Will The V Significantly Drop The IV

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know it's all speculation at this point. But I did read that the V design will be "less racecar and more sportscar" and designed to draw a market of folks under 45 - whatever that means. So the less outlandish/aggressive styling will either help or hurt the previous generations. That being said I'm thinking that the low production volumes of SRT-10 might keep values of previous generations solid after the new one arrives.

I am considering a IV but have been wondering if I'd regret it. The new one might also get better gas mileage - not that this is a big concern for me but I sometimes wonder if we're buying/driving dinosaurs as the world gets ever greener. This crossed my mind when I was shopping 928's too - and the SRT10 is even worse.

These are probably just last minute cold feet ramblings as I get closer to pulling the trigger ;)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GEN V is gonna have more curves in it. If it stays anywhere close to what we had seen in SLC. So if you like the look of the GTS Coupes then wait. If you prefer the more angular style of the GEN IV then pull the trigger. However, if you are looking to get a used GEN V you could be waiting a while.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the Gen V's are as bad ass as everyone says it is... so the Gen IV's and ACR's drop in price and I can get another Viper.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming by drop you mean lower the price, the answer is almost certainly no. The Viper is such a low volume production car that there will always be a market for used Vipers that remain steady. If you look at the history of used Vipers over the past almost 20 years now, the depreciation has been consistent from generation to generation despite improvements with each successive design. I bought an 09 precisely because the Gen V will be more sports car and less race car. Others may want to the Gen V for the opposite reason. Bottom line is prices are influenced more by the overall economy than by what the next Gen will bring since all Vipers are desirable.
PAVenomRT/10

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN IV is the last of the drivers car for the Viper. THe GEN V will be more refined with a nicer interior and all the Govt. mandated electronics. I believe that the GEN IV will hold it's own.

Bruce

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are all driving dinosaurs. How cool is that.

Current Vipers get pretty good mileage. Fantastic actually when you consider they produce 600 HP!

If next generation gets direct injection for fuel, then the mileage (and also the cost) will go up a bit.

Nothing that I know of gives the cost effective driving experience of the current Viper.

When the next generation Viper is released the waiting line will be significant. Suspect that the current prices for Vipers will be considered a bargain at that time.

If the next generation viper apeals to a different demographic, then I should not have much of an effect on current Viper prices.

Perhaps a good example is the that price of a 67 427 Vette is not effected much by the current prices of Z06's. (different market)

Go ahead and get your dream viper when you can.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Gen4 prices will come down a bit when the Gen5 comes out. Its simple economics. A large % of the people sitting in Gen4's right now are the ones with the means to purchase a Gen5. My guess is that atleast 25% of Gen4 owners will be considering purchasing a Gen5. Another guess is that 75% of the 1st year Gen5 Vipers will be purchased by current or previous vipers owners.

Viper owners buy Vipers. I dont see this new Gen lurring any "new" costomer base. A Viper is a Viper and it'll always be that way reguardless of what the government mandates or how the car is marketed. If the Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari drivers didnt make a move to the Gen4 then i dont see them making a move to the Gen5.

To the OP. If your considering a Gen5 viper but want a Viper Now, The best financial move currently would be to purchase a Gen2 or 3 Viper Now. Then flip it for a minimal loss or profit in 2 years when your ready for the Gen5. In other words; With how stagnant Gen1/2/3 prices are you can basically drive one for free for a few years if your planning on flipping and upgrading to the Gen5.
Buy a Gen4 now and sell in 2 years expect to loose 10-20grand.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Gen4 prices will come down a bit when the Gen5 comes out. Its simple economics. A large % of the people sitting in Gen4's right now are the ones with the means to purchase a Gen5. My guess is that atleast 25% of Gen4 owners will be considering purchasing a Gen5. Another guess is that 75% of the 1st year Gen5 Vipers will be purchased by current or previous vipers owners.

Viper owners buy Vipers. I dont see this new Gen lurring any "new" costomer base. A Viper is a Viper and it'll always be that way reguardless of what the government mandates or how the car is marketed. If the Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari drivers didnt make a move to the Gen4 then i dont see them making a move to the Gen5.

To the OP. If your considering a Gen5 viper but want a Viper Now, The best financial move currently would be to purchase a Gen2 or 3 Viper Now. Then flip it for a minimal loss or profit in 2 years when your ready for the Gen5. In other words; With how stagnant Gen1/2/3 prices are you can basically drive one for free for a few years if your planning on flipping and upgrading to the Gen5.
Buy a Gen4 now and sell in 2 years expect to loose 10-20grand.

I agree with this sentiment. I also don't understand the mindset of Gen IVs being the last real Viper. Will people not be able to turn the added electronics off such as in most other high end sports cars?

The supply for the fourth Gen has ceased, but as people sell, either to upgrade to a newer model or a different car, the price will take a step down. The trend will not continue however, most specialized cars find a plateau price, just like any used porsche turbo, ferrari, z06, or even GTSs

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That being said I'm thinking that the low production volumes of SRT-10 might keep values of previous generations solid after the new one arrives.

No guarantees with used vehicles that values will stay solid. I've always considered an automobile to be a depreciating asset. A used Viper has not maintained it's value or appreciated in value. It probably never will until they're no longer made and the world has been turned into a bunch of Prius dependent, battery powered sucking babies wishing for the days of old when V10 muscle and gasoline was cool.

If you're going to invest in a Viper, any generation, you're not making a financial investment as it will lose money but you're making a huge investment in driving fun.

I am considering a IV but have been wondering if I'd regret it.

I have yet to meet a GenIV owner who regrets their GenIV. Lots of improvements, lot of fun.

The new one might also get better gas mileage - not that this is a big concern for me but I sometimes wonder if we're buying/driving dinosaurs as the world gets ever greener. This crossed my mind when I was shopping 928's too - and the SRT10 is even worse.

Greener? Gas mileage? Driving dinosaurs?!? NO VIPER FOR YOU! :omg:

The whole point of owning the Viper is the shear brutality, raw power, gas slurping, bringing a tank to a knife-fight experience of it all. Good god man...what are you thinking? Green/Gas Mileage? :crazy2:

Buy a Viper, enjoy it and never look back. :2tu:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
If the Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari drivers didnt make a move to the Gen4 then i dont see them making a move to the Gen5.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this part. The Gen4 is still a drivers car. The Gen5 will have nannies and I think that will appeal to some of the pussyfied drivers of P-cars/F-cars. People that wanted one of the meanest car's ever, but were afraid of them, will be able to buy without fear of lack of driving skills.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know it's all speculation at this point. But I did read that the V design will be "less racecar and more sportscar" and designed to draw a market of folks under 45 - whatever that means. So the less outlandish/aggressive styling will either help or hurt the previous generations. That being said I'm thinking that the low production volumes of SRT-10 might keep values of previous generations solid after the new one arrives.

I am considering a IV but have been wondering if I'd regret it. The new one might also get better gas mileage - not that this is a big concern for me but I sometimes wonder if we're buying/driving dinosaurs as the world gets ever greener. This crossed my mind when I was shopping 928's too - and the SRT10 is even worse.

These are probably just last minute cold feet ramblings as I get closer to pulling the trigger ;)

Everyone under 45 wants the new Viper? Most people think the Viper died long ago. I hardly think anyone under 45 knows about the Gen V. If they didn't buy a **** Gen2 or a mean Gen4 why would they want a Gen5? I can see people over 45 wanting a Gen5 because they need the paddleshifters, heated seats/steering wheel, nannies and wheel chair lift.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN IV is the last of the drivers car for the Viper. THe GEN V will be more refined with a nicer interior and all the Govt. mandated electronics. I believe that the GEN IV will hold it's own.

Bruce

I believe this too

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with this sentiment. I also don't understand the mindset of Gen IVs being the last real Viper. Will people not be able to turn the added electronics off such as in most other high end sports cars?

This mind set is due to the fact that the car is going to have these electronic aids, regardless if you are able to turn them off or not.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this part. The Gen4 is still a drivers car. The Gen5 will have nannies and I think that will appeal to some of the pussyfied drivers of P-cars/F-cars. People that wanted one of the meanest car's ever, but were afraid of them, will be able to buy without fear of lack of driving skills.

Yea, true, sure some of them might be lured in with the fancy government mandated stuff but i'll stick to my stat that 75% of 1st year Gen5 Vipers will be purchased by previous/current Viper owners.

I still have the general fealing that; high-end F/P/L car owners wouldnt be caught dead in an American car
Think about it, Do you know of anyone that tradded in a Ferrari or Lambo for a CHEVY ZR1:)

Sure there is a few rich guys that will buy Whatever the latest & greatest is, but its not the norm. And they will not be here for years to come like many of the VCA oldtimers that i know and love:)

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Think about it, Do you know of anyone that traded in a Ferrari or Lambo for a CHEVY ZR1:)

That made me laugh. Reminds me of our very own #1 nanny proponent and one of Chucks very favorite all time posters....Ferrari to Viper. You must remember him. Went from an F-car to a Gen4 and promptly lost control of his new Viper within about a week of ownership. Did about $50k worth of damage, then came on here and cried about what an "unforgiving car" the Viper is.:rolaugh:

Seriously though, I understand what your saying, but the ZR1 doesn't have the "Wow" factor of a Viper. Even though it's a really good car and like our Viper, spanks 100% of production exotics around the Ring.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, "I think" a good portion of Gen IV owners will want the latest & greatest and will sell off their Gen IVs. As such, prices on Gen IVs should drop.

This change should also drop the prices of Gen IIIs. I would expect current Gen III owners to either want to buy a new Gen V or sell their Gen III to upgrade to a Gen IV. As such, I think the Gen. IIIs will fall into the same steady price range as the Gen I/II.

However, if the Gen V comes out with a $125,000 MSRP...maybe not!

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
As such, I think the Gen. IIIs will fall into the same steady price range as the Gen I/II.

Aren't you the guy that wants a white Mamba or a VOI 9 car for salvage prices or something.:crazy2: I seriously think we have seen the lowest prices for these cars now. Especially the numbered or low build cars.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I'm the guy saying the same thing on the other thread that is being said here. In a short time, Gen III prices will drop and be what "your" calling salvage prices, I call it the same steady price range as the Gen I/II.

Gen IV verts with less than 5K miles with two years left on their warranty are already for sale selling with a $60K "asking price". Go look in the classifieds of this very board! :pile: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/sh...le=heated-garage-kept-with-warranty-21&cat=52

There is also a 2004 with a $36,500 asking price. High miles, but never the less, here's a Gen III within the Gen II/I steady price range. http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=5011&title=2004-srt-10&cat=34

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Actually, I'm the guy saying the same thing on the other thread that is being said here. In a short time, Gen III prices will drop and be what "your" calling salvage prices, I call it the same steady price range as the Gen I/II.

Gen IV verts with less than 5K miles with two years left on their warranty are already up for selling for $60K "asking price". Go look in the classifieds of this very board! :pile: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/sh...le=heated-garage-kept-with-warranty-21&cat=52

Your not following to well. That car is a Venom red vert. I'm talking about special editions and low build cars. I seriously doubt your gonna find a Gen4 vert with the factory aero going for that unless it's a salvage title car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom feeders always waiting for the prices to drop end up the same way.
Without a Viper. They're just never cheap enough.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, "I think" a good portion of Gen IV owners will want the latest & greatest and will sell off their Gen IVs. As such, prices on Gen IVs should drop.

This change should also drop the prices of Gen IIIs. I would expect current Gen III owners to either want to buy a new Gen V or sell their Gen III to upgrade to a Gen IV. As such, I think the Gen. IIIs will fall into the same steady price range as the Gen I/II.

However, if the Gen V comes out with a $125,000 MSRP...maybe not!

The one thing you are overlooking is the modability of the Gen III, and more so the early forged internal GTS cars. That is an important factor for some folks...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubt Gen III Coupes will fall much lower than they are now for a no stories car. Not everyone wants cam in cam, DBW and non supercharge ability.

Gen IV Vipers are best yet but Gen V will make it like a fad that has run its course.

Smoking crack if you believe Gen IV will not fall. 92 RT and GTR cars are the only ones appreciating now.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be one of a few that disagree about some that haven't owned a Viper will buy one because of the electronic nannies and you won't have to have as good driving skills. I also own a ZR1 with all kinds of nannies, and you can still get yourself in trouble fast, not as fast as my ACR of course; but, with 638 HP you can overdrive all that stuff onboard.

Of course, if I had to give up one car I would give up the ZR1, no doubt. Not sure I will be interested in a new Viper when they come out. That will depend upon the looks and whether you still will have that raw power feel when you drive it. I haven't seen any artists drawing that would make me buy one though, too much like European styles.

There is absolutely no doubt which car gets the attention. I can have the ZR1 and the ACR sitting side by side and hardly anyone pays attention to the ZR1. My wife said the two are like your wife and your mistress, referring to the ACR as the mistress. She said that is the one you want to show off - hey, I didn't say this, she did.

OP
OP
E

Evoking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy cow :crazy2: With statements like that is she trying to sanction your having mistesses!

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the new Viper is as diluted as I think it will be (in terms of production numbers of the entire model line) then yes, I think it will help Gen 3/4 values. But if Dodge actually gets it right, which doesn't seem likely given the new Jeep SRT8 and Charger SRT8, then I think it will hurt their values. The Gen 3/4 were grossly overproduced given the market demand. I do expect to see low mile Gen II values creep up.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price change - Gen I steady, Gen II steady to rising, Gen III falling, Gen IV falling.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price change - Gen I steady, Gen II steady to rising, Gen III falling, Gen IV falling.

No kidding.
Older cars that have hit bottom are steady, newer cars that haven't are falling.
Shocking news.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ha, I was in the same boat as you a couple of months back and pulled the trigger on a gen 4 and havent looked back!! So the prices will drop as all makes do when the latest model comes out, nothing new there.. If you like the current gen 4 just go for it and enjoy it as you never know what tomorrow brings:2tu:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/645163-Buy-a-Gen-4-or-Hold-off-for-one-more-year

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang