2013 Cruise control, adjustable suspension.... what else?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't like it? Don't turn it on.
A similar statement could be said for the pro-Cruise folks. Want it? Go to Woodhouse and have it installed. They do great work. You get what you want, others get what they want and Dodge doesn't have to worry about supporting another nancy item. Everybody wins.

Really hate it? Have a tuner delete its parameters from the PCM.
So you're fine for those who hate it, to buy it and then paying again to have it deleted. I'm glad Dodge doesn't listen to that logic.

Fact is, if Dodge gave a damn about cruise they'd have put it on by now. The only reason they're putting all these nannies on the Viper is because our oppressive government is forcing them to. Some free country.

GDog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, back to the original topic of what else the new car will have. We all know that traction control (TC) and a stability system are in the mix and that cruise control would be likely once the you have TC (600+ Hp plus RWD plus wet roads all divided by cruise control = crash). But what about the drive line? From the discussion I've have I think it's a fore gone conclusion that the Gen V will have an optional DSG type gear box. While I am a die hard purist that prefers a manual gear box, having an optional DSG is smart for two reasons:

1) Facts are facts, double clutch type gear boxes are faster and Vipers are all about speed. For instance how many times on the Nurburgring run could Tom have up shifted and keep accelerating if the ACR was equipped with a transmission that shifted in a fraction of the time? On a 7min lap is that worth a second? maybe even three seconds? Who knows but when seconds count….

2) Dodge is in Business to make money and to do that with Viper they need to sell more cars. Simple as that. The beauty of DSG transmissions is that the can be a automatic or a manual. Thus the number of possible buyers increases which in turn leads to more possible sales.

The best thing about an option is that you don't have to take it! For the ******** drives there will be a manual trany available and for the other how wish to simple 'enjoy' there car there will likely be an optional transmission for them. The big question is: if the DGS is faster at the race track what would you buy.....

P.S. I'm pretty sure that the Bilstein sport button is a joke. Us Engineers love those kind of jokes - especially if it perplexes everyone else.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Slamming into a telephone pole, curb, fire hydrant or pedestrian unexpectedly isn't What most people consider to be fun.

Or you could learn to drive, while using good judgement. It's a crazy concept.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slamming into a telephone pole, curb, fire hydrant or pedestrian unexpectedly isn't What most people consider to be fun.

Managed to go seven years now in four different Vipers without a scratch.
Two with no ABS either. And I drive them in the winter too.
I must be superman. Or, I respect and know the car and it's capabilities.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I actually think that we will see MORE accidents with the new snake. You watch, the nannytards are going to drive well beyond their capabilities thinking "Oh, I have TC and stab control now, the car won't get away from me".

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that TC and ABS and all of it will be good for the Viper. And help take the Viper to the next level. Have you guys driven a modern Ferrari??? The steering is light years ahead of the Viper. The feel and such. I think with Fiat and the Ferrari brand in the mix the new Viper will be awesome!! And for the others that want a back in the day Viper. Buy a Gen 1 or 2 and enjoy! All the Gens have their own feel. I love the Gen 2 GTS!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I think that TC and ABS and all of it will be good for the Viper. And help take the Viper to the next level. Have you guys driven a modern Ferrari??? The steering is light years ahead of the Viper.

7:32.92 Ferrari 458 Italia. Nurburgring. Ya, light years ahead.:rolleyes: And so is the price.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge is in Business to make money and to do that with Viper they need to sell more cars. Simple as that.

No, it's more complicated than that. There is a little oppressive government thing called CAFE. Dodge is already pushing the limits of corporate fuel averages and if they sold many more Vipers they wouldn't meet CAFE requirements and would end up paying millions in fines. It's the 70s all over again, hopefully we won't see 140hp Vipers in 2016 like we did the Vettes in 1976.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think that we will see MORE accidents with the new snake. You watch, the nannytards are going to drive well beyond their capabilities thinking "Oh, I have TC and stab control now, the car won't get away from me".

No doubt about it. That exact thing happened while I was riding shotgun in a 2006 Murci at Sebring. WreckedExotics .com displays pages and pages of evidence of the worthlessness of sports cars equiped with nannies. That crap is fine on a minivan, SUV, pickup, family sedan, but once those minivan folks are behind the wheel of a sports car they have a different mindset and the results aren't gonna be pretty.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think someone figured it on here once and the vipers production numbers make up such a small amount that the Viper would not be a factor in Dodges CAFE numbers.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7:32.92 Ferrari 458 Italia. Nurburgring. Ya, light years ahead.:rolleyes: And so is the price.

I agree the ACR is something we can all be proud of with the 722 it laid down. Not to mention I think a 10 ACR could shave even more time off that! I love American made cars. Makes me proud to have a car that can beat the best on the track. What I mean is the feel of the car and the steering. I have jumped from the 10 ACR with heads and intake and exhaust and mopar with 600 at the wheels and then drive back to back the F car. And yes you are right there is a big price difference, but you can feel the difference. When you get a chance drive an F car or FGT or a Lambo. Ones not better than the other just different.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A similar statement could be said for the pro-Cruise folks. Want it? Go to Woodhouse and have it installed. They do great work. You get what you want, others get what they want and Dodge doesn't have to worry about supporting another nancy item. Everybody wins.
Cruise is a "nancy item"? Since when?
Not all of us have a 40' Prevost and a 30' bi-level trailer taking our cars to the track.
Some of us drive for 6 hours to the event in the actual car.

My point was that if all the computer gear is ALREADY going into the car for TC and ESC, why not put in 4 lines of code for CC and a couple of buttons on the steering wheel?
The cost and weight would be negligible. You already have FBW throttle control.....and that's 90% of the way there.
It would almost be silly NOT to put it in.

So you're fine for those who hate it, to buy it and then paying again to have it deleted.
Yes. I'm fine with that.
$$$ does NOT equal smarts.

Fact is, if Dodge gave a damn about cruise they'd have put it on by now. The only reason they're putting all these nannies on the Viper is because our oppressive government is forcing them to. Some free country.
They did put it on (see previous posts).

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
They did put it on (see previous posts).

The SRT-10 Ram came with a V-10 in them. They are not a Viper. Soooo, no "they" did not put it on.

I actually would like cruise control in my Viper. Again it all hinges on the smarts of the driver. Use cruise on a car with the TQ/HP of our Vipers in inclement weather and end up in the ditch. Or worse.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No doubt about it. That exact thing happened while I was riding shotgun in a 2006 Murci at Sebring. WreckedExotics .com displays pages and pages of evidence of the worthlessness of sports cars equiped with nannies. That crap is fine on a minivan, SUV, pickup, family sedan, but once those minivan folks are behind the wheel of a sports car they have a different mindset and the results aren't gonna be pretty.

Chuck, we are a dying breed. But your comment brought back a memory. When I was a kid I had VW Bug. I had "modified" it somewhat. I raced a new vette on the hwy and kicked his ass. Growing up with the muscle cars of the '60s that moment was bitter sweet.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT-10 Ram came with a V-10 in them. They are not a Viper. Soooo, no "they" did not put it on.
Wait.
Let me check.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nope.
It's a Viper engine.
And it has CC on it.
Since no one else touches my truck, that would mean either Chrysler or I put it on.
I sure as hell didn't.....

Again it all hinges on the smarts of the driver. Use cruise on a car with the TQ/HP of our Vipers in inclement weather and end up in the ditch. Or worse.
Herein lies the problem.
Anyone that rolls CC driving through inclement weather is an idiot and begging to end up with a crumpled beer can for a vehicle.
Ya can't fix stupid.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Now there's a nice devisive comment. The Ram SRT10 with the six speed's engine and tranny came right off the Viper line.

Means nothing, Prowler came off that line too....

They never put cruise on a Viper from the factory. Ram SRT-10 with the V-10 viper motor, yep. Isn't a Viper though.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, we are a dying breed. But your comment brought back a memory. When I was a kid I had VW Bug. I had "modified" it somewhat. I raced a new vette on the hwy and kicked his ass. Growing up with the muscle cars of the '60s that moment was bitter sweet.

Yep, we saw it happen in the 70s didn't we. I've got the same feeling I had then when the big cube motors were fading away and the result was nearly two decades of pathetic excuses for sports cars. The same thing is happening to our Viper. It has been creeping along with all the nanny crap and look out for 2016 when CAFE gets more strict.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody stupid argument if you ask me. Cruise control doesn't hurt a damn thing. Free basically given drive by wire. No weight to speak of either. I've put over 6000 miles on my Viper in a week, several times. Cruise control would have been a nice addition. Yea I could put on an aftermarket cruise control for a lot more money and it would not operate nearly as well as a manufacturer designed system. Jeeze guys, you tell me you wouldn't buy a Viper just because it has cruise? That is ridiculous.

I've actually spoken to an engineer on the new Viper and he says once people drive the new Viper with traction control (that can be turned off!) you'll stop the complaining. It is the least intrusive system they could design and still satisfy the government. It is faster plain and simple with the TC on. I for one will turn it off on the track (I have on all the cars I've tracked that had it) but others can decide for themselves. On the street I'd probably leave it on. Heck why not? After all I take it to the track when I want to go fast.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And a quick question for the ones that are closer and talked to the SRT people :

Is that confirmed that the 8.4L V10 with direct injection and 700 hp N/A is the engine for the new model or is there a new, downsized V10 coming out?

Who cares about cruise control? What a stupid thing to argue about. Like if that will make a difference if added to the new car in the overall performance and dynamics of the car....

For the ones that know or have a slight idea of what is coming out next year, I would like to know more about,

1) Engine
2) Transmission
3) Weight
4) Looks
5) Price
6) Availability

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the ones that know or have a slight idea of what is coming out next year, I would like to know more about,

1) Engine
2) Transmission
3) Weight
4) Looks
5) Price
6) Availability

Yeah, you and a thousand other people.
LOL anyone who knows ain't saying, and very few know.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares about cruise control? What a stupid thing to argue about. Like if that will make a difference if added to the new car in the overall performance and dynamics of the car....

Not a stupid argument, just a lot of passionate owners and enthusiast's. When the Viper had come out it was a bare bones sports car. "A Cobra for the '90s." If you look at it (the Viper) today, it has all the things it didn't have when it came out. Outside door handles, roll up windows, ABS, A/C, Adjustable Pedals, convertible top, trunk carpet, cd player, NAV, power mirrors, a dead pedal, and a host of other things i'm sure i've forgotten. There are some that feel the Viper has not been made since '96 due to all the creature comforts so I see where they are coming from. I love my GEN II. The reason I got an '01 instead of the '98 that I originally wanted was ABS. Do I like the fact that the viper is gonna have TC ad possibly Cruise control, no not really. Even though I own a GEN II I try to drive it like a GEN I. Windows down all the time and use the A/C as little as possible.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not a stupid argument, just a lot of passionate owners and enthusiast's. When the Viper had come out it was a bare bones sports car. "A Cobra for the '90s." If you look at it (the Viper) today, it has all the things it didn't have when it came out. Outside door handles, roll up windows, ABS, A/C, Adjustable Pedals, convertible top, trunk carpet, cd player, NAV, power mirrors, a dead pedal, and a host of other things i'm sure i've forgotten. There are some that feel the Viper has not been made since '96 due to all the creature comforts so I see where they are coming from. I love my GEN II. The reason I got an '01 instead of the '98 that I originally wanted was ABS. Do I like the fact that the viper is gonna have TC ad possibly Cruise control, no not really. Even though I own a GEN II I try to drive it like a GEN I. Windows down all the time and use the A/C as little as possible.

You got a point BUT, at the same time we have to think on the future and what is necessary to keep a company alive in todays market and economy crisis.
I am sure that passionate people look at each other and say:
Did you see that the 2010 ACR viper with the shorter 5th gear could ve been even faster than the 08-09 was to take the ring record back from the ZR1?
what they forget to mention is that the car has dual electronic throttle bodies, a cam with technology put in to it, tires with a lot of R/D put into them by michelin, carbon fiber, etc....
It is there and it is coming so we all have to get over it.
Like some one said before in one of the posts,
Just have it removed it if you dont like it and that is why I said it was a stupid argument on the C.C. in special.
1992 was 19 years ago and while some are still living there in their minds, the company and some other people want to move forward to bring a new car that fits the need for a 2011 market and economic reality.

I say go for it!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I own a GEN II I try to drive it like a GEN I. Windows down all the time and use the A/C as little as possible.

My 98 might as well be a GenI. I haven't put the top on or windows up in 5 years and the A/C went out right around that time too. And don't ask me about the radio.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got a point BUT, at the same time we have to think on the future and what is necessary to keep a company alive in todays market and economy crisis.
I am sure that passionate people look at each other and say:
Did you see that the 2010 ACR viper with the shorter 5th gear could ve been even faster than the 08-09 was to take the ring record back from the ZR1?
what they forget to mention is that the car has dual electronic throttle bodies, a cam with technology put in to it, tires with a lot of R/D put into them by michelin, carbon fiber, etc....
It is there and it is coming so we all have to get over it.
Like some one said before in one of the posts,
Just have it removed it if you dont like it and that is why I said it was a stupid argument on the C.C. in special.
1992 was 19 years ago and while some are still living there in their minds, the company and some other people want to move forward to bring a new car that fits the need for a 2011 market and economic reality.

I say go for it!!!

I agree. I know some things have to change for the new car. I am not blind to the fact that even though we are getting a new Viper Chrysler would like to sell a few more of them every year. It's a very exciting time for the Viper. While I was to young to appreciate it when the original Viper came out in '92 to me the new Viper has that same excitement about it. IMO.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. I know some things have to change for the new car. I am not blind to the fact that even though we are getting a new Viper Chrysler would like to sell a few more of them every year. It's a very exciting time for the Viper. While I was to young to appreciate it when the original Viper came out in '92 to me the new Viper has that same excitement about it. IMO.

I was only 12 when the viper came out in 92. Still think that the blue/white 96 gts is the most beautiful car ever made.
All these electronic things apart, I just want the new viper to look right like all the previous ones.
The guys that saw the new prototype said it looks great so that excitment is on for sure!!!! I personally cannot wait any longer.LOL...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang