Why Replace a Gen 3 Exhaust

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have never seen the pile of writhing snakes on the bottom side of a Gen 3, check it out.

So do ya think the new cat-back might be a little more efficient??? :):):)

You must be registered for see images

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why that is the first upgrade most do. The heat is noticably less without the crossover stock exhaust

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For those who have never seen the pile of writhing snakes on the bottom side of a Gen 3, check it out.

So do ya think the new cat-back might be a little more efficient??? ....

a CORSA will:

-Save 24 lbs
-Add 18-22 HP and about 15-18 TQ
-Lower sill temps 135 debress, back half of sills
-Totally eliminate behind-seat heat 03-06
-Sound great!

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cat-back I put on is the Borla. I've had good experience with Borla on the '03 350Z, and they didn't let me down with the cat-back for the Viper. Good quality and good mellow growl.

Here's a short audio of the Borla cat-back on an '06 SRT-10.

Viper - Borla Cat-Back- Video

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... It took me less than a month to start taking the Viper apart -- I thought I showed remarkable restraint waiting that long. :):):)

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First mod to my Viper when i bought it was Corsa Track.

Sawzall'ed that **** right out and tossed it in the trash.

Corsa (or any replacement) for much better than stock hardware.

Funny thing is I did the install myself.

Had the side panels off the car like 10 times to make sure it was right and fitted/lined up.

I then looked up the replacement cost of the sidepanels and almost passed out (in the event I borked them when putting the pipes on) :lmao:

Luckily, nothing was borked and the car sounds great (and heat problem is gone)
:drive:

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust DIY is pretty easy. Taking the OEM exhaust off is the time consuming part, presuming you disassemble it rather than sawing it off. The two clamp nuts facing up on the H-pipe section require a little ingenuity, but not too hard (I've done ones a lot tougher).

On the side panels, the only tough one is the top front nut, but you can get an open end in there, and since it's slotted, you only really need to get about one turn on the nut. Other than that it's very easy to remove the side panels.

The trick I did for the front nut on re-install is to support the back end of the side panel on a cardboard box -- side panel angled out. Then finger tighten the front nut and use it as a "hinge" to swing the panel into place. Works like a champ.

I guess I ought to start doing my DIY "how to" guides for the Viper -- the guides I did for the 350Z are pretty popular. The Viper is really a piece of cake by comparison to the 350. :)

Yep, guys, if a 60 year-old granny can do it, y'all can do it! :):):)

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The corsa is great but you will crave more sound and bark after a while, so if you plan a change i would recommend high flow cats also. The sound is perfect... I purchased HF cats from Roe with the flex pipe built in.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Corsa but, hated the High flow cats. Two reasons way to loud, Secondly Weak welds on the high flow cats.
Headers and testpipes will be quite a bit louder -- I imagine the testpipes ought to have a resonator to mellow out the tone. Random Technology makes good quality high flow cats -- pretty sure they make 'em for the Viper. I've used 'em on the '03 350.

Viper rolls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet - it's a little quiet for me just cruzing around. Such an amazing car that is so quiet at idle and in normal driving. I like to hear a bit more.

DBs are a little louder all around with the cat-backs. Nothing really excessive, but loud enough to make folks notice the "bad asp" Viper. :)

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, guys, if a 60 year-old granny can do it, y'all can do it! :):):)

LOL Tere! You are far from the normal 60 year old, granny or grandpa! :D (that is a compliment!)

p.s. - what did the cat back set you back, I think you just made my Slate car jealous! :)

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked it up for about $850 with free shipping -- borlaparts.com

Delivered to my doorstep 3 days after I ordered it. :)

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked it up for about $850 with free shipping -- borlaparts.com

Delivered to my doorstep 3 days after I ordered it. :)

Ahhh, I love the Viper tax, $850 for 2 mufflers, a little pipe, hangers, and a chrome tip... LOL! :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you, Tere! That was what I mentioned to you when you first posted you bought a GenIII, that the crossover exhaust is a "WORK OF ART", it truly is...but it's the first thing to go. We went with the Corsa Track Cat-Back, we can't go cat-less here, plus B&B Stepped Headers and hi-flo cats.
The sound was enough to shake the whole house when starting it up...this was our '05. GOOD work there, Tere! YESSSSS on your own DIY threads~!! YOU GO GIRL~~~! ~juli

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh, I love the Viper tax, $850 for 2 mufflers, a little pipe, hangers, and a chrome tip... LOL! :D
LOL... Viper "tax" -- you got that right! A Borla full dual for the 350 from the cats to the back end was only $500 (almost 6 years ago).

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you, Tere! That was what I mentioned to you when you first posted you bought a GenIII, that the crossover exhaust is a "WORK OF ART", it truly is...but it's the first thing to go. We went with the Corsa Track Cat-Back, we can't go cat-less here, plus B&B Stepped Headers and hi-flo cats.
The sound was enough to shake the whole house when starting it up...this was our '05. GOOD work there, Tere! YESSSSS on your own DIY threads~!! YOU GO GIRL~~~! ~juli
I'll be hanging that "work of art" on my garage wall! I guess we could title it "Mating snakes"! LOL...

I'll get my camera out for a DIY "how to" on headers and high flows/test pipes. :)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be hanging that "work of art" on my garage wall! I guess we could title it "Mating snakes"! LOL...
I'll get my camera out for a DIY "how to" on headers and high flows/test pipes. :)

"Mating Snakes" --- I LOVE IT~! AND that's what it surely looks like! All that twisting and turning~! It'd look great as 'art' on the garage wall. GOOD for you for pursuing a DIY on the headers and HF cats! :2tu: You rock, girl! ~juli
Happy New Year from the land of blizzards today---10 degrees and falling, 9" of snow.
Oh, don't we LOVE WINTER................:mad:................not! lol...but yeah, we know what we're in for when you live here. :( ENJOY! MY happiness comes from knowing YOU people out THERE can DRIVE :drive::drive: the cars!!! ENJOY~!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, I thought the mopar cat back was made by Borla, I wonder if its the same one they sell?:dunno:
I know the mopar cat back is cheaper.:cool:
Oh ya, and its -31 degrees here!

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you compare the Mopar cat-back to the Borla, you'll see the Mopar tip angles at about 45 degrees. The Borla tip is round rather than oval and the edges of the tip are rolled -- it doesn't look like a piece of sawed off pipe. I like it because it gives it a more finished look than the sawed off stock pipes that acually have pretty rough edges.

I'll shoot another photo tomorrow of how the tips look when they're installed.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Borla cat-back tips installed...

You must be registered for see images

And I can attest that it's no longer a sauna in the cabin! The stock exhaust heat would not be a nice thing in south Texas in the summer!

Last edited: