What is really behind Viper/Michelin relationship?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask because something happened to me today that I am still trying to make sense of.

So some background, I bought some 1999 Viper ACR BBS authentic rims for my 1996 RT/10 we just got a few weeks ago and went to Discount Tire for new PS2s. They gave me a screaming deal on them at $1,650 all taxes, mounted, and balanced in, plus I get the Michelin $70 rebate.

The day we are off to the hospital for labor with our son, on the way a Regional Discount Tire VP calls me and says I am sorry we can not sell you those Michelins for your 1996 Viper due to sidewall rating issues, different car weights, etc. I went off a little (mostly due to my wife's labor and getting to the hospital on time) saying the cars are only 50 to 75 lbs apart for those years and this is crazy. I then cut him off and just told him we would square up and figure it out when I get back.

Well birth went great and we have a happy, healthy baby boy. My wife is doing great as well. I also had a moment today on way o get groceries so I called the Discount store by my house where we were buying from. They tell me to come in. The store manager apologizes a couple of times saying this is their (Discount's concern) fault and they just can not mount those on my rims and put the wheels on my car. The issue was raised on their end to their SVP. After their own discussions with Michelin and Discount tire, Michelin and Discount's performance tire division together starting quoting, side load, toe in, weight balance issues, etc. with that tire and size on an earlier than 1999-2002 Viper and Discount just said they would not accept the liability. The local store manager also expressed that Discount had some issues with previous sales in this situation which there were issues.

Then the strange thing. Discount refunded me all my money back and said we are sorry this is our fault AND gave me the new tires for free to have someone else mount them. They said they do not want to lose a valuable customer over the past 15 years at this location (tires for my 5 vehicles) and Discount's inability to accept the liability of the situation after discussions with Michelin, is not my fault.

Now I have never in all my years come across this. Awesome I got a set of new tires for nothing, but I just feel absolutely wrong about everything. Then I started to think, how bad must this Michelin/Viper situation and relationship be that Discount would sooner give away a set of tires for free after consult with Michelin, then accept the liability of them even being mounted.

Something tells me there is much, much more behind the Michelin relationship fall out then any of us will ever know. Anyone ever had something like this happen before. I just can not make sense of this all? Corporate America I guess. The local Discount has a customer for life in me, but it just seems like there is so much more behind this.

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off...congrats on the addition to the family! Sleep while/when you can. Trust me. :). As far as the tires go...very strange indeed. I have no insight or explanation but it does seem very weird.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Score on the tires but have no clue about the sidewall load weights etc. Michelin must have lost lots of $$$ when Chyrsler filed BK?

Congratulations on the new Baby Boy. :2tu:

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a strange story indeed. Maybe you should ask Luke @Tire Rack if he's heard of these compatibility issues.

And congrats as well.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's 1 of the strangest stories I've heard. I had PS2's mounted on my 96' RT/10 a couple months ago and noone said anything. The tires were bought from a vendor in Washington state who has sold tires to Viper owners for years, so if it was any "safety" issue involved, he would've let me know.

I def would like to hear more about your situation and why it occurred.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did change the factory 5 spoke 17" rims to the 99-02 ACR BBS 18" rims. It was using those 18" PS2s that they had a major issue with on my year of 96 RT/10 Viper. They had no issue with new PS2s on factory 17" rims. Just very strange, indeed!

Reaction score
It was probably just the liability for the tire not being totally compliant with the spec for the car. You can buy ANY tire you want ad install them, but if the tire store does they could be in a vulnerable position if something were to happen. This is the same reason that we cannot patch a speed rated tire, the store that does it could be liable if there was any type of high speed failure because of the repair. IF you do patch a speed rated tire you should basically void any speed rating it has.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose Mark. Maybe it is because then the 96' winter chains can't be installed properly on a non 17" factory tire? Ha! Ha! :dunno: Crazy world, I would have been okay with just a Tire voucher but I will take the free tires.

Told my wife about it after picking up groceries and the refund lasted all of 2 hrs. After taking some minor lumps for screwing around at the tire shop instead of an in and out singular mission to The grocery store, well we now have that fancy Venetian Bronze Iron screen door being installed! The one she (I mean we) has been wanting for the past 10 years.

Good thing I got and paid off some toys before our 10th Wedding Anniversary this year and before our little guy came along. I better get use to the empty wallet and probably stomach now. :rolaugh: Thankfully there needs to still be a small vehicle maintenance fund. Maybe I can sneak a few upgrades into that as well over time.

Truth be told she has been very understanding and forgiving on this car hobby of mine. After the severe health scares of last year for me resulting in having to sell my 06' Coupe, life is so much better and rewarding now. She was he one pushing me hard to trade out the old car so I could still have fun. Ah..I love my family. :2tu:

Reaction score
Sounds like you and your family have a great balance, you are fortunate to have a understanding wife that knows what you enjoy and encourages you to live life to the fullest! :D

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember old threads didn't the 18" tires come coded branded differently in the sizes for a Viper. One style had a code for Viper use and the other didn't although there were both the same sizes. Must be all the ones coded for Viper use are gone and this is leftover stock.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it's just what Mark described above about the liability issues... simply put, there are way too many lawyers these days so people are always afraid to do anything anymore even if common sense says there is no issue. Not meant to offend those on here who are attorneys but it is what it is.
As far as the free tires is concerned, that likely had nothing to do with the Viper/Michelin relationship and more to do with your relationship as a long time customer in good standing.

BTW... Congratz on the baby! :1up:

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They show C1 on front tires and no code I can see on rear ones! Big O is mounting them on the rims right now for $16 each.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I am not sure of this point, I seem to recall that the "C1" code appeared on Viper specific tires, while not appearing on tires of the same size and type of Michelin products designed for other cars. Fact or fiction??

Certainly, our 2008 Viper Coupe PS2 tires are labelled "C1" front and rear...as are the OLD pilot Sports on our 99 ACR and 01 GTS.

Does it really matter? Can't say...BUt, it would matter to me. On the other hand, maybe they do not make a 335 "C1" in 17" size.

Call Luke at Tire Rack to sort !!

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am clueless as well. By that Logic, I have Viper Specific front tires as they have C1 on them but can't find any code on rear. I guess at this point doesn't matter as not sure Michelin makes those rear 18" 335s for anything but a Viper anyway.In reality beggars can't be choosers and they gave them for free hence they will work out for my putzing around driving.The whole thing seems strange, but such is life.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I recall, the C-1 code indicated stiffer bead/sidewall inserts. These give better transient response and more consistent cornering at the limit. If I didn't have these, I'd probably bump the pressures up 1-2 psi over the C-1 tires as a workaround if they felt lazy to me. The non C-1s might also prefer a slightly different camber setting to make them work better. I remember that the XGT-Z Gen 1 Michelins had much softer sidewalls and weighed less than the MXX3's on the Gen 2. They also had a better warm weather compound for track use than the MXX3s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456