2006 Viper with a lifter tick

Bubba2994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 Viper recently and absolutely love it. I drove the car for about 2 months then started hearing what sounds like a lifter tick. I took the car to a mechanic and he said due to the tolerances of the motor he wouldnt worry about it. The noise was still bothering me so I took it to the local Dodge dealer and they told me I needed to replace all the lifters at a cost of $9800. So 2 mechanics with 2 different opinions. I have had a few high performance people look at it and they said its fine just drive it and enjoy it. It is not coming from 1 valve or even 1 side. It seems like its a harmonious tick coming from all 20. My question would be is it normal to hear a lifter tick. I cant hear it at start up but as I drive the car I start to hear it once car warms up. Thank you in advance for any advice.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Valve noise does tend to be pretty common with these cars, but always hard to tell without hearing it in person. Fuel injectors also make a ticking noise as they are basically just little solenoids, and the open hood vents on a Viper mean a lot of engine noise makes it out of the engine bay that you wouldn't normally hear on a lot of other modern cars with insulation and engine covers everywhere. Given that you describe is as a fairly consistent and harmonious kind of sound, I would be less inclined to believe it's a problem. If there was one particular one that stood out I would be more worried. Could always do an oil change and maybe change up oil weights as well. Probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but if you don't know what's in it now it would at least give you a new baseline. I have often heard people describe the Viper as sounding like a sewing machine when it comes to valve noise, in the sense of just a common rhythmic tick.

Narandara

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bubba,
i had this "noise" on my 2005 Viper as well same way like you. Nothing at start and then after warming up the engine started ticking. No joy to listen to. My Viper had around 2000 mls when i heard it the first time. There was nothing technically wrong with the motor (other than the design it represents from my point of view), don't spend that $ 9,800 accept it or get rid of it as i did because i couldn't stand it.

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 Viper recently and absolutely love it. I drove the car for about 2 months then started hearing what sounds like a lifter tick. I took the car to a mechanic and he said due to the tolerances of the motor he wouldnt worry about it. The noise was still bothering me so I took it to the local Dodge dealer and they told me I needed to replace all the lifters at a cost of $9800. So 2 mechanics with 2 different opinions. I have had a few high performance people look at it and they said its fine just drive it and enjoy it. It is not coming from 1 valve or even 1 side. It seems like its a harmonious tick coming from all 20. My question would be is it normal to hear a lifter tick. I cant hear it at start up but as I drive the car I start to hear it once car warms up. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Fuel injectors also make a ticking noise as they are basically just little solenoids. There on top, vs-the Older GEN's.
Normal, what i was told.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mobil1 15w50 (large amounts of Zinc) or 0w-40 (dont forget the Viper
Specific Filter) should really reduce that noise and is a better option for
the motor (unless you live the car in winter in Nome.)

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Normal. Stealership opinion on point. This concerned me as well. Like you I reached out to people and got the same answers from friends. The stealership wanted to replace the engine LOL. I've dropped over 5k miles in 8 months. Car got smoother and quieter likely due to actually getting driven.

jimbalayajag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 coupe with 43k, I have had it for 7 years, the "typewriter" sound is a little annoying, but normal. The car is quiet when cold, then it gets a little louder as it warms up. I added a little Lucas oil treatment and that helped a little bit. Just drive it and enjoy! It's a wonderful car, and a blast to drive.