2008 question around performance mods

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently stepped into a 2008 viper. Bone stock.

I am wanting to do

Belanger full exhaust(headers/catback/highflow cats)

5th gen intake

DSE catch can

I live in missouri and they require an OBDII "ready state" scan to pass emissions.

Will this setup work on the car without throwing CEL/MIL?

If not, what are the options for making it work?

Thanks!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On top of that you need to get the Mopar Venom controller

With the headers, it's when, not if they will throw a CEL. Before going to emissions testing you'll need to, swap out the controller to the stock one, then clear the codes, then do the correct driving cycle so that the emission system reads "ready". You must drive the car with high RPM's and don't lug the engine or you'll trip a CEL Good luck!! Mike

OP
OP
drasch21

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On top of that you need to get the Mopar Venom controller

With the headers, it's when, not if they will throw a CEL. Before going to emissions testing you'll need to, swap out the controller to the stock one, then clear the codes, then do the correct driving cycle so that the emission system reads "ready". You must drive the car with high RPM's and don't lug the engine or you'll trip a CEL Good luck!! Mike

Torrie from hp tuner says he handle this via the HP tuner module. Seems reasonable?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been able to get these cars to pass the emissions monitors with the stock controller. The upstream O2 sensors need to be relocated to collector, a CA approved or secondary production catalyst used and the downstream sensors mounted behind the catalyst with proper shielding.

Kevin M Melisz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi drasch21, I recently put on a full Belanger exhaust on my stock 08 with stock controller. I have about 500 miles on the car without throwing any CEL/MIL.

I would be happy to discuss the project.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently stepped into a 2008 viper. Bone stock.

I am wanting to do

Belanger full exhaust(headers/catback/highflow cats)

5th gen intake

DSE catch can

I live in missouri and they require an OBDII "ready state" scan to pass emissions.

Will this setup work on the car without throwing CEL/MIL?

If not, what are the options for making it work?

Thanks!

Go to see Steve Hemann at Hemann Automotive. He's on Jeffco, north of Richardson by the train tracks and Arnold police station. He has three Vipers himself and takes care of lot of the StL Viper people. He will tell you what is needed in Jefferson County.