2014 Corvette

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real question is, what is that black plastic going to look like on the base trim. You can clearly see it is painted in the Cyber grey car. Other pictures, it looks dull

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly none of it is offered in plain black plastic. All the vents and lower rear fascia are painted carbon flash black which was the special metallic black for the Centennial edition cars. Not sure if body-color is an option yet.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is one nice looking color on this car. Makes all those sharp angles work.

Hate to say it, but put the Gen V next to this one and the Viper looks like a really dated design........oh wait...I forgot that this was the SRT goal. Instead of moving forward on the Gen IV, lets move backwards to the Gen II looks.

Matt

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that many would agree with your view regarding the Gen V design being dated although it certainly pays homage to the Gen II look in the same way that Porsche pays homage to the past 911s. Have you seen the Gen V in person? I ask because photos do not do it justice. Both the Vette and the Viper are interesting and capable designs. The Viper is more sculpted and in some ways reminds me of a Henry Moore scuplture. The Vette, at least in the photos with black wheels, looks more mean and looks like it is right out of a transformer movie. ( I do not mean this in a bad way.) It will be interesting to see what SRT does with the ACR and what Chevy does with the Z07/ZR1 performance variant(s). The Ring wars are "on". It will be exciting to watch. We certainly have come an incredible technological distance since the performance cars of the 60s and early 70s. We are lucky to be alive and enjoy it.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT does not deserve the criticism. The VCA, to include me, and a lot of the Viper constituency ask for it. Otherwise, I’ve seen the V in person--truly fantastic. But, I can’t wait to see them next to each other or head to head in a test comparison.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that many would agree with your view regarding the Gen V design being dated although it certainly pays homage to the Gen II look in the same way that Porsche pays homage to the past 911s. Have you seen the Gen V in person? I ask because photos do not do it justice. Both the Vette and the Viper are interesting and capable designs. The Viper is more sculpted and in some ways reminds me of a Henry Moore scuplture. The Vette, at least in the photos with black wheels, looks more mean and looks like it is right out of a transformer movie. ( I do not mean this in a bad way.) It will be interesting to see what SRT does with the ACR and what Chevy does with the Z07/ZR1 performance variant(s). The Ring wars are "on". It will be exciting to watch. We certainly have come an incredible technological distance since the performance cars of the 60s and early 70s. We are lucky to be alive and enjoy it.

Bob,

I have not seen a Gen V in person so I am in fact basing my views on the pictures I have seen so far. Maybe it doesn't photograph well but the more I see it, the more I feel that its just not fresh enough. I cant get exited about the front end and the curved scops behind the front wheels, looks just like the Gen II, which even though is beautiful, is still 15 to 20 years old (and does look like it)

I think the new Vette really makes a statement that I don't see when looking at the Gen V.

I am not a Vette guy. Not by a long shot but have to say, that if I had to pick one today (and the performance and price was equal).....then I would pick the Vette.

Maybe I will change my mind when I see one in person and/or if I get the opportunity to drive one. Don't know. Just basing my thoughts on what I see in front of me.

Matt

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT does not deserve the criticism. The VCA, to include me, and a lot of the Viper constituency ask for it. Otherwise, I’ve seen the V in person--truly fantastic. But, I can’t wait to see them next to each other or head to head in a test comparison.

Deserving or not....everyone doesn't like the new Gen V. Nor do I believe that everyone would have liked it if it looked different. You just cant please everyone.

What I am saying is that we just don't HAVE to like it, because its a Viper.

I certainly hope that you will step up and buy a new Viper, since you got what you asked for. The VCA may have some buyers but I am sure the majority of Viper owners, past and future, have nothing to do with VCA.

Matt

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
“…everyone doesn't like the new Gen V “. Everyone? So, everyone on earth dislikes the V. I like it.

“…cant please everyone.” Obviously.

“What I am saying is that we just don't HAVE to like it, because its a Viper.” That point was made ad nauseam a few pages back. But, even if there wasn’t a new Viper, I dislike like the C7. I sincerely apologize to “everyone”.
IRT stepping up? That’s hilarious. One day I hope, since it will go great with the two Vipers I currently own.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did the side marker near the tire trend begin? Viper and Corvette have them in the same area...

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim......I LOVE your Vipers......They are AWESOME cars and agree 100%.......I guess we are the last of an old breed of Viper lovers....I wouldn't take 10 new of that above named car for 1 Gen V....I gotta be carefull here because the Viper patroll is watching what I say about those other types......I do love all types of cars, but my loyality right now is to our world of Vipers......I did buy that 07 911 TWIN TURBO S Porsche but my loyality still remained with the Viper.......Its like being loyal to your favorite football team......I like the COWBOYs but hey we arn't suppose to trash talk about he other rival teams? Freedom of speech is thrown out the window now days and it isn't the majority wins.........its the minority wins.....if one person don't want praying in school then all of a sudden NO one can pray in school.......if 1 person don't want the words in GOD we trust or be sworn before GOD in the court then we have to leave the word GOD out......HAPPY VIPERING everyone........

“…everyone doesn't like the new Gen V “. Everyone? So, everyone on earth dislikes the V. I like it.

“What I am saying is that we just don't HAVE to like it, because its a Viper.” That point was made ad nauseam a few pages back. But, even if there wasn’t a new Viper, I dislike like the C7. I sincerely apologize to “everyone”.
IRT stepping up? That’s hilarious. One day I hope, since it will go great with the two Vipers I currently own.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a feeling this would happen. I will try to spell it out so that my words dont get confused.

- I am agreeing that many definitely like the new Viper....(this ones easy)

- I am also saying that everyone doesnt (same as 'not all'). In other words, some actually dont care as much for the new design....( are you still with me ?)

- SRT, just like any car company should be able to take criticism. You say they don't deserve it....some agree with you. I say they do deserve some criticism (maybe I am the only one)

- You don't have to apologize for not liking the C7. Its your call. Don't make others apologize for how they feel either.

- Hilarious Huh. Well SRT wont survive on hopes.....and certainly not on the two cars sitting in your garage.

Now please don't respond by twisting my words around again. If you still don't get it...to bad. All I am saying is that I personally have some thoughts about the Gen V that aren't positive.....and that's ok. I have also repeatedly said that I may change my mind when seeing the car in person.

Matt

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C7 changes little if nothing at all for the Viper. It's still basically the same choice. The 600+ hp C7 will cost as much as the Viper and you will have a mass market car. I would argue that both are beautiful designs and that right now the base Viper destroys the base corvette in performance. In the future when both new generation cars are wearing their ultimate track weapon attire it's going to be a helluva fight but on the street the Viper will be the true exotic with it's fluid curves and monster V10 engine, Ferrari inspired interior and much more limited numbers without an entry level car to dilute the brand.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really the only thing we can compare now is how they look both inside and out since their performance #'s don't match up at all yet. If we were comparing the 2 based on their performance alone, the Viper wins hands down by a longshot. In terms of looks, some like vanilla, some like chocolate, and some like both. While i may have a strong preference to the Viper, I can definitely appreciate both, as both companies did a great job on their redesigns in my opinion and really raised the bar at relative bargain prices. I have already seen the new Viper in person last year and I fell in love instantly, but have not had the fortune to drive it yet. I have to reserve my true opinion of the C7 until I see it in person as well at the NY Auto show this April, but I'm sure it will be even more stunning in person as well. In the end, until we get the higher performance versions of the C7 to market, and until we get a chance to actually sit in both cars and experience them on the road, there is no way to really say which is better or our real favorite, unless you are a true die hard fan that will always favor one make and model car over everything else on the market.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I needed to see the Metallic picture of the C7 as that in the one picture above as that makes it look somewhat okay. Before that I was just disliking the whole thing. However I just can't get past that rear end and the angle of the side scoop just matches up with the exact angle of the side gill in a GEN III / IV Viper. I am willing to bet dollars to pecos that the angle is the same to the degree.

Wish those exact HREs were on the Viper and the wheel gap was the same.

However I have not been attracted to the Vette, it is just not me. The Viper, while a retro-retro look to be exact has beautiful lines and is just more my style. Front end is still a bit quirky for me but they will work on it in another edition. Put the GTS Blue Special Edition Viper next to this C7 and the C7 will really fade away. There is just no comparison, sorry.

It is great to see the new car hobby alive and well, but gosh these new prices are pretty insane and I am not taking about the base C7 Vette price. Base Vette is of no interest to the ********* enthusiats and of no interest to me. Wait until people see the prices for options and up it will go significantly.

Will be very interesting when SRT Cuda and all new 50th Anniversary Mustang breaks on the scene. In the end, it is good to have options.

OP
OP
A

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I circled the issues I have with the car. They stick out like a sore thumb to me IMO. The C7 is starting to grow on me however.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure that is a given. LOL. As a former Stingray owner the rear is kinda growin on me however.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, nope, I get it; and, your passive-aggressive post. You obviously suffer from cabin fever; and, the treatment is “April” which is around the corner. So, step up or out in your case and see the cars as stated. Then, post. We wait with bated breath.

Last edited:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish those exact HREs were on the Viper and the wheel gap was the same.

The wheel gap is going to grow just like on the Viper. It also has tinted windows to look better, that won't be there for production either.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did the side marker near the tire trend begin? Viper and Corvette have them in the same area...

I found the requirement:

Intermediate side marker lamps & reflectors

North American regulations require large vehicles to be equipped with left and right amber side marker lights and reflectors mounted midway between the front and rear side markers.

I have them on my Abarth too, hate them, in fact some people are tinting them so they don't stand out so much especially on a black vehicle.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'll take the other lights... The round does not flow with the angular design. Thanks for the pic. :2tu:

I agree that all the angular lines on the rest of the car forced their hand to make angular tail lights. I don't mind the round, but they don't exactly 'fit', although they do match the tail pipes at least. I think they could have put just about anything back there EXCEPT 4 Camaro-looking lights. In the end (no pun intended), I don't think it would make or break anyone's decision to buy one, that would be a little silly.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some new pics...

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's amazing to me how the right colour (on a car) can make you love it or even hate it.

That grey/steel on the vette really works! ...

just like that STRYKER RED does on the viper...

and it's very much a personal opinion thing....what one person likes somebody else might not and the reverse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper