Window Regulator -GEN 3/4 Archilles Heel

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that one of the issues is the size of the hole that the regulator must fit through during installation. I have fortunately not had this problem yet but was wondering if the hole can be enlarged to allow for easier and safer installation. It is under the interior door panel so it would not be visible if it was enlarged.

Reaction score
So if i order these "new" ones they are a updated replacement?
Because $300-$600 for the same part that will break doesn't make alot of sense to me.

The parts have not been released yet so if you order one now it will be the old style, I cannot tell you when the new generation regulator will actually be out.

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some input from past SRT Engineers' posts:

i) Regarding the Gen III-IV regulators: "A - There was a change made to the window regulator in the middle of the 2009 Model Year to improve the support and durability of the window regulator. It was the same vendor. The production part number for the updated regulator is 04865610-11AF." See post #38 in the following thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...Chat-HERE-on-June-21st!?p=2980245#post2980245

ii) Regarding the Gen V regulators: "1. The Gen V window regulator has been updated with improvements to the cable, cable run, and slides. In addition, we have designed the door to make it easier to install at the plant, reducing the possibility of damage during installation. Also, we added flexibility in adjustment. " See post #104 in the following thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...th-gt-gt-gt-gt-gt-gt-gt?p=3067549#post3067549

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The parts have not been released yet so if you order one now it will be the old style, I cannot tell you when the new generation regulator will actually be out.

Wait. If the parts haven't been released yet. What did I order? Cause my dealership said it came in this morning? Old style with updated part number and lowered price?

Part # 04865610AF

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait. If the parts haven't been released yet. What did I order? Cause my dealership said it came in this morning? Old style with updated part number and lowered price?

Part # 04865610AF
bingo, old style . at least the price is right. better than paying $ 1,200

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the LH side regulator as recieved today from VPA . Part# 04865611AF.

I have a 08 Viper so this part is a upgraded part# for me but not a GenV part
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like the area that normally breaks is now reinforced with a (colored) sleeve.

Last edited:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the LH side regulator as recieved today from VPA . Part# 04865611AF. I have a 08 Viper so this part is a upgraded part# for me but not a GenV part

Maybe the price of the Gen V regulator will come down by the time this one breaks.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also received my Regulator parts today. I haven't seen the old part so I can't compare it to anything. But for those that have, here is the information that is listed on the new part.

Long Plastic Tube: Part# 43-448-1310422-165215
Short Plastic Tube: Part# 1318014-202413
Motor Dated 5.4.2012 #400694B made by Inteva Prods
Part # 04865610AF Date 491228 Assembled in Mexico

Pictures of both sides.

A1998

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see what the problem is with the regulators. they were assembled in MEXICO. LOL

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also received my Regulator parts today. I haven't seen the old part so I can't compare it to anything. But for those that have, here is the information that is listed on the new part.

Long Plastic Tube: Part# 43-448-1310422-165215
Short Plastic Tube: Part# 1318014-202413
Motor Dated 5.4.2012 #400694B made by Inteva Prods
Part # 04865610AF Date 491228 Assembled in Mexico

Pictures of both sides.

A1998

I just got my driver side changed out last night. I included in this reply pictures of the part numbers of the old one.

Long plastic tube - Part# 43-448-0250612-060114
Short plastic tube - Part# 43-448-17?????-??????
Motor dated - 17/09/07 Made in France

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my driver side changed out last night. I included in this reply pictures of the part numbers of the old one.

Long plastic tube - Part# 43-448-0250612-060114
Short plastic tube - Part# 43-448-17?????-??????
Motor dated - 17/09/07 Made in France

So you're saying it surrendered?

I know, I know...bad joke.

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you show pics of where it broke?

Honestly I didn't take any pictures of where it "broke" because there was no signs of it being damaged. Which I thought was really weird. I was looking for broke tubes and/or tubes coming out at the ends. There was no signs. My old regulator when I would go to lower the window, it would go about half way down and then start the clicking noise and would not go any lower. So I just let it be for a few months and never rolled the window down again. Then last night when testing the window again, I rolled the window down about half way and the clicking noise started again and wouldn't go any lower and I had to manually assist the window the go back up. So I went ahead and replaced it. I placed both regulators (new and old) next to each other and they are identical, as it should be.

And also my tech told me that he could tell someone has previously been in the door working on it. So we were thinking that its been replaced before. So thinking about it for a little while I know its been replaced. My car is a 2004. The build date is listed as 2007.

Last edited:

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it looks like I got a new supplier, Inteva instead of Arvin Meritor. Noticed the motor was one part number off 400694B vs 400695B. (Unless the difference is in the left side vs the right side) You would think they could have used something similar to a brake hose that wouldn't break , collapse, and be more flexible than the plastic tube!

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it looks like I got a new supplier, Inteva instead of Arvin Meritor. Noticed the motor was one part number off 400694B vs 400695B. (Unless the difference is in the left side vs the right side) You would think they could have used something similar to a brake hose that wouldn't break , collapse, and be more flexible than the plastic tube!

I was thinlinkg of something similar to a clutch cable housing. It has a nylon core wrapped in a spiral steel to flex, coated in a semi-hard plastic, very similar to bicycle brake wire housing.

franchise

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For our attorney/legal experienced members, if a certain product has excessive failures, ie majority percentage of owners experience its failure, such as 75% of all produced, can't the owners petition the company to force a recall?

Maybe even form a legal suit against the company to force a recall? Even class action?

Just a thought....
R

msaba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the LH side regulator as recieved today from VPA . Part# 04865611AF.

I have a 08 Viper so this part is a upgraded part# for me but not a GenV part

It looks like the area that normally breaks is now reinforced with a (colored) sleeve.

I hate to say it but this looks a lot like the one that busted in my Gen 3. I also had the red sleeve "reinforcements" and the sleeve on one side had chipped and the tubing still separated from the plastic elbow piece. I bought my Gen 3 in 2010 so I'm guessing the prior owner had it replaced with the Gen IV upgraded regulator. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone who has seen an original Gen 3 part can confirm whether it had the sleeves as well.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to say it but this looks a lot like the one that busted in my Gen 3. I also had the red sleeve "reinforcements" and the sleeve on one side had chipped and the tubing still separated from the plastic elbow piece. I bought my Gen 3 in 2010 so I'm guessing the prior owner had it replaced with the Gen IV upgraded regulator. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone who has seen an original Gen 3 part can confirm whether it had the sleeves as well.

I decided to beef-up the joints before installing. I wrapped them with wire then applied epoxy over the wire.
You must be registered for see images

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the regulator is installed, is there enough access to "beef-up" the tubing joints? In other words, can the units now in our cars be saved from what sounds like an eventual certain death? Of course, removing the door panel has its own hazards with the upper trim strips breaking...

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trim breaks on gen 3, gen 4 has beefed up window strips.
Once the regulator is installed, is there enough access to "beef-up" the tubing joints? In other words, can the units now in our cars be saved from what sounds like an eventual certain death? Of course, removing the door panel has its own hazards with the upper trim strips breaking...

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I looked up the companies website and saw that they collaborate with Peugeot, Citroen. That might explain the Made in France tag on the motor. The other thing I found was:

Plastics in Lightweight Vehicles 2012 Conference

Inteva Vice President and Executive Director, Interior Systems Pat Stewart spoke on The Big Picture in Interiors on Wednesday, November 7 at the Plastics in Lightweight Vehicles 2012 Conference.

The two-day conference, organized by Plastic News covered customer requirements and supplier strategies for achieving global fuel economy standards, focusing on the real-world issues of product deliverability, quality and cost for all members of the supply chain.

Lets just hope he believes in what he preaches about product deliverabilty, and QUALITY......

Steve A.

msaba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's a little tight in there but definitely doable. So far the spit and glue fix I did about a year ago (on page 1 of this thread) has held up nicely. I'm sure if you did something like that it would help prevent the separation issue in the first place.

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the hell isn't this recalled? My Viper has 3000 miles and my drivers side regulator has already been replaced once and now my passenger side one is making noise. This is bull****. I'm in for a class action lawsuit.

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been reading about the broken trim part on the top of the door. Mine has been like that since i bought the car, so guessing mine will be on the 3rd regulator when i replace mine this spring. 15k miles on mine. my drivers side has been going out since i've own it.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of epoxy did you use for that?

Just FYI regarding working with epoxy glue, I've found when using the standard 2 part JB weld epoxy, it can be made very runny by heating the material with a heat gun before it starts to set up. I've found I needed to do this when working in cold garages, etc during winter projects. This allows it to flow much easier and fill cracks and crevices. A little heat goes a long way, practice first before you start the project.

Ok, back to the regulator rants.

Cheers,
George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456