Who Blew The Dyno

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just learned that a Viper blew up a local Dyno Seattle Area. The Viper left a big hole in the floor after the explosion The Viper was making over 1000 hp at the Rear wheels. Anyone know the particulars?
Thanks, Dan Vargus/GT2-001

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't think of a way to cause an explosion on a dynojet dyno, since it's just a rotating metal drum. An eddy current dyno or mustang dyno which has to dissipate the power could conceivably break like that. I know Doug Levin broke a dyno with his personal car a while back, but I didn't hear anything about an explosion.

I'm certainly eager for details of this story now
smile.gif

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This really is too good of an oppertunity to pass up but all of my jokes would get censored by a mod.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
I can't think of a way to cause an explosion on a dynojet dyno, since it's just a rotating metal drum. An eddy current dyno or mustang dyno which has to dissipate the power could conceivably break like that. I know Doug Levin broke a dyno with his personal car a while back, but I didn't hear anything about an explosion.

I'm certainly eager for details of this story now
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
laugh.gif
I remember something about Doug Levin broke a dyno during a contest. They said he broke the dyno and the windows in the building. The car made over 1000hp at the rear tires and it went over the torque rating on the dyno. I wanted to go but made it to Florida a week after the show.

Chuck B.

mystic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
laugh.gif
I remember something about Doug Levin broke a dyno during a contest. They said he broke the dyno and the windows in the building. The car made over 1000hp at the rear tires and it went over the torque rating on the dyno. I wanted to go but made it to Florida a week after the show.

Chuck B.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Dougs car makes over 1k RWHP? I wonder how reliable the car is and how often he drives it compared to the number of hours its being worked on? Anyone know whats done to his car?

Dave

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; Dougs car makes over 1k RWHP? I wonder how reliable the car is and how often he drives it compared to the number of hours its being worked on?

Dave -- consider that Supras can reliably make 500+ RWHP from 3 liters. Is it any surprise that Vipers can reliably make 1000+ RWHP from 8 liters?

As for what Doug did to his personal car, I don't have details, but a fair bet would be: built engine + supercharger + NOS. That seems to be his recipe for truly obscene HP...

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Doug, he is the coolest guy!

I visited his shop over a year ago and back then he had a customers car that did over 150 in the 1/4. (Big problem is you need a chute at 150.)

That was his Stage III back then if I recall correctly.

Tom

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog