Will the RB1 and/or RB4 NAV head units work in an 05 viper?

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like they would work, but not sure if both would go right in without any issues.
Also are there any wiring harnesses or extra goodies needed to make them work?

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They go right in. My '05 has the RB1 which I think is a better unit than the RB4. (I could be wrong on this, check them both out & decide)

The install is simply plug & play, not issues at all.

The antenna can be placed anywhere inside the dash, mine is stuck to the top of the radio. As the body is composite it doesn't affect the signal like a steel bodied car does.

You don't need a wiring harness, it uses the same connector as the original radio, & works perfectly.

By the way, Chrysler also makes an Ipod adapter that works well with this combination. Installation is once again plug & play, but you will need to devise a location for the plug. Most of us have used the center console pocket for the Ipod placement, simply route the wires around the shifter, drill a hole in the plastic for the cable (this is inside the storage compartment so it doesn't show, and there is a grommet so it looks like it came that way from the factory), and it works like a charm. Even shows the selections, artists etc. on the RB1, and all the controls are through the RB1.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the whole setup...

9384DSC04194.JPG

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you buy a RB1 , do you have to get anything for the Sat radio. Or does the radio come with all the accessories/hardware, antenna etc?
Thanks

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RB1 and RB4 do not come with the satellite radio hardware.

RB1 you can't play CD's while using the nav....RB4 you can.
RB1 lets you control your Ipod with the proper hardware...RB4 you can't
RB1 gives you mapped navigation...RB4 uses arrows.
RB1 is more money....RB4 is less money

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I have the Mopar Ipod connector for my RB1 and would highly recommend it if you plan on getting the RB1. Also make sure you check out ebay for the RB1. You can usually find new, unopened RB1s going for 600-800. I got mine for $700.

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell me more about this RB1...is it a fully integrated NAV/stereo system for the '06 Viper? This item is new to me, so any link or info you could provide would be great. The interior pic included a few posts up looks great. Thanks in advance for any info.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RB1 is just that - a fully intergrated NAV/Stereo system from dodge (Alpine) that is a direct replacement of the stock stereo and worlds better.

The NAV features are great and the large screen looks awesome. the stereo now looks like a stereo that should be in a $88,000 car. Sound seems to be a bit improved also. I opted for the intergrated ipod connection which works the ipod completely through the stereo. Everything you see in the ipod is found on the RB1 screen. The controls work similar to the ipod as you can search and play artists, playlists, albums, songs etc.

Together it is the perfect system for the Viper without having to modify much of anything besides drilling a hole or two. I actually did the install myself which was pretty straight forward.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RB1 and RB4 do not come with the satellite radio hardware.

RB1 you can't play CD's while using the nav....RB4 you can.
RB1 lets you control your Ipod with the proper hardware...RB4 you can't
RB1 gives you mapped navigation...RB4 uses arrows.
RB1 is more money....RB4 is less money

Also, RB4 is made by Harmon Kardon, RB1 is made by Alpine (same as stock unit). I got the RB4 and I think it sounds better (and looks better too).

OP
OP
B

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After doing a little research it seems you get a few more watts and a bigger screen on the RB4, but it looks like the NAV map dosent look as good as the RB1

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, the screen is smaller on the RB4, and the RB1 does give you a bigger/better map ... I just likd the shape & layout of the RB4 head unit more that the more square RB1 ... it's purely subjective

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy lists the differences of both units on THIS PAGE

In the Viper, a low level signal is sent to an external amplifier....so the fact that the built in amp in the RB4 puts out more power doesn't really mater.

I went with the RB4 to be able to listen to CD's while using the nav....didn't notice a difference in sound quality.

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read thru the link someone provided...Mr. CD and now understand a little about what is going on. Both units seem pretty nice, but I prefer the mapped nav of the RG1 to the "arrows" of the RB4. Seems like all is straight plug n' play if you don't have sat radio. Does the '06 Viper have sat radio standard? The power output of the RB1 seems made for four speakers. Doesn't the new Viper have more, including a sub?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that your second question is outside the scope of this thread. Folks with pricing info may look past the topic and not read further.

Your best bet is to call the big four for a coupe

Woodhouse
Tator's
Roanoke
Ringgold

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess unless the NAV system gives you the entry angles, departure angles, potential speeds you should be running at, the unknown hill coming up over the crest and your placement when at the track, it is pretty much useless in a Viper IMHO.

Like the haggerty commercials; "to the car guy" getting lost is 1/2 the fun.

Rick

PS Say I entered my VCA # now that I finally received it after all this time. Someone want to upgrade my status?

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get the Mopar OEM CD Changer, you can have the RB1 in NAV mode and listen to a CD from the CD changer. You can also listen to Sat Rad or Terrestrial Rad while in Nav mode too.

...or if you don't have a turn in 60miles, you can pull the Nav DVD out, listen to a CD for a half hour, then pop the Nav DVD back in. It resumes your trip.

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get the Mopar OEM CD Changer, you can have the RB1 in NAV mode and listen to a CD from the CD changer. You can also listen to Sat Rad or Terrestrial Rad while in Nav mode too.

It was my understanding that the Viper hasn't used the Mopar OEM CD changer for quite awhile. Anyone know if the '06 coupe is already prewired for it? Didn't the CD changer stop when the factory radio upgraded to the 6-disc in dash?

Also, how much power do you lose when you give up the 350 watt OEM unit (isn't the RB1 only 1xx watts)? And since the RB1 is designed for an output to four speakers, how does it work with the new Viper's multi-speaker system (w/subwoofer)? I'm not an electronics guy so don't know how all these things work.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RB1 and RB4 are both plug and play. The SRT-10 is NOT pre-wired for CD changer in trunk. I wired mine myself -- had to drill hole in trunk behind carpet (but be very careful around fuel tank). Also, must use a newer MOPAR changer -- older models have very slight difference in voltage, and will stop playing after about 8 seconds. (ask me how I know)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Personally, if you are computer-literate(I hope? you are on-line! lol), an iPod controller is the ONLY way to go. It can store EVERY song you own depending on iPod size, its cheaper, it displays song info on the screen, and you can even SEARCH by song, artists, genre, and playlist!

Best of all, IT DOESNT SKIP- EVER!

I am sure Nader and some others can comment on just how awesome the setup is.

OP
OP
B

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would imagine you should be able to hook up one of those cigarette lighter FM transmitters to an MP3 player, and at the same time have the GPS running.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan is right on the mark. Why hook up a 6 CD changer when you can every CD in your collection at your fingertips? I actually bought another ipod just to keep in my car. I just take it out to update it once in a while. I did the install which took a few hours.

Go with the RB1 and the ipod intergration setup...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would imagine you should be able to hook up one of those cigarette lighter FM transmitters to an MP3 player, and at the same time have the GPS running.

Why would you go that route when you can have complete control and display of the information right on your headunit? The iPod controller acts as "satellite radio", and can be played and controlled at the same time as GPS, like a CD changer.

OP
OP
B

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Samsung MP3 player as oppossed to an IPOD, so I don't believe the IPOD controller will work for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960