04 clutch linkage problem

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I was out cruising through the parking lot after leaving Lowes the other day and pressed the clutch in to go over the next #&($*% speed bump when much to my suprise the clutch pedal stayed on the floor :omg: I looked around for a good parking space, navigated it to a stop and killed the engine. Took a look under the dash and found the clutch linkage had fallen off of the pedal assembly. It seems of all places to save weight Dodge chose the clutch linkage to use a plastic clip to hold the two very important parts together. Nothing like having over 500 hp on tap with no clutch. Walked back to Lowes and found a small wire hose clamp that allowed me to fix and limp home. I would highly suggest taking a look at your linkage and ensure all is well. To install new part, insert clip into linkage first and then snap onto pedal stud. If you put the clip on the stud first it will create an additional 20 minutes of work trying to get it back off while hanging upside down under the dash in the very spacious footwell.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sometimes this pops off if you hit it with your shoe. Try the metal clip used for the 1996 GTS.

OP
OP
L

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think the metal clip will work. The problem is the plastic clip holds the two pieces together also isolates the two metal connections. Without the plastic clip there would be too much gap between the linkage connection and the pedal stud. This would cause a sloppy connection and wear between the two metal parts. They should have used a more positive system with the metal pedal stud connecting to a brass bearing pressed into the linkage and some "good old" grease.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other manufacturers use the stupid plastic retainer as well.
Ford in particular. I have seen many more failures on those than any other make.

OP
OP
L

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my 04 has about 35K miles on it for reference. The old clip showed signs of distortion and wear so it was probably "hanging on by a thread" for a while before falling off.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
F.Y.I........ This same exact clip (and linkage design) has been used on every Viper generation prior to the Gen V. I had this issue on my '96 RT/10 fifteen years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave