Why no electronic stability control, etc?

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why doesn't Dodge offer options like electronic stability control, traction control, or launch control on the Viper? It seems to me, it would make the car a lot safer to drive for the average driver. It can be turned off if you don't want it. The Viper has the reputation for being scary to drive, especially in the rain. Perhaps with these features, more people might buy Vipers and help to keep the Viper brand from going under.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heavier and also a lot more money and take away from what it was. a raw,mean,loud machine

buy a vette for that stuff

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the "Grailkeeper" said it best. "Sure, the viper has traction control. Your left and right foot. Learn to use them." I see what you are saying but as plumcrazy had mentioned thats just notwhat the viper is about. People that buy a viper generally know what they are getting into for the most part. :0)

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every few months this topic gets revisited. The standard is answer is as plum already mentioned. Most of us who own them love the fact that these cars come without it. Adding that feature would just drop the viper down a class.

:usa:

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why doesn't Dodge offer options like electronic stability control, traction control, or launch control on the Viper? It seems to me, it would make the car a lot safer to drive for the average driver. It can be turned off if you don't want it. The Viper has the reputation for being scary to drive, especially in the rain. Perhaps with these features, more people might buy Vipers and help to keep the Viper brand from going under.
Vipers , were never meant to be for the "average driver.":drive:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally would never get it, but if they offered stability control as an option, I'm sure some people might opt for it. My gut tells me that avoiding the 'scary factor' isn't as much a factor in people's buying decision as the 'daily driver' factor. You can comfortably drive a Vette or Porsche every day - from both a comfort/practicality standpoint as well as the paranoia standpoint. Owners of those cars just don't seem to worry as much about leaving them in a parking lot as we do - or at least as I do. I'm not sure if it's a love of the car or what - but I cringe at the thought of coming back to my car and seeing a big scratch in it or a busted bumper/taillight. That really does make taking it out a bit less fun than if I didn't give a damn. As long as I'm driving it, it's great - but parking it is always an issue.

As far as the scary factor goes - for me that is a selling point of the car. I drive the car for fun, and scaring the cr@p out of myself every once in a while is what I paid for. I certainly wouldn't want to press a "no fun" button on this car.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AGREED!!!!!!!!!
As far as the scary factor goes - for me that is a selling point of the car. I drive the car for fun, and scaring the cr@p out of myself every once in a while is what I paid for. I certainly wouldn't want to press a "no fun" button on this car.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they even offered it as an option, they will be getting away from the history of the car and the reason for its success and following. That is my biggest fear with the Fiat deal. I am holding on to mine for now.

I personally would never get it, but if they offered stability control as an option, I'm sure some people might opt for it. My gut tells me that avoiding the 'scary factor' isn't as much a factor in people's buying decision as the 'daily driver' factor. You can comfortably drive a Vette or Porsche every day - from both a comfort/practicality standpoint as well as the paranoia standpoint. Owners of those cars just don't seem to worry as much about leaving them in a parking lot as we do - or at least as I do. I'm not sure if it's a love of the car or what - but I cringe at the thought of coming back to my car and seeing a big scratch in it or a busted bumper/taillight. That really does make taking it out a bit less fun than if I didn't give a damn. As long as I'm driving it, it's great - but parking it is always an issue.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree as the next thing people will want is a Automatic or some other crappy thing in the Greatest Car on Earth, REAL MEN SHIFT THERE OWN GEARS AND DO NOT NEED TRACTION CONTROL!!!! Thats why you have 2 feet. USE THEM

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Viper would wait on electronic nannies until they were well developed, economical, light weight and have the ability to enhance the Viper driving experience.

As of now they are expensive, heavy, and take away much of the driving experience, so maybe later they will be offered when federally mandated, or much further along in development.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"So why doesn't Dodge offer options like electronic stability control, traction control, or launch control on the Viper?"

During the recent bankruptcy, the p*s*y department was disbanded. LOL.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an interesting subject.. different aspects..

Cost as always is a big hitter.. Analysis, vehicle dynamics, etc.. months in engineering and testing can be burned up to develop a system for the car. Unless you already share a platform with another car which cuts costs (i.e. Corvette and Cadillac share the same system), the Viper would absorb all the cost to develop, no other car is built on it's extremely low volume platform..

Many Viper drivers aren't skilled enough to realize they are going too fast and it may be just as bit as dangerous for some to have electronic stability.. I drive faster and more aggressive in a Corvette with electronic stability, that's not the best thing to do.. relying on electronics..

On a related note.. how cars are designed for people.. A couple examples such as when I worked at Chrysler in the past... the Chrysler 300 roll center is slightly below the center of gravity. The roll center is based on suspension geometry. Roll center below CofG will cause the car to have more body roll, and this was intentional because there are those who do not realize they are going too fast around the corner if it wasn't leaning, which they would expect the car would do.. the feeling the car is leaning slows down an average driver instinctively. Another is dive, street cars are designed to dive during braking. The dynamics of a street car is a science related to human reactions, not to simply make the car handle better like a race car.

The Viper as it is, definitely have to appreciate the fact that you are forced to learn how to drive better, you don't have that little button to switch the car to a handicap assist mode..

Last edited:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nanny tech is overrated, expensive, and complex to fix when it fails and it all eventually does fail. The more nanny tech on a car, the more the need to buy an extended warranty that may or may not cover repairs and to ditch the car before it expires.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So why doesn't Dodge offer options like electronic stability control, traction control, or launch control on the Viper? It seems to me, it would make the car a lot safer to drive for the average driver. Perhaps with these features, more people might buy Vipers.

I was originally in the market for a Shelby (A/C) Cobra replica. By far the most beautiful car I've ever seen. A Pure BEAST of a car, I loved the curves, the Big Engine, the Meaty Tires, and its Bare-Bones racing heritage.
:usa:
The only other car that ever dropped my jaw like the Cobra was the VIPER GTS. No surprise CS had a hand in both. The Viper is the illegitimate son of the A/C Cobra. Putting that Crap on this car would be akin to Neutering it. :crazy2:

I just drove my friend's 09 Vette around the Santa Barbara Mountains last week. Beautiful car. Comfy, Quiet, Fast, Got all the doodads you mention. Boring as Hell compared to my Viper. I found myself staring lovingly at my car as I followed it down the road. What a Bad-A$$ ****!!!

And its NOT a cupholder- its an ash-tray!
:mad:

cubicinches

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats not a cup holder in the 03 SRTs its a change holder for tollway change. Kinda hard getting change out your pockets while on the road, at least for me it is.:drive:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Racelogic makes a system for the Viper, installed by one of the more prominent Viper dealers, and used by some prominent Viper race drivers, that doesn't seem to be "too expensive" or "add too much weight" as many have indicated. Fully adjustable system that seems to work. Why it makes sense to not take advantage of new technology for those unexpected circumstances when the Viper gets a little squirrly is beyond me?

Maybe dodge should get rid of the ABS, airbags, power steering, power brakes, electric windows, AC and all of the other "manly" amenities to save more weight. Guess only the Gen 1 guys are real men .....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racelogic makes a system for the Viper, installed by one of the more prominent Viper dealers, and used by some prominent Viper race drivers, that doesn't seem to be "too expensive" or "add too much weight" as many have indicated. Fully adjustable system that seems to work. Why it makes sense to not take advantage of new technology for those unexpected circumstances when the Viper gets a little squirrly is beyond me?

Maybe dodge should get rid of the ABS, airbags, power steering, power brakes, electric windows, AC and all of the other "manly" amenities to save more weight. Guess only the Gen 1 guys are real men .....

Yes... racelogic makes a fabulous unit... buy it for yourself and shaddap already. Don't push it on people that don't want it on a platform that was designed NOT to have it. A penny more than I want out of R&D is a penny too much. Less weight, more power... that's where the the money goes... not nannycrap. Simple right? Buy your own, or get a vette. It's a fabulous car too. :rolleyes:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly I'm very surprised we as a human race have managed to survive without traction/stability control. Yes the cars are more powerful and much faster but the suspension and brakes are also 100 times better than they were too.

I personally can't stand the nannies taking control in my other SRT vehicles - it really screws up your ability to plan anything or react to anything as one normally would in specific situations. ABS is even questionable, as it removes almost all brake feel and gives no warning when it engages. For the track or aggressive "closed circuit" driving it *****. For normal street driving I think it's a good thing. Wish there was an on/off switch (not a fuse) for it. Also a master on/off switch for the air bags as well. On my ACR if I go off track and tag something, I'll be in the harness & Hans and the airbag will not provide any protection - just do more damage (to the car) than good (to me) in that case. For an "ACR" which was specifically designed to be a weekend racer I think it should be an option - "track mode" or "street mode" which would disable/enable the ABS & air bags.

As for the Gen1 guys being the only real men....na, it's more a compilation of 2 main types of folks:
1) Entry level Viper owners forced to the Gen1 due to financial related items.
2) Old school muscle car/sports car lovers that need/want that authentic man & machine experience - possibly more the man vs machine power struggle. I personally prefer this arrangement with my Gen1. I carry tools, I expect to break down due to some 15 cent part. I know the Gen1 is ready to kill me & holding a sharpened ax over my head. Kind of like riding a 3yr old mustang that has 60 days on him - you just never know if he's gonna snap on you.

For the Gen4:
I love the confidence inspiring handling and performance along with the forgiving nature of the suspension should I make a mistake (which I frequently do) on the track driving on the "edge". It's almost a peaceful calm I have on the track strictly worrying about my line, consistency and what I'm doing - all the while knowing the car will take care of me. In the Gen1, it's more of a "I know I shouldn't be doing this" feeling pretty much all of the time.

But that is just my amateur opinion.

If I wanted the latest in nannies to supplement my skill level or to compensate for the daily driver scenarios that pop up I'd have bought the ZR1.

Think about cell phones instead of nannies for a moment:
We all grew up without them. We all survived and lived well w/o them. Now we'd rather cough up a ******** than our cell phone. I really think we are dumbing ourselves down and eliminating the use for our brains - fundamental items like planning, effective communication & reliance. But by all means, PLEASE keep doing it (relating to cell phones) - you are paying for my Vipers! Although I want to be evolutionarily elevated from the rest I must admit I am NOT - I won't let my kids out of my sight w/o a cell phone. Guess I'm dependent too....

Please, please, please car gods, please don't make me dependent on nannies too! We only use 10% of our grey matter, I probably am down to 7% utilization by now.

I know this is a burdensome repeating question asked almost weekly. However I don't mind commenting on it over and over. I know the SRT folks read this forum - maybe this will keep nannies out of our Vipers.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly I'm very surprised we as a human race have managed to survive without traction/stability control. Yes the cars are more powerful and much faster but the suspension and brakes are also 100 times better than they were too.

I personally can't stand the nannies taking control in my other SRT vehicles - it really screws up your ability to plan anything or react to anything as one normally would in specific situations. ABS is even questionable, as it removes almost all brake feel and gives no warning when it engages. For the track or aggressive "closed circuit" driving it *****. For normal street driving I think it's a good thing. Wish there was an on/off switch (not a fuse) for it. Also a master on/off switch for the air bags as well. On my ACR if I go off track and tag something, I'll be in the harness & Hans and the airbag will not provide any protection - just do more damage (to the car) than good (to me) in that case. For an "ACR" which was specifically designed to be a weekend racer I think it should be an option - "track mode" or "street mode" which would disable/enable the ABS & air bags.

As for the Gen1 guys being the only real men....na, it's more a compilation of 2 main types of folks:
1) Entry level Viper owners forced to the Gen1 due to financial related items.
2) Old school muscle car/sports car lovers that need/want that authentic man & machine experience - possibly more the man vs machine power struggle. I personally prefer this arrangement with my Gen1. I carry tools, I expect to break down due to some 15 cent part. I know the Gen1 is ready to kill me & holding a sharpened ax over my head. Kind of like riding a 3yr old mustang that has 60 days on him - you just never know if he's gonna snap on you.

For the Gen4:
I love the confidence inspiring handling and performance along with the forgiving nature of the suspension should I make a mistake (which I frequently do) on the track driving on the "edge". It's almost a peaceful calm I have on the track strictly worrying about my line, consistency and what I'm doing - all the while knowing the car will take care of me. In the Gen1, it's more of a "I know I shouldn't be doing this" feeling pretty much all of the time.

But that is just my amateur opinion.

If I wanted the latest in nannies to supplement my skill level or to compensate for the daily driver scenarios that pop up I'd have bought the ZR1.

Think about cell phones instead of nannies for a moment:
We all grew up without them. We all survived and lived well w/o them. Now we'd rather cough up a ******** than our cell phone. I really think we are dumbing ourselves down and eliminating the use for our brains - fundamental items like planning, effective communication & reliance. But by all means, PLEASE keep doing it (relating to cell phones) - you are paying for my Vipers! Although I want to be evolutionarily elevated from the rest I must admit I am NOT - I won't let my kids out of my sight w/o a cell phone. Guess I'm dependent too....

Please, please, please car gods, please don't make me dependent on nannies too! We only use 10% of our grey matter, I probably am down to 7% utilization by now.

I know this is a burdensome repeating question asked almost weekly. However I don't mind commenting on it over and over. I know the SRT folks read this forum - maybe this will keep nannies out of our Vipers.
Great post... I remember being more eloquent in my earlier days, but after 5 years of this drivel, I'm left with "shaddap". Chuck's been here longer... he just grunts now. :lmao:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you - give me another 4 years and I'll probably be right there with you!:D

Great post... I remember being more eloquent in my earlier days, but after 5 years of this drivel, I'm left with "shaddap". Chuck's been here longer... he just grunts now. :lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is encouraging. Just a few years ago there would be a lively discussion between a number of nannies and the real drivers. Judging by this thread we've successfully chased the girlie men away. Now if we can keep the government out of our Vipers...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R