ZF-8HP90 Transmission / V-10 Viper Engine

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by JAMES L SAUTER, Aug 15, 2018.

1. JAMES L SAUTER

JAMES L SAUTER Enthusiast

Greetings everyone. My 1st post, so be gentle !!

ZF-8HP90 8-Speed Auto Transmission / V-10 Viper 3rd or 4th Gen Engine
    WILL THEY MOUNT TO EACHOTHER??

viper1.jpg

2. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

You would need a adapter plate that you would have to fabricate your self which is not that hard if you have a Machine shop, Not sure if any company makes one, the next problem is its electronically controlled, you would need to have a stand alone ECU made for a Viper. So my answer is maybe.

3. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

With enough time and money I'm sure it's possible. You could check with Quicktime. They make all sorts of bellhousings and might have something, though I guess they probably deal more with clutch cars than autos as the bellhousing is often part of an automatic transmission.

4. steve e

steve e Viper Owner

Yes money can fix or make anything:D

5. JAMES L SAUTER

Next question....

What mad scientest would know HOW to do this ??

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. MoparMap

I think the biggest issue is just finding the conversion adapter to bolt the two together. That would be the first hurdle. Second would be if there is an independent computer that will control the transmission on its own (vs one that also runs the engine). Lastly would be actually fitting it in the car. I guess maybe that should be first, but if you didn't already have one sitting around I'd want to know I could bolt it up and control it before buying one to test fit. You might be able to get a foam mock-up version of one cheap.

7. JAMES L SAUTER

20180830_160054.jpg Well, I went and bought the engine.. now to see if the ZF is going to work.

8. MICHAEL WILSON

MICHAEL WILSON Enthusiast

I've done quite a few engine swaps mostly LS based but I will tell you this when I went from a standard aod transmission to a more modern 6 l e 90 it cost me more to do that swap than to do the entire engine. You need to think of things like torque converter a stand-alone computer room under that car. Like the guy said before with enough money you can do it but I truly don't think you know what you might be getting yourself into. You should price out a torque converter you might be a little shocked also you have to think of things like with that 8-speed it's like a double overdrive transmission so when you're in 8th gear the car is going to be completely balless you'll have to do something about the gears in that rear end

9. MICHAEL WILSON

I also forgot to mention what about the paddle shifters? There's a company that sells them for a GM but not too sure about that tranny it's pretty new not a lot of aftermarket support

10. MICHAEL WILSON

I think your bellhousing problem would probably be one of the easier things you would go through it's just a hunk of metal you could have that fabricated it would cost you a lot but I'm sure it could be done

11. MoparMap

I wouldn't worry about the ratios that much. Not sure what the final overdrive on the 8 speed is, but the original overdrive on the Viper 6 speed is 0.5:1. Most of the extra gears in transmissions are between existing ratios to keep the engine closer to the highest efficiency point. The Viper isn't exactly a rocket in 6th, but the engine has no problem pulling the car along at low rpm either.

12. JAMES L SAUTER

After a little more research it looks like the stock Nag1 transmission will hold up to the V10, and no crazy wiring/computer issues

13. MICHAEL WILSON

That is a very wise decision you could have easily doubled the the cost of the swap if you stayed with the 8-speed. I was seriously thinking about putting a Gen 4 V10 in my BMW Z3 coupe

Bonkers likes this.
  14. JETSTAR

JETSTAR Enthusiast

I have looked at this several times and the problem you will run into is the the depth of the transmission oil pan.
    If you take the center of the crankshaft and measure to the bottom of the engine oil pan then measure the center of the transmission to the bottom of the transmission oil pan.
    You will find the transmission oil pan is about 3" lower or more.
    The Viper doesn't have the room.
    The rear mount Trans like the Vette is the best option but that's a whole new level of fabrication
    It can be done but not easily.

15. MoparMap

So maybe this is a super dumb question and probably even more money involved, but is there such a thing as a "dry sump" automatic? Seems like it would be possible to do, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of it being done. Would be an interesting way to address the low ground clearance issue, assuming you can find a spot for the fluid tank.

16. JETSTAR

JETSTAR Enthusiast

Automatic transmissions by nature have pans, fluid from the clutch packs and drums drain from top to bottom . The valve body is even well below the centerline. It has been done in the past but always with major modifications.
    I may revisit it again when I have some free time.