09 Viper or Modify Existing One???

Tom2334

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok guys I have a problem. I am in the middle of figuring out if I should start working on my 05 Commemorative Viper or Order an 09(possibly ACR) and sell this one.

What would you suggest? My list of mods for my 05 would include Corsa/Motons/HRE's/Paxton..

Help........

Tom

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We sold our '05 with mods, bought a 2008 and have roughly the same rwhp as after putting $1,000's of mods into the '05. YOUR own preference...but why not go with a *new* model? AND we are staying STOCK with this '08...just swapping out the air filter/shifter to short-throw-MGW. Snappier throttle in the '08 (guessing same with '09, only change is colors, right?)...better tires. WARRANTY!
Just my .02...as we were in same situation as you, only we had already ADDED the mods, tho no paxton. ~juli

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the new one and keep stock. You will spend a lot on the mods with your current model and may loose reliability with the Paxton plus you might loose value too when selling later.

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys I have a problem. I am in the middle of figuring out if I should start working on my 05 Commemorative Viper or Order an 09(possibly ACR) and sell this one.

What would you suggest? My list of mods for my 05 would include Corsa/Motons/HRE's/Paxton..

Help........

Tom
This is what I consider a NO BRAINER. Purchase the 09 ACR & KEEP IT PRIMARILY STOCK. I SOLD MY 03 VIPER & HAVE AN 08 RED/BLACK ACR ON ORDER THAT I SHOULD RECEIVE IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS.

AL

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went thru the exact same thing (mod my 06 coupe or buy an 08 )I went with the 08 even though i can buy parts (superchargers ect )thru a connection i have with a magazine at a fraction of the price of others.Used low mile 08s with full warrantys can be bought right now for mid to low 70s.Mod an 03-06 and you have to realize you will never get that money back on resale(dealers are giving dead Galves on Viper trade ins right now.Galves doesnot care whether you have a 50 grand twin turbo system or the car is stock -its worth the same in the book.Call around to the large Viper dealers Woodhouse ,Buhler and tell them you have a supercharged 06 with 20 grand in the engine.The will say thats great but not worth any more than stock)besides voiding the existing warranty (very few dealers today will take a chance with their zone rep on say a blown engine ect from a supercharger ).

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have about 12k in mods, no supercharger on an 06 coupe. If I sell now I will have a soar butt after the transaction, at best I'm looking at 60k as a trade in on an 08 selling around sticker. If I keep my car I figure I can sell it in a year or two for about 55k-60k, same as trade in today. The hard depreciation has to settle down at some point,at the rate of 15k depreciation a year, I will have to pay someone 15k to take my coupe in 4 more years. I plan to keep my car,possibly add a roe s/c and get the gen 4 in a year or two when there will be more of them on the market. If money is no object.... always go for more power,newer model with warranty.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have about 12k in mods, no supercharger on an 06 coupe. If I sell now I will have a soar butt after the transaction, at best I'm looking at 60k as a trade in on an 08 selling around sticker. If I keep my car I figure I can sell it in a year or two for about 55k-60k, same as trade in today. The hard depreciation has to settle down at some point,at the rate of 15k depreciation a year, I will have to pay someone 15k to take my coupe in 4 more years. I plan to keep my car,possibly add a roe s/c and get the gen 4 in a year or two when there will be more of them on the market. If money is no object.... always go for more power,newer model with warranty.
Sell it on you own for say 58 grand then buy a used 08 for mid to low 70s

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS Galves trade in on a 06 Coupr 6000 miles is around 52000-53000 right now.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went today and looked and ran numbers, 60k for trade and I keep my wheels/tires and 08 coupe with options(two tone interior,razor wheels,stripe, no nav) for 91k. The smartest thing I can do is sit tight for awhile, I still love my coupe.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was in the same situation with my 06 ,go for the 08-09 .if you want more than 600hp than go with the belanger system and you will be over 550 at the wheels and have reliabilty.i love the 08 i have a friend who owns a 599 gtb and slr and we have played on a private course at 80 to 140 were side by side its just an amazing car and my friend was so surprised he stated he would pull from me by ten car lengths lol

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went today and looked and ran numbers, 60k for trade and I keep my wheels/tires and 08 coupe with options(two tone interior,razor wheels,stripe, no nav) for 91k. The smartest thing I can do is sit tight for awhile, I still love my coupe.
Or they will give you 53 on trade and knock 7gs off sticker.If you sell it on your own you should ger around 58.Either get a used 08 (mid to low 70s )or if you want give Darren Buhler a call at 732-977-7244.He has around 12 2008s in stock right now and will give you a great deal.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry typo Darrens number is 732 544-5515 Bob Biele can also help you.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was in the same situation with my 06 ,go for the 08-09 .if you want more than 600hp than go with the belanger system and you will be over 550 at the wheels and have reliabilty.i love the 08 i have a friend who owns a 599 gtb and slr and we have played on a private course at 80 to 140 were side by side its just an amazing car and my friend was so surprised he stated he would pull from me by ten car lengths lol
Great call.To me also the way to go .Reliability and a warranty.Superchargers are great but you really have to pat attention to make sure you dont you dont run them too hot

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try and sell the 05 yourself(may take a while)...then go with the 09 and there is on reason to pay msrp no matter what the color!!!!!!!!

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
60 k for trade in thats a great # there offering you.06 vipers wholesale at 45-50k tops.basically there giving you 10 k more on a trade in but selling theres at msrp so really your buying the new viper at 81-82k.sounds like a fair deal imo.good luck

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
first of all waiting for an 09 viper could be a whole year, as some 08s arent even out yet especially the acrs. You can get a 08 viper for 80-81k or less, unless its an acr

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going the keeping route. I've got a Gen2, which although the Gen4 looks awesome... it's still no B/W GTS. With that being said, I can easily mod it for tons cheaper than buying a new one with it's depreciation.

Gen2: $50,000
Exterior/Interior Cosmetic mods: $1,500
New Tires/Rims: $6,300
Roe Supercharger w/ Install $11,000

So under $70,000 for a lot better looking and better performance in my eyes.

Yes, there isn't a warranty, and my A/C just went out so that'll be $2,000 right there.... but a lot of **** can go wrong for $20,000. I won't see much of my money back for the S/C, and other mods, but still less than the depreciation of driving a new Viper off the lot.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year i sold my 96 gts 30000.00 miles .Engine had Crower Rods Manley Forged Alum Pistons(blueprinted and balenced ) Crower Cam ,Mopar Street Strip Heads(flower and ported -big valves) Complete Ballanger Exhaust System Perfectpower Dfi, 70 MM throttlebodys, Extrude honed and hand ported intake, K40 front and rear Radar 3.55 rear unitrax halftracks ,Alum radiator ,Studded heads New clutch pp and throwout bearing.Engine was just rebuilt-100 miles.Car ran 11.2 at 132 on Pilots.Over 35000.00 invested (car was in Excellent condition ) in the car .Isold it for 39,000.00 and was lucky to get that. My 08 is just as fast a ton more streetable with a warranty.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps between the purchase price ,mods, repairs (blew it up twice )i easily had 110 grand in a car i was lucky to get 39 for.

Reaction score
Guys,

The truth is you are ALL right. I love to mod up a car for a customer and see that giddiness in his eyes, posts, or Emails. Nothing better in my little world. I do always tell them though as they will tell you, that you should never mod any car unless you are going to enjoy it for the full amount you paid.

I would not say the car is worth less when you trade BUT you will never recoup money on modifications unless you sell it privately to someone that wants what you have created and it is immaculate condition. Keeping records and showing the quality of your baby in places like the forums or events you attend will help keep the value up when you want to move up or on.

The Viper, like most sports "exotic" cars are PASSION vehicles. You all know this, that's why you are here on the site. You want to be a part of something that makes you feel good. This is also why you should mod your Viper if you are moved to and if you like the Viper stock then that's great to. It's not like it HAS to be modified to be revered! :2tu:

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community, I love to come to work each day and night just to listen to the PASSION you all have. It's VERY hard to call my job WORK ;)

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll be the oddball here, and say that I'm tickled with my 06.Got a great deal on it.Beautiful car, and I love it.I've owned it 5 months now and am doing some goodies to it.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
first of all waiting for an 09 viper could be a whole year, as some 08s arent even out yet especially the acrs. You can get a 08 viper for 80-81k or less, unless its an acr

you are correct about '08 pricing - my MSRP was just under $93k and I paid $80k in early July - very satisfied with my purchase - already won first place in the modern car class of a local car show (peoples' choice vote) - I love the car and have not even floored it yet - still in the break-in period at just under 400 miles

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Help........

Tom

Tom,
Check the classifieds under Vipers wanted,there is a person looking for an 05 comm....Kevin

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was in the same predicament. I have a blue/silver '06 coupe and have been thinking of the new SSG but have decided to keep mine and do a repaint, add an '08 hood, 19's and 20's Iforged and a Paxton. By doing all of these mods I will still come out better than trading in. In all honesty, the dealer is there to make money and that is why the lowball is thrown towards a trade-in. Even if I sold to a friend for 60-65, I would still be taking a 36k to 41k hit PLUS tax. I saw for the first time an "08 SSG up close yesterday at a dealership and I had to restrain myself (I'm a little impulsive) but once I got my senses back to calculate I knew I did the right thing. Also, even if I did acquire the '08, in no way is staying stock. There goes more $$$.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte