What happened to my post about TireRack's great Pilot Sport Cup deal?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually bought 2 spare pairs of rears myself. Seeing the fronts are the same size and are used on a few other cars still in production, I will buy fronts as needed. I vacuum bagged my rears and put them in the corner of the basement so they will be ready when I need them.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang chorps, you must do ALOT of uhh, wheel spinning!:drive:

Planning on doing a few track days next year so I'm sure I'll go through at least one set.

I actually bought 2 spare pairs of rears myself. Seeing the fronts are the same size and are used on a few other cars still in production, I will buy fronts as needed. I vacuum bagged my rears and put them in the corner of the basement so they will be ready when I need them.

What bags did you use to store them and what do you use to vacuum seal it? The bags I had around were too small.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with one of the salesmen & I got the impression these are more or less for the track than for the strip. Can anybody offer a lil' more insight as for what these type tires are best suited for. What about everyday driving on them, also got the impression they don't last very long. I'm not really worried about how much mileage I get out of them as I am about them having a lot of grip to them (I guess more so for stop light to stop light or strip)!

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heard that these sticky tires will pick up alot of rocks and pebbles on surfaces and will kick it back on up to the sides by the exhaust
so be prepared for rock chips unless you have 3M'd them or have the mudguards :)

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heard that these sticky tires will pick up alot of rocks and pebbles on surfaces and will kick it back on up to the sides by the exhaust
so be prepared for rock chips unless you have 3M'd them or have the mudguards :)

Yes this is all true and I am debating whether to mount the rockguards (ugh), 3M (do I need to patch up the underside of the sill first?), or get a side splitter mounted.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes this is all true and I am debating whether to mount the rockguards (ugh), 3M (do I need to patch up the underside of the sill first?), or get a side splitter mounted.
Chorps I know how you feel about the rockguards, I just couldn't see putting them on a Viper but there are some that really like them. You know the old saying be careful for what you ask for, well I guess that applies to me here. I wanted sticky, just didn't think about being sticky they're gonna pick up everything they come in contact with including all the little rocks & pebbles! Guess I have to make a decision now! Thanks jman2 for this helpful lil' tidbit.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no worries matt, i was seriously considering the cup sports but then heard about this through garron. so since my car is more of a
garage queen i think i'll settle for the supersports , but man the cups look real cool on an GEN 4 ACR though! perhaps i should buy one and look at it in the garage next to my viper?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some large black plastic bags (I think they were 65 gallon ones that I had laying around for a while). I put the itres in them, put the nozzle of my vacuum into it and sucked the air out of the bag. Before I removed the nozzle I warmed the the end of the bag with my wifes hair dryer to make it softer and then using some strong fishing line tied the bag shut. I can get them to pretty much air free for 10-12 months then I give them a little more of the vacuum treatment.

I first was taught this technique when I was in the Air Force coming back from overseas with more stuff than you went over with and no extra space to bring it home.

QUOTE Planning on doing a few track days next year so I'm sure I'll go through at least one set.

What bags did you use to store them and what do you use to vacuum seal it? The bags I had around were too small.[/QUOTE]

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the vacuum, Steve!
I could only find 55 gallon bags, and the rears barely fit with some coaxing... a little stretch to get them over, but no rips. I used a regular vacuum as well.I am sure they make 'space bags' for tires, no?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could only find 55 gallon bags, and the rears barely fit with some coaxing... a little stretch to get them over, but no rips. I used a regular vacuum as well.I am sure they make 'space bags' for tires, no?
If you do find some space bags that are large enough let me know.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with one of the salesmen & I got the impression these are more or less for the track than for the strip. Can anybody offer a lil' more insight as for what these type tires are best suited for. What about everyday driving on them, also got the impression they don't last very long. I'm not really worried about how much mileage I get out of them as I am about them having a lot of grip to them (I guess more so for stop light to stop light or strip)!

Sport Cups are the tires that come with the Gen 4 ACR's from the factory. So that should give you an idea as to what they are best for. Also, not the best tire in the rain for the street.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant