2008 oil change...FYI...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
For those who have not yet done an oil change on their 2008 (probably 2009), the drain plug requires a 13 mm wrench.

Interestingly, the NEW 08-09 Viper specific MOPAR oil filter (05038041AA) was a slight disappointment in that the rubber gasket was loose when taken from the box/plastic sack/plastic cover cap. While I have been using the ''other'' Viper specific MOPAR filter (05037836AA) for a couple of years on all of our other Vipers, I have not seen this type of problem before.

Anyone else seen this on the 08-09 filter...or am I the only one??

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Drive here and I'll do it for you!!

I am happy to report that two days ago I hooked up the VCA and Porsche Club with a local, CAR friendly oil distributor who is willing to sell us Mobil 1 0W-40 for $5.52 per quart on a minimum purchase on 12 quarts.

This is a real deal as many auto part stores around here and I'll(YES, even Wal-Mart) lack stock...let alone the price!!!

Needless to say, I'll be stocking up tomorrow!!!

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those who have not yet done an oil change on their 2008 (probably 2009), the drain plug requires a 13 mm wrench.

Interestingly, the NEW 08-09 Viper specific MOPAR oil filter (05038041AA) was a slight disappointment in that the rubber gasket was loose when taken from the box/plastic sack/plastic cover cap. While I have been using the ''other'' Viper specific MOPAR filter (05037836AA) for a couple of years on all of our other Vipers, I have not seen this type of problem before.

Anyone else seen this on the 08-09 filter...or am I the only one??

Don't know if it helps, but the White Viper Branded Mopar Filter I just used on my '05 had the same "problem". In fact, I had a few more new ones, and so did they.. So, far no leaks though..

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same oil and same filter on my recent change for my 08. No problem, gasket was in good shape! Any chance of getting that oil deal across the border here in Ohio? Nice job you did for your club.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No reason (other than driving distance or shipping costs) that ANY Viper Club Member would be excluded to my knowledge!!!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the filters. I'll be keeping a close eye on ALL my filters for a while.

Picked up 4 cases of Mobil 1 0W-40 yesterday...quick and easy to do...and, wonderfully nice folks at General Petroleum!!! I know that at least one opther VCA member is doing the same today.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does 0W30 hurt in colder climate, Tom?
---
I'll pick up my new SRT-10 (2008) Thursday and drive straight to the Nürburgring.

After my return home it's time for a first oil change...:D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, is the 0W-40 an 08 thing? My manual says 10W-30 and recently Tom said in another thread that it would be ok to run 5W-30 as well.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, Same thing happened to me and didn't see it until I drained the pan. I used some permatex to try and re-set the gasket. (Never had this problem before with a half dozen of the old filters). I placed the filter on very slowly, no leaks or runs in 2K miles. Mike

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. Sure never had that with standard Mopar filter, Mobil, nor K&N...will also watch carefully!!

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up 2 '08 filters today from the dealer today (05038041AA). No problems with the gaskets, but I noticed they are branded SRT and not Viper. Dealer also told me Chrysler has now directed them to use Quaker State oil in Mobile 1 factory fills!!! They cannot get Mobile 1 from Chrysler any more. My dealer won't use QS and I won't use it, but it's good heads up information for any one just dropping off their Viper for service. Ask the question!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Things change...however, I'll continue to use Mobil 1 in our Vipers...and now, maybe the dealers can purchase Mobil 1 directly from the same distributor that our members are using!!

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive here and I'll do it for you!!

I am happy to report that two days ago I hooked up the VCA and Porsche Club with a local, CAR friendly oil distributor who is willing to sell us Mobil 1 0W-40 for $5.52 per quart on a minimum purchase on 12 quarts.

This is a real deal as many auto part stores around here and I'll(YES, even Wal-Mart) lack stock...let alone the price!!!

Needless to say, I'll be stocking up tomorrow!!!
I picked up some 0-40 at Farm and Fleet yesterday for $5.33 per qt.