VOI --- Track Day at Miller Motorsports Park!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This has been posted by a couple of folks , but has been a bit hard to find for some, so here goes;

Did you want to run the Viper Days Challenge Series but found out due to all the racing activities they were unable to find a time to let you run full out on the track?! Do you want to try out one of the best tracks in the US , and test or improve your skills on a track designed for Vipers ( course designer Alan Wilson's own words ).This is a mega safe circuit with highly qualified instructors , tons of run-off , and your opportunity to run here is benefitted by having a Premier Viper Racer assisting with alot of the program ( Cindi Lux !!!!:2tu:).

Go to Viper School Track Day at Miller Motorsports Park and look over your choices. If you want quality instruction, and really want to improve your skill level view the full day in your car with instruction. Having been to 10 Racing/Driving schools over the years I can unequivocably state that this is the best place in the US for Vipers ( & instruction is superb ).

Check the rules , as convertibles will need rollbars, etc. , but hope to see plenty of you Snakecharmers there.

Thanks to everyone else who posted this prior, just making sure the news gets out ------ pricing is very competitive for high profile tracks.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper:headbang:

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Noticed alot of folks listed they wanted some fast track time, and this opportunity is phenomenal. These are longer than normal sessions and three ( 25 minute lapping periods ) should be more than enough to pique your interest in the track and get you up to speed. Having been fortunate to go to over to over 18 tracks in the US , I recommend this course and instruction first over all others . Just a safe setup and superb instructors for those that want to take advantage of that.

Bargain rate at $250 ( for just track time ) and hope to see a bunch of you there. I know Mark Jorgensen plans on registering , so let's get you track rats out there to play!!!:headbang:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to see a VOI schedule... Please don't tell me that I'm only getting a little bit of track time!

Quite honestly it's the single reason that I'm going. If there wasn't track time - well... it just wouldn't be the type of event that interests me.

So, I'm in, but I sure hope that I'm getting a fair bit of track time!

See you there,

Greg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have yet to see a VOI schedule... Please don't tell me that I'm only getting a little bit of track time! Quite honestly it's the single reason that I'm going. If there wasn't track time - well... it just wouldn't be the type of event that interests me. So, I'm in, but I sure hope that I'm getting a fair bit of track time!

See you there, Greg

Uh-Oh................better sign up for these 3 x 25-minute sessions. They will be dramaticaly more "Track Time" than has been avail at the past 10 VOIs....your usual track time is about 8 laps...total...... Track Time is NOT the primary reason one goes to VOI: Possible Exception: Indy 500 in 1996..... that WAS a primary and ironic reason many chose to go.

Last edited:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh-Oh................better sign up for these 3 x 25-minute sessions. They will be dramaticaly more "Track Time" than has been avail at the past 10 VOIs....your usual track time is about 8 laps...total...... Track Time is NOT the primary reason one goes to VOI: Possible Exception: Indy 500 in 1996..... that WAS a primary and ironic reason many chose to go.

8 laps!!!?? Seriously?

I'm not the kind of guy that likes to go to a cocktail party and discuss option packages....

Unfortunately I'll be trail guiding in Moab for The Hummer Club the day before. My plan was to cut my Hummer Club event a little short to go to VOI. Maybe I'll just stay in Moab.....

Jeez. Maybe I made a mistake here.

So - my wife asked what cloths to bring. We'll be camping on a remote trail in the desert in New Mexico and Utah the week before so the less we bring the better.

Does she need to bring a cocktail type outfit? Do I need a sports coat?

Greg

GDog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on! are you guys serious that it's only 8 laps at Miller? and what is this I've heard about only lead/follow for those laps?

I'm with Greg, the prime reason I was thinking of coming down was to run at Miller with other Vipers. Sure car shows are nice as is spending time with other Viper owners but going to Miller for some hot lapping is what sold me on the trip.

I don't want to sound like a track snob but I rather know now what to expect. Thanks in advance for any input.

Geoff

P.S. Bill I love my car!!!!!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the website that Bill posted above. Couldn't find the rules re convertibles. Is the driving on Thursday being done by NARRA or by Miller? NARRA allows convertibles with no rollbars but only in the Green run group. Is this not the case on Thursday? The $250 price that Bill posted seems to be for the afternoon at the West Track. No instruction, which is fine for me, but I don't have a roll bar in my vert which is what I'm bringing to VOI.

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VOI Participants - Sign Up for Viper Days Finals

Hey Guys:

NARRA/Viper Days, the sanctioning body of the Dodge Viper Cup and the Viper Racing League, invite you all out to watch the races at VOI. FREE OF CHARGE!!

The VOI races are an addition to the Viper Days Schedule requested by Dodge and the VCA to allow all VCA members attending VOI to experience the incredible Viper in full out wheel-to-wheel racing.

Viper Days Finals will be held at Spring Mountain and will include the Viper Days driver education program that has been developed and offered over the last 14 years.

Come watch the DVC racers compete for the $25,000 cash championship prize at Finals. The battle will come down to the last race!

If you want a Viper full track experience and a seasoned Viper driver education program please come to the Viper Days Finals at Spring Mountain on October 22-24, 2011. This is the only VCA sponsored Viper driving school. All VCA members receive a $50 discount from an already low $450 two-day track fee. A fee that inlcudes eight 30-minute run sessions with in-car and class room instruction. That is only $400 for an entire weekend!

Full trackside service is available from Archer Racing Accessories.

You also get to mix and meet all the VRL and DVC racers including the best and most sucessful Viper racer of all time, Tommy Archer, with multiple World Challenge Championships and the 14 Hours of Lemans. Don't miss this opportunity!

Here is the event information. Sign up now and reserve your space. The fieled is already half full and it will be a sell out event.

See you all there:

EVENT INFORMATION

Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, Neveda will host Finals October 22-24, 2010. Just 45 minutes from Las Vegas, Spring Mountain offers an exhilarating 2.7-miles of esses, banks, blind drops, and off-camber corners. Join Viper Days/NARRA at Spring Mountain as we witness the 2010 National Champions for the Dodge Viper Cup, Viper Racing League, and Challenge Series.

Event Details Below:
Friday Test & Tune
There will be a Test & Tune day on Friday, October 22nd. The Test & Tune is for Intermediate/Advanced drivers and racers.

Lodging
There are room blocks available at the following hotels:
Best Western (775) 727-5100
Saddle West (775) 727-5100
Loding is also available at the track. Please call Lindsay at (775) 727-6363 to make your reservation.

Overnight Camping
Overnight camping is permitted at the track for $150/weekend.

Fuel
87, 91 and 100 octane fuel available at the track.

Cocktail Party and Banquet Information:
Viper Days/NARRA will be hosting a Cocktail Party Friday evening at the track. The Cocktail Party is include in your entry fee.

The Banquet will be held at the famous Viper Taj Mahal!!!!!

Pricing
Friday Test & Tune (Intermediate/Advance, & Racers Only): $295
Challenge (Beginner, Intermediate, & Advance) Single Day: $300 Challenge (Beginner, Intermediate, & Advance) Saturday & Sunday: $450
Race Non-Contingency Single Day: $395
Race Non-Contingency Saturday & Sunday: $695
Race VCC Class Single Day: $695
Race VCC Class Saturday & Sunday: $995
ACR-X Cup Single Day: $1400
ACR-X Cup Saturday & Sunday: $2800

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8 laps!!!?? Seriously?

I'm not the kind of guy that likes to go to a cocktail party and discuss option packages....

Unfortunately I'll be trail guiding in Moab for The Hummer Club the day before. My plan was to cut my Hummer Club event a little short to go to VOI. Maybe I'll just stay in Moab.....

Jeez. Maybe I made a mistake here.

So - my wife asked what cloths to bring. We'll be camping on a remote trail in the desert in New Mexico and Utah the week before so the less we bring the better.

Does she need to bring a cocktail type outfit? Do I need a sports coat?

Greg
First off, "eight laps" is NOT the case for this VOI, and I certainly remember more laps at the prior VOI's we went to. While Jon has been to more VOI's than most of us, I think he may be off on the more recent ones and know for a fact he is off on this one. (Nothing personal Jon, but you haven't been involved in setting up this event or coordinating with the track at all).

The fact is that attendees will get plenty of track time on your designated day and we will have access to a couple different configurations in order to keep everybody on the track as much as possible. Sunday is also open as a "free day" with time to go out on the track as much as you like, limited only by the number of cars out there at one time. The only other limitation you will have during the official VOI event time is that you will have an instructor riding shotgun for insurance purposes.

As far as dress code off the track, wear what you like: We see everything from blue jeans and T-shirts to suits and ties. Most like to wear business casual to the dinners, with a fair number of sports jackets but very few ties. Of course for the scenic cruise and track days it is the usual: Blue jeans, etc.

We look forward to seeing you in Salt Lake City and on the track! :2tu:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, "eight laps" is NOT the case for this VOI, and I certainly remember more laps at the prior VOI's we went to. While Jon has been to more VOI's than most of us, I think he may be off on the more recent ones and know for a fact he is off on this one. (Nothing personal Jon, but you haven't been involved in setting up this event or coordinating with the track at all).

The fact is that attendees will get plenty of track time on your designated day and we will have access to a couple different configurations in order to keep everybody on the track as much as possible. Sunday is also open as a "free day" with time to go out on the track as much as you like, limited only by the number of cars out there at one time. The only other limitation you will have during the official VOI event time is that you will have an instructor riding shotgun for insurance purposes.

As far as dress code off the track, wear what you like: We see everything from blue jeans and T-shirts to suits and ties. Most like to wear business casual to the dinners, with a fair number of sports jackets but very few ties. Of course for the scenic cruise and track days it is the usual: Blue jeans, etc.

We look forward to seeing you in Salt Lake City and on the track! :2tu:

OK. Great information!

I know that the track isn't for everyone but for me it's the only reason I have a Viper.

Thankyou.

Greg

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To attmept clear up some confusion, Viper Racing League/Viper Cup Series and World Challenge have an extensive schedule for racing over the VOI weekend ,( can't wait to see these races ), but it precluded the ability to have a Challenge Series to run after VOI like in the past. The above mentioned course time is nothing more than a previously scheduled track day/school for Miller Motorsports Park. This is a normal occurence at all tracks in the US prior to racing events, where racers are given an opportunity to run the track for a fee.
They have set aside time for "Open Track " days and since it coincided with VOI, those individuals that were a bit frustrated that Viper Days was unable to find the extra time ( quite understandable ) for the Challenge Series, now have a chance to go run the track at speed.

To be fair to everyone involved, keep in mind that scheduling consisted of VOI-11 track excursions, Viper Cup Races, Viper Racing League Races , World Challenge Series Races and of course practice and qualifying for all the race series. This left little or no time for a Challenge Series format, and participants have to have time to do the track events that have been a part of all Viper Owner's Invitationals forever. Jon did mention that this consists of 8 laps ( could be more ), usually with an instructor, and it is still great fun and part of the VOI experience. For those that want to get more serious track time, it appears Miller Motorsports Park has come up with a solution that would assist a few " ********" drivers. Since it is Open Track Time, they have given an invite to Viper owners -- quite generous since the track is scheduled for their school and racers. They also have made the instructors available for drivers who want more extensive training at this terrific motorplex.So, if you want more track time , this is one way to accomplish it, since you will be at VOI anyway!!! If you have not signed up , this is one more superlative reason to get your butt in gear. If you only have a desire to run the track as in years past, nothing has changed, and the folks that organized this great event have not forgotten the fun that that presents to so many rabid Viper owners.

I believe with all the Viper happenings, the Viper Cup Race , etc. Miller just saw this as an opportunity to invite Viper owners to run sooner, since the scheduled track day lent itself to some open course time. Seems like good business on their part, as they are likely quite excited the Viper Community is coming to town.

Hope to see some of you there and can't wait to visit with all my fellow Viperholics in Salt Lake City at VOI-11 ----- I am stoked!!:2tu:

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the website that Bill posted above. Couldn't find the rules re convertibles. Is the driving on Thursday being done by NARRA or by Miller? NARRA allows convertibles with no rollbars but only in the Green run group. Is this not the case on Thursday? The $250 price that Bill posted seems to be for the afternoon at the West Track. No instruction, which is fine for me, but I don't have a roll bar in my vert which is what I'm bringing to VOI.
The Thursday track day is being run by Miller Motorsports Park and is not affiliated with Viper Owner Invitational, nor does it appear to have any affiliation with NARRA. As such, the site shows "Convertibles must have factory installed or SCCA approved roll bars to attend, September 30th."

Of course as with ALL prior VOI events, no roll bars are required to run on the track during VOI itself. We run with instructors riding shotgun, in this case from Bondurant Racing Schools. This is both for safety and insurance purposes, not to mention giving us novices some great education on just how awesome our Vipers perform.

Registered attendees will be getting all of this sent to them over the next few days. The event just keeps getting better (you won't believe it) and you don't dare want to miss this one! Registration closes tomorrow, September 15th. Hope to see you there!

http://www.voi11.com

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Once the schedules have been received, a LOT of the unknowns will come into clearer focus. Like I said, the PRIMARY reason most attendees go to multiple VOIs is not an abundance of track time. So much OTHER great stuff is going on. Im not "off" on the past, but Im certainly happy to be "off" the mark on this one!

Paced Parade Laps were the only offers in VOI 1-2-3. VOI #4 was the first to offer instructed hot laps (Sebring) as well as every VOI since. VOIs 4-10 indeed allowed an enjoyable and educational handful of Instructor-attended laps: 6-8 on average. VOI-10 was the first Lead-Follow format, at Chelsea, plus a Parade lap at Belle Isle. PAST FACTS: You generally got 2-3 sessions, with a window-sticker check-off of your on-track time. Im pretty sure that only one prior VOI allowed an "Open" track day, and that was quite limited by available instructors. So this Miller event would be great news for those wanting back-to-back sessions, and more time than usual.

VCA Notes says there are 20+ instructors.......THANK THEM, they will very busy, if the past is any prologue at all ! IF you have harnesses in your car, have them laid out, open and ready for your instructor. Help by handing them their left-side shoulder and lap belts. Or even the Gen 1-2 inboard OE belts. This "First Impression" of you as a driver goes a long way.

And for $250 you can drive half-day on Thursday, 1pm-5pm. 3 x 25 minute sessions. NO instructors, just a parade-lap orientation. Or, $695 full day, instructed with a lot of those same instructors, including Cindy Lux. Yes, this is a "MILLER" operated School. Viper School Track Day at Miller Motorsports Park

HAVE FUN at VOI, and be sure to come out and watch the Viper Cup Races on SAT-SUN....the cars and drivers are very accessible, and the SRT engineering team is, too. BE THERE!

You WILL have Fun at a VOI.......unless your pulse is flatlined from the excitement

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want the fun on the track that has always been present at VOIs , nothing has changed .

If you wanted to run the Challenge Series at VOI ,like has happened in the past , it won't be happening due to understandable scheduling conflicts.

The " Open Track Day, " ( Thursday ) happens at most every race track prior to the race weekend. Though not affiliated with VOI, it appears that Miller, being the host to so much of the VOI events, felt is was only courteous to invite Viper attendees to the already scheduled track day.

It appears by the notes that some thought there was a change and if Jon and I caused confusion , my apologies. This was just a note for the very serious track rats, that there was an open track day we were invited to. Everyone will apparently get plenty of track time with instructors during this VOI, and if you want even more here is your opportunity!

Rollbars, or an Autoform SCCA approved hardtop are required for all SRT10 verts, and the same should apply to RT-10s --- as noted by Chris , this is not applicable for VOI track time.

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. We anticipate some of the most manageable run group sizes in recent memory which means more track time for everybody. Dodge is sending numerous factory Vipers for this event so that everybody can get a chance to enjoy a Viper at MMP.

Knowing a lot of the Viper owners aren't quite as track-dedicated as Greg, we suspect that one of the areas most in demand (believe it or not) will be the go kart tracks. These aren't your kiddie kart tracks at the amusement park, these are purpose-built kart courses where you can drive the heck out of somebody elses equipment: Miller Motorsports Park | Karting

This will indeed be a VOI to remember (aren't they all?) and those that missed it will most definitely be regretting it when the reports start flowing from Salt Lake City!

PS. And in deference to Mr. Brobst and our other fine exhibitors, be sure to visit the PartsRack booth at the Grand America Hotel. That area alone will quickly become a destination for a number of different reasons. Remember those awesome airbrushed Gen II hoods on display at CAAP? How would you like to own one of them? :D

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This sounds like fun.

Now all I need to do is get my VP to attend the President's meeting for me.....

GDog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for all your posts and responses! You've sold me on it and yesterday I registered for VOI11 (unfortunately Bill I will not be able to make the event on the 30th). I'm really excited to be going.

Thanks again

Geoff

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you got in at the last minute GDog

I signed onto the open lapping the afternoon before the opening dinner.
:drive: then :meal:

I think this will be a blast!

Greg

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If some of you are still having trouble getting into the system to register ( since a few of you have called me ) , try calling Bill Rhinehart at the track , and he will help you out.

1-435-277-7333 ext. 1

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well - much track time was indicated and there basically was none. I did 8 laps at a speed that required zero braking. Basically a parade. I went as slow as the slowest car in our group which was obviously a 'first time on the track' guy. I pulled into pit lane to make a gap but that disappeared very quickly - less than 1/2 lap.

I loved the event but the track time was a big disappointment for me.

I'm very, very glad that I signed up for the lapping before the event. I basically had the track to myself for 1 1/2 hours. It was the icing on the cake!

VOI was fantastic and those that organized it did a fantastic job. Full stop. They really did fantastic.

I guess I expected that a Viper event at a race track would involve some speed on the track. My expectation was just not in line with what was planned. I'll be better informed next time.

Anyway - thanks to the lapping before the event I got my 'fix'.

Chris and Mary - great job!

Greg