want to get 500 rwhp VEC-2 Heads, Cam, Cats Which order should I go

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will hat combo get me there. I heard the vec-2 is great for modifid engines but how modified? What kind of power would you expect to get from this combo. Could I see 550rwhp or so?

Also should I do the vec first or the mods first, seems to me the vec wont be as useful until the mods which would make me have to get it tuned twice if I put the vec on first.

What's funny is I dont even have a viper yet but will real soon. IT will be a 98-00 GTS most likely the 00' I have my eyes on right now.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id install the VEC first as you can always tune every mod you do for more power and better driveability.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it first.I think you will find it sounds lousy but has enough power.My first mods were catback,then no cats plus headers for the sound of it.Gained about 30rwhp.Most likely when it sounds right to you you will notice the push and clumsy feel of the car at times.Then its eibachs,shock adjust and a more agressive alignment.Of course they all(not gen 3) need brake improvements.Think handling and brakes first,Get used to it then add power.Just my humble thoughts.You will probably hear from a lot of 800HP owners that don't think its enough yet.Depends on if you think of it more as a drag car or a road car. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 900hp vette so Im not going that route with the viper. I want enough power to beat C6Z's and down the line to beat the blue devil. With a viper I can do it N/A. I was hoping the brakes were sufficient. Do I need a BBK or just better pads? Shocks or springs is a must I agree as I see this car being more RR than anything. Want to see a QM just for reference but not a lot of em.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the new 650 hp vette coming out next year. It will be supercharged. No definite name yet Sting Ray, Blue Devil, SS, All names being tossed around.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mod bug will bite, and when it does, you will regret getting the 2000. Better to go with the 99 and earlier cars for the forged piston and better cam. 2000 is the bastard year and should have gotten ABS at least :(

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For non-ABS cars there are nice big brake kits like Dave's - he has very reasonably priced brackets to mount SRT calipers on all four corners. Some modifications involved, probably $3K, and looks great... or there is the conversion of the factory rear caliper that resizes the piston from 36mm to 40mm and also provides > 1.0G braking, for 20% of the cost and a straightforward, quick swap reusing OEM rotors, pads, hoses, etc. Either has good road race credentials; for lots and lots of track time the larger rear pads are an advantage in the long run. (but you can buy lots of pads for the price difference...)

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much would yo uguys estimate for heads cam vec-2/aem and full exhaust?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much would yo uguys estimate for heads cam vec-2/aem and full exhaust?

Lose the cam, BIG expense, the motor must be removed. Belanger Headers & 3" catbacks, Randomtech hi-flow cats 3" in/out, heads & 1.7 Roller Rockers will get you close to or at 500 rwhp even in a '00 creampuff. VEC 2 will help also (and with stock cam you'll probably pass the smog "sniff" test)

BTW, if your eyeing an '00 check the build date on the door jam, make sure it was built after 11/99, possible engine sleeve issues on the first 200 built in the 2000 model year.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modding like this can be expensive.
Heads $3500+
Rockers $600+
VEC2 $900
Headers $1700
Labor ?
OR
A DIY RoeS/C from the classifieds for around $5500.

With everything else stock you will have 500+hp and the potential for more.
Deal with the exhaust note later. IMHO

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I have found the car I want it has

BORLA EXHUAST TO REAR
HALF CATS
ROLLER ROCKERS
ALUMINUM FLY WHEEL
BAFFLED OIL PAN
K&N FILTERS
HIGH FLOW ELDEBROCK HEADERS
SMOOTH TUBES
OVER SIZE THROTTLE BODIES

It is claimed to make 475rwhp which I think heads cam would put me at 550rwhp easy which is my goal, not immediately, but down the road. If it's fast enough to hang with or beat a Z06 I would be happy.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not have to remove the engine to swap cams. I have done this on my 2000. Need to remove the cross-member, radiator, loosen motor mounts and tip the engine up about 10 degrees and it will clear. You do not even have to remove the AC condensor, so you do not have to do an refrigerant recharge. I had about a half inch to spare doing the cam swap.