What is that noise coming from my viper?

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 Viper SRT-10. This is my first viper, and I have a lot to learn about these cars. I had a quick question about the car, and was wondering if someone on the board could help. I tried contacting the dealer I bought it from on two occasions, and still got no responses back. I noticed that when I drive the car longer than a half hour strait, there is a noise coming from the vents in front of the driver side door when I turn the car off. It sounds almost like a fan, or something spinning. I did not see any fan in that area, and there is no noise coming from the vents in front of the passenger side door. I was wondering what this noise could be. It tends to stop between 2-5 minutes after the car is turned off. Being that my experience with vipers is limited, I was just wondering if this is a problem with the car, or it is something that is normal. Thank you in advance for any feedback or help on this situation.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just a guess but perhaps it is your anti lock break system pumping up to full pressure. Like I said, just a guess. If so you have a leak down problem in the system and it needs fixing.

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input thus far. I am from CT. The car has a manufacturer warranty, but a warranty from the dealer I bought it from. The noise sounds like a fan or soemthign spinning, and like I said, only by the driver side vents. If I run the car for short periods of time, the fan does not kick on; but when I am driving it for a while, the fan sound is on when I shut the car off (for only a few minutes). I am going to take it to be looked at, but my temps just expired, so going to register it tomorrow or Friday. Just wanted to know if this is something normal on the srt-10 vipers and was curious if any of the other owners have some sort of fan noise coming from their car when they shut it off. Thanks so much for the input thus far...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your '05 Viper purchase...and yeah, under warranty--hope you can bring it to a qualified Viper Technician near you~~~good luck, and welcome!!! ~juli

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input thus far. I am from CT. The car has a manufacturer warranty, but a warranty from the dealer I bought it from.
Don't know about that. If your car is an '05 and has less than 36k miles, you can take it any Dodge dealership's service department you so choose - your car is still covered under the 3/36. Just make sure sure that the service department has experience (competent Viper Tech) and a good reputation with servicing Vipers.

Did you buy a DC extended warranty? Still shouldn't matter because you're covered under the 3/36 and any dealership which services Vipers has to honor it. If they sold you some other type of warranty, shame on them for not offering you a DC warranty. Cancel the warranty, get your money back, then give Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge a call.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only 800 miles on the car, so I should be covered. I do def want to bring it up to chuck tator, heard he is the best. I wanted to take this locally first though, in case it is a major problem. Wouldn't want to make it worse or anything. Like I said, this is my first viper, and just leanring about them as I go. I figured at first it might be a fan to cool down the engine, but could not figure out why the fan would be on by the vents on the driver side of the car, and not any noise coming from the ones on the pasenger side. Plus, I did not see any fans there either. I really do appreciate all the feedback, and of cours ethe more input the better. Trying to learn all I can about this car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input thus far. I am from CT. The car has a manufacturer warranty, but a warranty from the dealer I bought it from.
Don't know about that. If your car is an '05 and has less than 36k miles, you can take it any Dodge dealership's service department you so choose - your car is still covered under the 3/36. Just make sure sure that the service department has experience (competent Viper Tech) and a good reputation with servicing Vipers.
Did you buy a DC extended warranty? Still shouldn't matter because you're covered under the 3/36 and any dealership which services Vipers has to honor it. If they sold you some other type of warranty, shame on them for not offering you a DC warranty. Cancel the warranty, get you money back, then give Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge a call.

I was going to recommend the same--CHUCK TATOR/VIPER WIZARD on these forums...Tator's Dodge in South Salem, NY...you can look him up under [email protected] He is our specialized Viper Tech for the NY/CT/NE region.
~juli~
He can also answer any of your Viper questions--it's a VERY fun car to learn!~! Glad you are in 'learn' mode...

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your car "Thehouseofpower", and welcome aboard!

Be sure to get your membership in....you can buy raffle tickets for the 1st public '08 Viper once you're a member and I think the two Vieprs would look nice beside each other....of course that is if I don't win it.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did actually email chuck, and he said he would have to hear it. What a nice guy though. I will look for a local place to take it in the mean time, until I get it up to Chuck. The 05 vipers actually do have a fan that runs when the car is off correct? If so, I was trying to figure out why it soudns like it is coming from the vent. Regardless, what an awesome car it is! I am hooked now...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If by fan, you mean the radiator fan...they are not electric from 2003 onward, but run by hydraulic pressure supplied by the power steering system's pump which is belt driven. Our 2003 does not have a running fan after engine shut-down.

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to have to pop the hood next time and see if I can pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. I figured the radiator fan might run after it is shut off, but was not sure. However, I have no idea why the sound would be coming from in front of the door as opposed to the front of the car.

V

Venomiss

Congrats on your car "Thehouseofpower", and welcome aboard!

Be sure to get your membership in....you can buy raffle tickets for the 1st public '08 Viper once you're a member and I think the two Vieprs would look nice beside each other....of course that is if I don't win it.

Regards,
Aaron
What he said! And being a member he just won the prize giveaway for July for this website. Membership is worth it!
In case you missed this in the newbies section here is a good thread to read also:

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603453

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the above is quite correct. You can take it to any DC dealer but make sure they show you the techs papers that show he is viper certified as most DC dealers are not viper certified. Insist on seeing the papers. If I were you I would go straight to Chuck Tator as I can personally vouch for him as the best viper tech there is. If the noise is there after the ignition key is turned off then it can not be the fan as the engine has to be running to turn the power steering pump which powers the hydraulic fan. I still believe it might be the ABS pump which normally is always powered on so it keeps the system charged up. Please let us all know the outcome of your problem.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an odd noise that I get in the door on my 06, it happens for a few minutes when I turn the car off sometimes, and lasts a couple of minutes at most....it doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes it is only momentary. It sounds like static coming from the speakers as if there was some kind of electrical charge dissipating thru the electrical system

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me any specific viper tech in the middlesex county (CT) area. I am def going to see chuck tator, as everyone says he is the man. However, if I do in fact have a problem, like the abs mentioned, I woudl rather have it fixed before I driver over 100 miles in the car. Thank you again everyone for all the input. Def a cool board!

V

Venomiss

This is the regional website for NY/CT and might have some information that will be helpful. On the right side they have a listing for dealers.
Scott Grayson is the president and is a really good guy who posts on these boards.
Good Luck!

http://www.nyctvca.org/

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the regional website for NY/CT and might have some information that will be helpful. On the right side they have a listing for dealers.
Scott Grayson is the president and is a really good guy who posts on these boards.
Good Luck!
http://www.nyctvca.org/

Thank you, Mary for catching that...that is very helpful information and I can also vouch for Scott~~he's under CitySnake...he is also extremely helpful. ~juli~

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car makes noise from under the hood after I shut down. Can't notice it outside but it's obvious in the garage. Best way to describe it is a "hissing" sound. Lasts about 30 seconds. It's always done it. Don't know if this is what you're describing.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me any specific viper tech in the middlesex county (CT) area. I am def going to see chuck tator, as everyone says he is the man. However, if I do in fact have a problem, like the abs mentioned, I woudl rather have it fixed before I driver over 100 miles in the car. Thank you again everyone for all the input. Def a cool board!

I would call Branhaven in Branford, 203-488-9460, and ask for Erik. As to speak to his viper tech. I had a great experience there when I brought in my 2003 for the headlight recall. They allowed me to stay with the car in the shop and even did a few other tweaks for free when asked. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

A for Pappas Dodge, in New Britain, CT, I bought my viper from them and was going to take it there for the recall until my friend brought his 2002 GTS there with a check engine light on. He had bought it new from there the month before. I had run a scan test on it and told him he needed a new gas cap. Pappas told him he needed a new gas tank and would have to remove the rear axle to replace it. He told them to drop dead and I ordered the gas cap, installed it, and reset the code and he has not had a problem in a year.

The choice is yours but I would still drive to Chuck tators.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The choice is yours but I would still drive to Chuck tators.

Have to agree with Robbie here as well....you won't find a better Viper Tech....even if you have to drive further away...he checks your WHOLE car out....he and his expert techs.
~juli

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or since it's Friday, maybe see about meeting up with a local Viper owner at a show and see if they can give a listen. A fellow owner would perhaps be more likely to identify the noise than a non-owner, even if the non-owner is a car savvy type. Just having experience with a type of car can often answer the question.

Just go for a drive. You're bound to find Robby and his car's twin out there ripping around. Somehow I used to feel like he was stalking me because I'd always see the same dude out and about on 66 (where my ex lived) or down the south end of 9 (where I ran the health center at Essex Meadows for a time) and sometimes with a second red SRT-10 in chase. For a while I thought "that guy" in the SRT-10 never got out of the driver seat. :drive:

Edit: apparently the other seat he never leaves is the one in front of his computer. =)

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an update on the nosie situation. I took the viper to the dmv this mornign for resgistration. I decided not to run the ac, which is the first time I did this. When I shut off the car, there was not noise. I will drive it again later todayy if the weather holds up, but thinking it could be soemthing with the ac. In other new emailed chuck and calling him next week to make an appointement. Can't wait to meet the wizard himself :)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an update on the nosie situation. I took the viper to the dmv this mornign for resgistration. I decided not to run the ac, which is the first time I did this. When I shut off the car, there was not noise. I will drive it again later todayy if the weather holds up, but thinking it could be soemthing with the ac. In other new emailed chuck and calling him next week to make an appointement. Can't wait to meet the wizard himself :)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! You will NOT be disappointed!~~~~juli

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the latest bit of info that you provided in your last post, I am going to take a stab at this and see if anyone else climbs on board.

when you A/C is running, it is circulating freon throughout the system at very high presssure. It involves the transition from small orifices to large volume tubing in order for the process to work.

After you shut the car off and the compressor stops turning, there is still high pressure in the system that will seek to equalize itself through out the system. I believe you are hearing the normal sounds of the freon traveling through the system in an effort to equal its internal pressure. After a few minutes the sound stops as the pressure has equalized itself. I can hear it all of my Dodges (including the viper) to one extent or another.

That is my take on the situation....

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here I was thinking it might be a huge problem in the car. It does sounds like soemthing spinning though, is that common? Just converetd to dodge recentally, this is actually my first dodge, had it drilled in my head since I was a kid that chevy is the best. Well, dad's arn't always right I guess. I am going to see when chuck tator can squeeze me in, in the mean time will try and find a local viper owner to take a listen.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here I was thinking it might be a huge problem in the car. It does sounds like soemthing spinning though, is that common? Just converetd to dodge recentally, this is actually my first dodge, had it drilled in my head since I was a kid that chevy is the best. Well, dad's arn't always right I guess. I am going to see when chuck tator can squeeze me in, in the mean time will try and find a local viper owner to take a listen.

We all certainly do hope you find out the source of the noise...hopefully it IS something very minor. BTW: We (Mike & I) personally have had ALL makes/models of cars, and are NOT brand-specific. The Viper is away and by FAR the MOST fun/attractive/powerful/gorgeous/RAW BEAST we have EVER driven...has won our hearts over for sure!~! (But, sure, we've had Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, etc....) Good Luck, and let us know what you find out. ~juli~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang