1st to 2nd shift difficult

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys i've only had my viper for about 3 and a half weeks but i've noticed that the shift from first into second can be a real bear. if i don't really jam on it, the thing won't go into gear. anybody have this problem? anyone know how to fix it?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine shifts fine from first to second. Probably the most fluid shift for me.
I'd look at ur motor/trans mount and/or shifter as the reason for the difficult shift assuming u car was never in an accident causing frame damage.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the skip shift feature is causing your problem. It is a feature on all our cars that can be a real pain in the butt. It is for fuel conservation. If you are not turning more than 1200-1500 rpm's in 1st gear this feature makes it difficult to go into second, it wants you to go into fourth. Hope this helps.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fill out your signature and give people a little information!

Skip Shift is my guess also since you seem to be a :newbie:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy in our local VCA club says he has the same problem on his 08 Coupe with Belanger headers as his only mod.
I questionned him about the skip shift, but he's saying it sometime will not go in any gear at all, high rpm or not,he has to slow down and try again.

OP
OP
B

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry i never responded to the post. i couldn't find it again. i'm used to getting emails about responses but i guess i have to set that up here.

so yeah it does sound like this skip shift thing. i read about it in another post and then i thought i'd find this post again.

how do you disable it? if i have the rpms high enough, the shift is smooth

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the skip shift feature is causing your problem. It is a feature on all our cars that can be a real pain in the butt. It is for fuel conservation. If you are not turning more than 1200-1500 rpm's in 1st gear this feature makes it difficult to go into second, it wants you to go into fourth. Hope this helps.
Difficult? NO, impossible without double clutching or restarting your shift, unless you want to break the solenoid. Can't disable the SS on the Gen IV...it will likely throw codes if you do. Just put more into the pedal...shift it higher and it goes away.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Difficult? NO, impossible without double clutching or restarting your shift, unless you want to break the solenoid. Can't disable the SS on the Gen IV...it will likely throw codes if you do. Just put more into the pedal...shift it higher and it goes away.

Not true...Dodge Motorsports ECU disables it...and you make more power to boot!

Reaction score
The Mopar PCM is great, but for the easy fix just don't try and shift below 1700 rpms. Plus if you do it is so low in the revs it pains me to hear it struggle like that.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i had one on my 08 with no issues,anybody try one on a 09? a skip ship cheater plug that is..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4