09 Viper or Modify Existing One???

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new engine is worth it alone... ssg was the icing for me.
Picked up 2 new '08 Vipers and have a '09 Challenger on order.:2tu:

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new engine is worth it alone... ssg was the icing for me.
Picked up 2 new '08 Vipers and have a '09 Challenger on order.:2tu:

I want to be snakeEye when I grow up.........wait a minute, damn i'm already grown up. :crazy2:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the beginning of your post, you mentioned the ACR. If the ACR is in your financial Ballpark---- Buy It! Not only is it King. You will be exclusive in an exotic crowd of vipers. :2tu:
I to would love a 08, but I enjoy my car too much. 11k miles in first year of ownership. The depreciation on putting those kind of miles per year on a 08-09 would be brutal. :omg:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you buy new you pay a lot of money for taxes (and get nothing in returnfor that). Here the taxes would be 15% plus various 'extra luxury taxes' so I wouldn't buy a new one.

I'd mod the hell out of an old one and end up with a much better perfoming car than the 08. If I had the money ... then I'd buy the 08 and mod the hell out of it = equals better performance.

Ted

Reaction score
You are my idol! :)

When you buy new you pay a lot of money for taxes (and get nothing in returnfor that). Here the taxes would be 15% plus various 'extra luxury taxes' so I wouldn't buy a new one.

I'd mod the hell out of an old one and end up with a much better perfoming car than the 08. If I had the money ... then I'd buy the 08 and mod the hell out of it = equals better performance.

Ted

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Ted.

I used to have a new car every 6 months to a year, Id just trade them in and get a new on. I would lightly mod them. Now lately, the market is changing and cars are taking a huge plunge in value. Since you already lost probably $20k+ on your 05, if you selll, buy a 08 or 09, in 1-2 years you may be out another 20k+.

Id keep the car and throw about $20k into it, Paxton, Quaife rear end, suspension and wheels. You will have a sweet ride with 750 crank hp. It will keep you satisfied for many years. Then in 2-3 years or more, dump it and get a year old car and start over again.

V

Venomiss

Your choice on what you can afford to do.
I'd do both if I could....
Either way we better see a thread with pictures with your final decision.

OP
OP
T

Tom2334

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. This is really a hard decision but I think I know what I am going to do.

The plan is to do some mild mods to the car. Basically everything I posted except the Paxton. While I am doing this I will be calling Woodhouse to get some info on an 09 ACR.

If everything goes as planned and what I have figured out financially I will be able to keep both. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hopefully I will be able to enjoy both of them sometime next year.:drive:

Thanks again for all the info but it was to hard to pick between the two so might as well try to keep both!:2tu:

NOW WHAT COLOR COMBO????? :D

Tom

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear we all could help with your decision:):eater: And I know for sure ***** Da P. can hook you up! Just don't get him of on a tangent about racing or you can right off the rest of your day ;).

Good luck and just call if we can help with any questions.

Thanks for all the info guys. This is really a hard decision but I think I know what I am going to do.

The plan is to do some mild mods to the car. Basically everything I posted except the Paxton. While I am doing this I will be calling Woodhouse to get some info on an 09 ACR.

If everything goes as planned and what I have figured out financially I will be able to keep both. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hopefully I will be able to enjoy both of them sometime next year.:drive:

Thanks again for all the info but it was to hard to pick between the two so might as well try to keep both!:2tu:

Tom

Reaction score
Oh I forgot how about having ***** source you a nice white with black top panels and a red stripe! :omg: that would look freakin awesome.

Well IMO anyways :D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never said keep both, but that was going to be my advice. :)

For me, I got such a good deal on my 06 Coupe new, that I can't bare to think about selling it. I mean I am the only one to drive it and I know exactly what I have. If you have owned your 05 since new, you will also appreciate that. There are a lot of wrecked and less than perfect Vipers out there.

I would like to eventually add an 02 Graphite RT/10 to the mix as well so I have a vert. Two is always better than one. Need the vert for sunny days and coupe for cloudy days.

PS Go for the ACR as I think they are going to be more collectible in the long run. Too bad Saleen did not off their new color "Chromozone". It is silver, but in sunlight it turns Chrome with complete reflection. It is the coolest color I have seen outside of my Extreme Mystic Saleen. 17 colors is hard to beat, but silver to chrome is right up there.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold 5400 mile B/W GTS for a 08 Black Coupe.Much,much better car,you will really like the 08 Viper.I drive it and my C6 Z06 every day.No more cars sitting in the warehouse.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think keeping your car and supercharging or buying an 08 for 80k. Either way you cant go wrong. Supercharging will get you 750 horsepower and you can do it actually for alot cheaper than buying an 08 for 80k and having 600 horsepower but then you have warranty but in 2 years that will only be worth 60k or less. The SSG color makes 08s tempting but any other color I say no.

I always advise buying 2 year old cars to any buyer, great deal at close to half off sometimes, save yourself 30 grand!

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the ACR, it's lots better if you go to the track. I would still drive one even if I didn't go to the track though. It's just an awesome car!

V

Venomiss

Tom

Come to VOI and get some ideas.....
Or if you are a VCA member(didn't know if you were in the process) just enter the raffle and possibly win the 2009 at VOI. Here's an idea for color.

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they stop making Vipers in 2011, prices will begin to rise on all of them, as soon as this is made public. I think that 10 years from now, they'll all be worth more than we paid. So, get exactly what you want now, before they're gone, and keep it.

I'm new to the Club and don't understand the preference for coupes. Yeah, the ACR is cool, but if you want a convertible, buy one. Don't get an ACR just because it will be worth more down the line (which it probably will). Life is short. Get what makes you happy.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
verts have no storage area. GTS has 12 cubic feet. I take my GTS on holidays and have driven 25,000 Viper miles since lst summer. Going to add another 6,000 to Detroit. With a GTS I can bring along the wife, 2 suitcases and still come home with the other 6cf of shopping she'll be doing. That leaves me with another 4 cubic feet for my Viper stuff I'll be buying. I'll eventually add a trailer hitch. When I bought my GTS I stuffed it with exhaust manifolds, header to cat pipes with flex, airbox, rear tire and rim, front tire and rim, smooth tubes, stock coil springs, 4 stock brake rotors, stock intake manifold, 3 rear halfshafts, suitcase, MSD and a lot of misc. extra parts from the Viper.

Having rear low range speakers means no compromise for the stereo.

GTS gets 4mph higher top speed. GTS does not need a rool bar to compete on the track. faster than 11.5 for rollbar at NHRA, vert needs rollbar at 13.0 sec. GTS is structurally stiffer, etc.

Every convertible I've owned was vandalized.

That's a few reasons. Another is that I don't like verts.

Ted

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is cool that you will keep the one and get an 08. I won't have two vipers until I win the 09 raffle. I bought my 08 with options 85 pretax. Sounds like there are much beter deals out there. Goodluck. Pics of the 08 when you get it.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys I have a problem. I am in the middle of figuring out if I should start working on my 05 Commemorative Viper or Order an 09(possibly ACR) and sell this one.

What would you suggest? My list of mods for my 05 would include Corsa/Motons/HRE's/Paxton..

Help........

Tom

I don't think there is a big performance difference between a modded '05 and stock '08. I would contemplate trading it up for a coupe. If you want another convertible, just keep the '05 and mod. The '08 engine and controller is not proven yet(that is my dilemma in my post)

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I'm different than everyone else round here. My vote is to mod your '05. As you said it is reliable. We aren't even close to seeing what kind of problems can be expected in the '08's. If you like the vert, that is just another reason to stay with what you've got.

Adding mod's should not decrease the value of your car. If you decide to sell for less or find yourself in a situation where you "must" sell, you will find yourself regretting the mods. If you happy with the car then why sell it. Personally having the latest model to me means nothing. It nearly shows a personality trait that I'll decline to discuss. That is how I feel, take it for what it is worth. In the end it's your money and your car, do what YOU want.

:usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte