over another on its relative performance merits, when comparing against lesser cars, and then turn around and use the value-per-dollar-spent yardstick, to disparage vehicles that cost more. Its always that way, like an automotive "class war" of words.

Whatever one thinks about the GT, you have to admit that it is beautiful.

I'm thinking about getting a GT for the performance, which ain't bad at all, and the great looks, and the exclusivity. I hate to admit that last reason, cause it sounds shallow and vain, but it does factor in. Everyone likes to drive a rare and special car!

I suppose I could save myself a whole lot of marital stress, and money, and just get the Gen3 coupe when it comes out. But the GT looks so much better, in my humble opinion.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Replace "GTS" with the word "Vette" in the above statement..."

Now the GT40 style looks like a Vette.... oh brother. Prime example of why other car enthusiasts can't stand Viper owners. No other car on the planet is as good as my GTS!! No way!!! Everything else is ugly.. slower.. boring.. etc.. etc..

This new GT looks like a GREAT car! I can't wait to see one. Congrats to Ford for stepping up with something that can compete with a Ferrari 360... and it will beat it. Too bad they will not keep it around longer.

This car is for the 360's and Lamborghini Gallardo's of the world. Sorry but Viper isn't even in the same class or category. You guys wouldn't allow it. You didn't even want ABS on the car!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out there,

If you haven't been paying attention, the performance of the SRT-10 Viper is comparable with the Lamborghini Murcielago and Porsche GT2 in acceleration, handling, and braking. Which IS remarkable for a full convertible.

If you are talking about purely status, then you are right, the European marques have more status. No kidding.

If you are talking about superior technology, and better HP/L then that shows your priorities. You are welcome to pony up the extra $150,000+ for a slower 360 Spyder if you like.

I also love the looks of the new Ford GT (crappy name, it should be GT44), but it's likely to be priced over $125K, and sell for over $160K for the first year or so.

So you are right, it will likely be in another category with the 360, GT2, and Gallardo.
The "over-$150,000" category.

I like the idea of Ford having a real supercar, just like I like the idea of a 500HP, 3000lb C6 Z06 Corvette, because along with the SRT-10 Viper (which will also no doubt get a power boost) it will make the Europeans take notice of American performance cars which are providing formidible competition, and for much less money.

-Dean.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock boost is 10psi, so much for just slapping on a pully, looks like there's going to be a lot more $$ to be spent finding more horses in this car than a SVT cobra.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU MISSED THE POINT again. A vette looks nothing like a GT! The GT is the next great american sports car.

We (viper owners) seem to have the same star struck look in our eyes when we talk about the GT as the vette guys do when they talk about vipers. The original post stated that he "was not envious of the GT" and "GTS is a better value". To me, that just sounded like the same thing Vette owners have been telling viper owners for years. It appears that the GT is one step up the desirable list of cars (above us).

As for the ABS.... I traded a non ABS viper for one with it. Sorry.

Unless Dodge can change my mind with a Hemi v10 coupe, I will most likly get a GT. No, I do not know if they have even considered a Hemi V10 in the viper, but I think that is the quickest way to get back in to the lead.

"Replace "GTS" with the word "Vette" in the above statement..."

Now the GT40 style looks like a Vette.... oh brother. Prime example of why other car enthusiasts can't stand Viper owners. No other car on the planet is as good as my GTS!! No way!!! Everything else is ugly.. slower.. boring.. etc.. etc..

This new GT looks like a GREAT car! I can't wait to see one. Congrats to Ford for stepping up with something that can compete with a Ferrari 360... and it will beat it. Too bad they will not keep it around longer.

This car is for the 360's and Lamborghini Gallardo's of the world. Sorry but Viper isn't even in the same class or category. You guys wouldn't allow it. You didn't even want ABS on the car!

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am paying attention. A different class means what you said "superior technology, and better HP/L" I would add build quality and manufacture rep.. and this new Ford will be in a different, higher class than the Viper. Especially, Gen1 & Gen2 Vipers. I own a Gen1 by the way.

$$ for $$ nothing beats the Z06... funny how we don't like to hear that until all the attention is paid to a car that costs more, then it's "fine but it's $60,000 more!!". And to suggest that the a GT40 looks like a Vette??? Just about the dumbest thing any GTS guy has ever said on here and that's saying a lot.

The comp is great though. The SRT should be at 550 either next year or 06 and the Coupe shouldn't have a problem approaching 600HP. I'd pay $100,000 for a SRT Coupe IF Dodge would figure out how to provide actual customer service and have build quality at much higher level. Try Competing with Lamborghini and Ferrari in something else besides 0-100-0. I agree that's the most important thing but you can't just completely ignore the rest as Dodge seems to.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I misunderstood you Cody. Not sure how one was supposed to interpret that though. I agree with what you said about the Vette too. It's weird, all my life I would dream about Corvette now it's pretty boring too me. Still a great car but it is a class below the Viper.

Why would a Hemi be better than the current V10?

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh heh sounds like the Supra "but I could get 2 for Viper money argument"... just kidding :)

Seriously though, when I saw it at the NY show last year, it was nice.. real nice. Really looked exotic with the lift off back and 2 seats.

Worth 150k though? No.
Better than a Gen2 (I'm not a big SRT fan)? Hell no.
Better than a Comp Coupe? Hahahahahahahaha

To me, it still didn't look quite as wild and awe inspiring as a Viper. Yeah it looked great and I'd love to have one, don't get me wrong... but I'd rather have a Viper any day of the week. I do give Ford credit though, for making what I'm sure will be a good, fast, INTERESTING car for a change.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw it too. I saw it this pat January in detroit. it was slammen but definetly not worth $150,000. For that much $$$, I would get a fresh Doug Levin Stage 4...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness