2003 Painted Purple in 2003... What does that do to price???

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2003 SRT 10 Viper but it was repainted from Silver to Purple right when the person bought it. Assuming that it was done well (I may drive to look at it to make sure) what would that do to the price of the car? I would imagine it would hurt it quite a bit, but I am not sure??? Any help? Also, the car has 40K miles. Wondering about a fair price...:confused:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To me, it decreases the value...even if repainted in the orginal color. If the paint job is excellent, and done to owner's taste rather than to hide other problems...and IF YOU LIKE IT...proceed once you are SURE that the car has (or had) no other issues. But, considering the bargains out there on LOW mileage, "straight" 03 SRT-10's, you surely do not have to buy THIS car. By the way, if you do buy it, consider a green stripe (s) as that combo has been done before, and works well with purple.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to be a big fan of purple to buy that car, it cost me 7k to paint my car so if you plan on repainting it some other color I suggest you buy something that comes with the color of your liking...unless you like purple of course....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post pictures. If the car was originally Red, Purple would make it worth more to me. Assuming it was done correctly.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The value of the vehicle after an aftermarket paint job (especially a different color than stock) is in the eye of the future beholder. With that being said, I personally wouldn't touch it unless it was painted with all of the body panels removed (like the factory) and reassembled correctly (to factory specs). An incorrectly painted Viper (overspray, painted body panel fasteners, tape lines, etc.) will definitely affect its value.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the purple I was thinking of when I first read it, more like a blue-purple. I like it.

Probably does lower the value to most though. Although it seems the price of red, silver, and black are lower than others anyway so idunno.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the purple. The car is already 7 years old so the depreciation is gone. I just had my 03 painted the original color, and it looks awesome. Mine has 52000 miles and by looking at it you would think its new. If you like it grab it. Good luck

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
periwinkle's not my thing...but it's clean. the Asanti's are acceptable, but switching to a blacked out wheel might set off the paint job

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think it looks great paul. i love the color!

check out the car closely and see if it disassembled and then painted, or see it was just a scuff-and-shoot.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of digging it..not sure what it's worth though. Question is what are they wanting for it? That may help.

Started out at $44,995 and I think I can get it for around $38,500. I think that may be all I can get. I am driving up now to see it. I think it is probably worth that price if it was painted correctly and is in good shape. Opinion?

Last edited:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! That is an excellent color. I bet it looks good under city lights at night. It would be interesting to see shots of it in the daylight.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's worth more to the buyer that WANTS that color. I think that color is great. I'm not diggin the wheels though - too big.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A blueple Viper with Asanti's probably shouldn't be at the top of the list of cars to inquire about I wouldn't think.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at the car today. The color was outstanding. It was about the best color I had ever seen on a Viper IMO. It has some issues and I passed. In my opinion it is worth somewhere in the low-mid 30's for what it is worth. They would not lower their final offer of $38,500 and I left.

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

I looked at the car today. The color was outstanding. It was about the best color I had ever seen on a Viper IMO. It has some issues and I passed. In my opinion it is worth somewhere in the low-mid 30's for what it is worth. They would not lower their final offer of $38,500 and I left.

The color was nicer that I thought it would be but if it had issues then it's good you passed on it.
Find something to drive to VOI......:)

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will call back with a better price in a few days. They always do. They market for this car is extremely small. Remember when we bought our first Viper, it had to be perfect. Color changes would be unacceptable. Most of us are looking at it from the perspective that this would make an ok addition to the garage.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree you made the right choice on the offer. An 03 with 50K miles is worth more in the low 30's. And it was repainted for a reason. I would want to know why.

While the color appears okay on the car, it did look more of a blueish purple. To me the color was not strong enough to be placed on a Viper. Dodge has chosen some really strong colors over the years like the yellow, copperhead and snake skin. For me if I was going away from the original color, then I would have chosen with one of those. My 2cents.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i talked to paul today and it looks like john has found him a very nice car at Rononke. sounds like he will be in a Viper again real soon.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First year of the gen 3, high miles, repainted purple... Sounds like a really bad combo to me! And at $38,500 they weren't flexible?!?! Sounds like it's waaaaaaay over priced!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang