08 Vipers sales seem to be slow....

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me the new 2008 is not exactly nocking the doors down on sales. Theere are 8 2008's on Ebay and most dealers have one or two on the showroom floor. I know that does not seem like much but with the low production numbers of the Viper the numbers are significant.

Maybe it was just bad timing with the economy and markets? I know some people were talking about paying over sticker before they came out....that sure went away fast.

What do you think?:confused:

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that January is a terrible time to be trying to sell a sports car. We'll see how things heat up when the weather gets warmer and people actually get to see them on the road.

Ditto on the Yellow.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car business is down all over. Every Viper owner who has driven my '08 wants one. Do not fear for Viper sales. They just won't go above MSRP in today's economy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the timing *****. With the economy in the toilet right many people are rethinking their discretionary spending. I'd love to pull the trigger on an '08 but I need that capital for something else right now. I just hope that when the time comes whereby I can pull the trigger, the Viper will still be in production.

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that if my red ACR were built, I'd be lowering Woodhouses inventory right now! ;)

Heeeeeeey, maybe that's it... They should move Classic Red to the front of the remaining production schedule; so that the 1st quarter sales would be AWESOME!! I'm glad you thought of that :D

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that most are solid color cars (no striped ones) wonder if that is making a difference?

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking at one right now at Invoice. I would not blame the slow economy. There are bidding wars over sticker and long lists for the ZR1 and GTR.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Towbin Dodge in Nevada wants $108k for a solid blue coupe with slate/black interior, and $110k for a silver stripe/GTS blue coupe. Of course I think this is some celebrity Dodge dealership from their website. I was getting real close to pulling the trigger with Bill P on an 08, just something didn't go as planned today. Looks like I may have to wait one week to find out. I don't know that there are that many GTS Blue's at dealers, but Towbin might be sitting on those coupes for a while.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think alot of people who want the 08 viper are current viper owners who are having a hard time selling there pre 08 viper to get the 08 viper.

Also, those on the bench between the ZR1 and the 08 viper are waiting until the ZR1 hits show room floors.

Not to mention people are still recovering from the holiday season...and the economy *****.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, and I hate to come off as a nay-sayer on the 08s, but you know who the 08's REALLY appeal to???? Current Viper owners. People who can appeciate the bettering of the bread, and how the 08 is certainly the high water mark for performance and all out race-car made for the street of all the Vipers.

The problem is to attract NEW customers, they needed to change the car completely on the outside, because effectively the outside looks the same as the 03-06's. So if that 'design' was failing to meet market excitement, how did they think the same look and design would do it again, short of adding more HP??

The Viper is an emotional decision based on looks, feel, and rawness... I have no problem admitting the 08 is a better viper then my 06 (stock). But it looks the same. Where as the GTR is ALL new.. so you get to be the NEW kid on the block with that look, not a 08, who's LOOK is 5 years OLD. And the ZR1, while some feel looks RICEY, it ISSSS a far more flamboyant look then its base box, or z06 counterpart. Even still I think the zr1, short of attracting Bow-Tie Die Hards, would also have struggles when it came out, if its only change was a hood and more power.

New 'looking' sells. Most people spending this kind of bank want NEW LOOK AND FAST.

Thats my 2 cents. And its not to slight the 08s. Its human nature... we want all the fastness but also want the newness/stand-out when we are interested in buying NEW models of things.

Jon

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new colors provide all the new look that the Viper needs. The ACR has certainly received praise for its appearance. The economy is stumbling, the ZR1 is threatening and it is winter time.

I can't believe that you think the ZR1 did a good job in the visual department. It looks like a Z06 but has that ugly, ridiculous window in the hood.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new colors provide all the new look that the Viper needs. The ACR has certainly received praise for its appearance. The economy is stumbling, the ZR1 is threatening and it is winter time.

I can't believe that you think the ZR1 did a good job in the visual department. It looks like a Z06 but has that ugly, ridiculous window in the hood.

Said more flamboyant.. and also denoted some feel its Ricey... the point is.. its certainly different with its wheels, air scoops, Rotors/Calipers, hood, etc... I certainly didnt say I think they did a GOOD job in making it LOOK GOOD.. I think they did a smarter thing in making it STAND APPART from its other models... you wouldnt confuse it for a base vette anymore, much like you used to with the z06.

Jon

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have a VERY nice 06, and with the uncertain economy, its hard for me to cough up 30k to get an 08.
i agree that it seems sales are a bit slow. i think once the die hards get theirs, and the pre orders are satisfied, sales will slow more.

right now, as someone pointed out, the whole market is down. if u have been keeping track of what 06s have been selling for, they have fallen big time in the last few months.
i hope it picks up because that might make my decision easier.

right now i think maybe its best to wait...right now every dealer ive spoken to are selling at list and for what they wanna give me for my 06 i might as well donate it to the church.
if i could get one at invoice or 4k under sticker and get something fair for my trade, id probably bite...but for now, for my situation, i think ill wait and see what happens.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a shame that so many buyers with money spend it on euro cars... i've spent time on lambopower,ferrari chat and bmw boards and the image of the viper is crappy interior , uncomfortable, doesn't handle well in the corners, un reliable, and so on....
if u go to any auto website the viper does not score well , For instance on msn autos(i know i know) on the 08 viper

"The Viper coupe and convertible feature a V10 engine with explosive acceleration. The noise from the V10 engine was loud and not quite invigorating, and the clutch is heavy. Handling was capable but lacked finesse." - i wonder if they drive these cars and i get tired of the ***** bull**** stereotyping

ON the other hand a car like the R8 gets rave reviews...

R8s are selling for 40k+ over sticker, U can't buy a used f430 for less than 220k no matter how many miles...i've also been looking at low mileage gallardo spyders over the last 6 months and prices on those have dropped slightly....

The general consensus amongst people that can pay cash for these cars are that the USA only builds decent hamburgers:drive:

Last edited:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Folks, it's the ACR raffle that is causing slow sales ... who is going to buy an '08 when they know they will win an ACR in the raffle? :smirk:

Actually, I think the idea that every dealer now has 1 or 2 in the showroom is a bit overstated. My dealer has none. And the 3 he has ordered are all pre-sold (including mine).

It would juice things a bit though if we could get pics of more cars in some of the other '08 colors that are due to be out soon ...

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, your earlier comments are good. I've been driving my '08 and it isn't pulling any extra attention. I don't mind because that's not why I bought it, but it isn't the newest look. And yes, I've heard "Nice Corvette."

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a shame that so many buyers with money spend it on euro cars... i've spent time on lambopower,ferrari chat and bmw boards and the image of the viper is crappy interior , uncomfortable, doesn't handle well in the corners, un reliable, and so on....
if u go to any auto website the viper does not score well , For instance on msn autos(i know i know)

"The Viper coupe and convertible feature a V10 engine with explosive acceleration. The noise from the V10 engine was loud and not quite invigorating, and the clutch is heavy. Handling was capable but lacked finesse." - i wonder if they drive these cars and i get tired of the ***** bull**** stereotyping

The general consensus amongst people that can pay cash for these cars are that the USA only builds decent hamburgers:drive:

It's simply that euro inferiority complex rearing its ugly head. Lets face it; euro cars are rubbish. Mercedes cars are among the least reliable cars available. BMW is average and a design nightmare to work on. Ferraris lack torque and are not reliable. Lambos are notorious for falling apart. The Viper is a simple, effective design made american style (big and powerful) and nothing ****** euro trash off more than to get whipped by american simplicity.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if u go to any auto website the viper does not score well , For instance on msn autos(i know i know) on the 08 viper

R8s are selling for 40k+ over sticker, U can't buy a used f430 for less than 220k no matter how many miles...i've also been looking at low mileage gallardo spyders over the last 6 months and prices on those have dropped slightly....

i think the reputation of the gen 1 is still in ppls minds...they all think vipers still cant turn or stop.

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's simply that euro inferiority complex rearing its ugly head. Lets face it; euro cars are rubbish. Mercedes cars are among the least reliable cars available. BMW is average and a design nightmare to work on. Ferraris lack torque and are not reliable. Lambos are notorious for falling apart. The Viper is a simple, effective design made american style (big and powerful) and nothing ****** euro trash off more than to get whipped by american simplicity.

U gotta stay real here, ferraris do not lack torque,gallardos(don't know much bout murcis) are pretty reliable other than the clutch......

Remember the post a while back with an individual that had a beautiful large garage with a turntable .. it was filled with chrysler products...viper...prowlers etc....Well that post made it to the bmw board and all those owners just basically made fun of his taste of cars....:(

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better check on Tobins site for problems---seems they've had plenty. Just a warning. I did meet "chop" at SEMA--cool guy. John

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time out for a minute. I think Chris Marshall on this or another post pointed out that as far as Chrysler is concerned, all of the 2008s are presold. One can do the math on the start of production, end date of production and number of cars produced and I am sure it is around 1200 cars total! I know they were north of 1000 months ago. The 2008s on ebay are dealer cars and also are presold and bought by the dealers. So what is eight cars on ebay got to do with over a 1000 sold cars? Obviously, the viper for 2008 is a financial sucess for Chrysler.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes , but that still doesn't explain why the 08 gets a lot of below average reviews...you will never see a review like that on a F430

Ummm, consider the reviewer. This guy obviously stepped out of the Viper, changed his diaper, and then drove home in his Cadilac Deville. I don't think this guy would have said much better about any sports car.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bargain in the 08 is that you get a much improved Viper, with better handling, +90 horsepower, better tires, rear end, exhaust, slicker shifter, and improved build quality for the same cost as the previous model.

People worrying about the discounts off sticker price might have been happier if Dodge had raised the price $5,000 and then had the dealer knock off $4,000.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 is due to be built soon and is #713 if this says anything.
The first 53 were, I believe, were pilot cars for press & testing. #53 was an hour old when we saw it at the museum when we were there for the Belle Isle event. Not sure how the number system works but this sould give an idea of how many cars were built so far. There are still the next set of colors coming out so there must be a lot of cars ordered and sold. My 2 cents.
GRNBGON

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes , but that still doesn't explain why the 08 gets a lot of below average reviews..

2008 Dodge Viper - Detailed Pricing and Specifications - MSN Autos

you will never see a review like that on a F430

Nobody who is serious about wanting a high performance car goes to Consumer Reports or MSN Autos for an unbiased review.
These guys are fine for comparing a Civic against a Corolla, just don't expect them to understand what a Viper is all about.:smirk:

I think that any slow sales right now are a combination of it being a cold winter, and slow economy.
When the climate and business heats up, so will Viper sales.

The SRT team really did so many things RIGHT with the '08 model!
600HP+, PS2 ties and a revised suspension, new exterior and interior colors, dozens of other drivetrain refinements.
They all add up to a Viper that is truly competitive, and then they are building the ACR model that is even moreso.

I'm waiting for some magazine comparisons that compare the ACR Viper to the Gallardo SL, Ferrari F430 Scuderia, Porsche GT2, and of course the Z06. :2tu:
I hope that at least a couple of the major magazines have the guts to throw the new Viper up against Europe's high performance cars to reveal what a great deal that it is.
I have no doubt that they will still choose the Ferrari as the winner as they always do for status sake (ignoring the cost), but then everyone else can compare how well the Viper performs for FAR less money.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187