97 viper bogging while driving

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the past month, my 1997 viper gts coupe has been bogging while I've been driving it. It usually happens within the first 10 minutes of driving the car, and it will sometimes last for the entire time driving the car. I notice it happens most when I'm in 1st or second gear at around 2500 rpm. As I keep my foot steady on the gas pedal, it begins to bog. Suddenly it will catch, and the car will take off. It does this frequently, making the car appear to be bouncing back and forth like someone just learning to drive a manual transmission. I took it to my mechanic, and they found 2 spark plugs that went bad, so all of my spark plugs have been replaced. My fuel injectors have also been cleaned. When I got the car back, it still continued to have this problem. The only after market work I have done to my car is a corsa exhaust with straight pipes. I have put a few thousand miles on the car since the exhaust and straight pipes with no issues. Any idea what the problem could be? I am unable to get any codes for the problem. Thank you.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would check ignition wires and coils next. depending on when wires have been replaced for the last time it would make sense to renew them while being at it.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check the throttle bodies for sync and spark plug wires !!

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clean the iac and throttle bodies with tb cleaner. Then synch the tb's. Even if that's not the root of your problem, it should be done anyways as part of your basic maintenance.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any updates ViperTom?

If you still have the problem after going through all the basic tune-up stuff then I might have some advice to help

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like its either fuel pressure or O2 sensor related. Have it put on a dyno and checked under load.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the past month, my 1997 viper gts coupe has been bogging while I've been driving it. It usually happens within the first 10 minutes of driving the car, and it will sometimes last for the entire time driving the car. I notice it happens most when I'm in 1st or second gear at around 2500 rpm. As I keep my foot steady on the gas pedal, it begins to bog. Suddenly it will catch, and the car will take off. It does this frequently, making the car appear to be bouncing back and forth like someone just learning to drive a manual transmission. I took it to my mechanic, and they found 2 spark plugs that went bad, so all of my spark plugs have been replaced. My fuel injectors have also been cleaned. When I got the car back, it still continued to have this problem. The only after market work I have done to my car is a corsa exhaust with straight pipes. I have put a few thousand miles on the car since the exhaust and straight pipes with no issues. Any idea what the problem could be? I am unable to get any codes for the problem. Thank you.

My '99 behaves in a similar way if water gets around the gas filler tube. Every time if was the car, the area below the gas cap, above the body, around the filler tube fills up with water. I have to use a sponge and dry this out before turning on the car. If not, it acts just as you describe yours acting.

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses. I have been trying to make an appointment for the viper with my mechanic, but he hasn't been able to fit me in yet. I have driven the car since, and it seemed to be bogging a bit more frequently. It's definitely in the 2000 to 2500 rpm range. Once it gets past that point, it runs smoothly. It doesn't always bog when it's at this point, but it makes for an irritating ride. It almost frills like the car wants to stall out. As I said, I have only gotten the spark plugs replaced as of right now, and the fuel injectors cleaned. The only aftermarket part I have is a corsa exhaust with straight pipes. I have had that mod for a few years and have never had the car tuned afterwards. I am just trying to limit the trial and error since viper labor and parts are pricey. Thank you again for all of the responses and I apologize for my delayed response. I don't get on here too often.

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention as I was driving the viper the other day, I noticed something a bit strange. As I was driving down a hill, a little while after releasing my foot from the gas, the car backfired quite a few times. Back firing isn't uncommon when I release my foot from the gas, but it backfired quite a few times like it was building up. I'm not sure if this means anything.