ACR as a daily driver?

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my track prepped ACRs daily, with full track splitter in and lowered, suspension set almost full stiff. I live in Texas so rain is usually the only inclement weather. You do have to drive 55-60 on the freeway on the Sport Cups when it's raining. I love the car too much to drive anything else except my motorcycle. The ACR in the rain is tame compared to the bike in the rain.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... Im scarred to park it in crowded places or anywhere for that matter, i dont like parking it in my driveway at night to be honest. I dont like it when i park somewhere and go into a store and i can see the car because i see people looking into the windows or touching the paint and i cant stand that. I understand i ask for that by owning a car of this status but i dont mind talking to someone about it or showing them the car i just dont like it unattended.

i think most of us were/are like that at one time or another

..... no, no again and no some more.....

so just to be sure, your answer is no :dunno:

:D

OP
OP
S

SubZer0

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just guess the only fault with driving the acr daily is the possibility of theft.

Anyone else think that I should be paranoid of someone stealing the viper?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just guess the only fault with driving the acr daily is the possibility of theft.

Ultimately, it is just a car. What that means to YOU, only you can decide. Will you be driving it to school/work/whatever? Can you reasonably trust the people there to respect it? Will it be garaged at night? Can you afford the increased maintenance costs associated with the daily wear and tear on a car like this? I've been to Seattle several times and quite honestly, there's no way I'd DD a Viper there, let alone an ACR because the winters take a great toll on the roads.

It's up to you though!

Out of curiosity, how old are you? Just curious what insurance might look like if you opted for regular insurance vs. an AVP with milage limits and such.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stealing it? Not so much...parking next to stupid people, be very afraid. :D But these are meant to be driven and driven hard. So enjoy it! :2tu:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think driving a GEN IV ACR as a daily driver is ludicrous ....and there is no bigger Viper fan than myself.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '94, but lowered with 550 / 800 springs to mimic the Gen II ACR. OEM shocks are set full stiff up front, half stiff in rear. My 40mm rear brakes, of course. Slight mods dyno at 408/490 at the wheels. Kumhos in 17" size. Haven't done it in a while, but have easily beat Gen II and III in local AX events.

I have ~103K miles now, have always commuted with it; first a too short distance and since Feb, an almost too long 50-55 minutes. The only way I can tolerate left lane hog minivans, show-off Beemers and land yacht SUVs is with the Viper.

If you love the car and feel the safest driving it instead of any other... why not drive it every day? I fight Gen 1 leaks in the rain, no windows, no cup holder, but I can manage 10+ months a year in the New York area and the rate of wear and tear will still outlive me.

I also have an '06 HEMI Charger R/T with the suspension package (before the SRT version came out) and when I drive it to work I think to myself how I lost an hour or two of fun. Anybody see the recent theft stats - HEMI Chargers are in the top five, not Vipers. Go figure.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '94, but lowered with 550 / 800 springs to mimic the Gen II ACR. OEM shocks are set full stiff up front, half stiff in rear. My 40mm rear brakes, of course. Slight mods dyno at 408/490 at the wheels. Kumhos in 17" size. Haven't done it in a while, but have easily beat Gen II and III in local AX events.

I have ~103K miles now, have always commuted with it; first a too short distance and since Feb, an almost too long 50-55 minutes. The only way I can tolerate left lane hog minivans, show-off Beemers and land yacht SUVs is with the Viper.

If you love the car and feel the safest driving it instead of any other... why not drive it every day? I fight Gen 1 leaks in the rain, no windows, no cup holder, but I can manage 10+ months a year in the New York area and the rate of wear and tear will still outlive me.

I also have an '06 HEMI Charger R/T with the suspension package (before the SRT version came out) and when I drive it to work I think to myself how I lost an hour or two of fun. Anybody see the recent theft stats - HEMI Chargers are in the top five, not Vipers. Go figure.

The Gen-II ACR spring rates are 750/1100. That's why so many folks dropped to 800 in the rears, for driveability and safety...it was easy to unsettle the back end of that car on any rough corner.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think driving a GEN IV ACR as a daily driver is ludicrous ....and there is no bigger Viper fan than myself.

I agree 100%! Even if you attempted to drive the ACR or any generation Viper as a daily driver, your fuel bill will quickly become the same as your insurance payment. Also, having a hood release that is accessed to any person who knows where it is located isn't very comforting. Sure it's a drivers vehicle, enjoy it when you can, however in the correct conditions. This means not as a winter vehicle as suggested by the o/p!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, I could be wrong, but lots of old posts said ACR was 500/1100 and people went to 500/850.
http://forums.viperclub.org/2260338-post3.html

My Charger gets same MPG as the Viper. If I take it easy they get 21-22. When I drive to work, closer to 18. City driving may favor the Charger.

I'm curious, if someone can open the hood, then what?

Nobody should say a Viper can't be a daily driver, since I have done it and continue to do so.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, I could be wrong, but lots of old posts said ACR was 500/1100 and people went to 500/850.
http://forums.viperclub.org/2260338-post3.html

My Charger gets same MPG as the Viper. If I take it easy they get 21-22. When I drive to work, closer to 18. City driving may favor the Charger.

Nobody should say a Viper can't be a daily driver, since I have done it and continue to do so.

You're right..my bad. I forgot the fronts were 500, I just knew that the rears were 1100 because I'd *** blood for a week everytime I hit a pothole. ;)

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I commute to NYC everyday and have a purpose built commuter to do so. Ford Focus, 2.0L four cylinder! You don't see too many 5.7 or 6.1L SRT-8 Hemi Chargers commuting down to NYC and for good reason. Of course you can but for how long? How long until you realize that fuel at $3.00+ a gallon for an excess of 50+ miles one way will shortly become similar to a car insurance payment. Point being, unless it's a short commute, a large displacement engine will become very expensive to fuel. If money is no object then of course this need not apply.
I think the proper question would be, "If someone can open the hood, what can't they do?" All it would take is some ruthless, jealous person who only could wish to own your vehicle to open the hood and cut/puncture the upper radiator hose, cut the serpentine belt, pour anything they wish into any of the reservoirs, attempt to steal and or vandalize parts etc. It wouldn't take much to make any of our Viper's into $100k paper weights with such simple access to the engine bay.
I don't think anyone is advising that it can't be rather then it shouldn't be.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info kcobean,

the august heat is a beast in the viper, but i'm trying to add as many miles as i can

:drive:

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smiles per gallon is most important on my commute. If you can't afford the extra fuel, then maybe you can't afford the car.

The extra fuel is still less than buying, maintaining, and insuring another vehicle strictly for fuel economy. And not to even mention how much more fun it makes it.

I have an old V10 Ram that gets positively dismal mileage, but its paid for, therefore buying a newer truck to save on fuel wouldn't work out as I don't drive nearly enough to offset the payment or added insurance. Just my logic.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't afford the extra fuel, then maybe you can't afford the car.
I think the point regarding the fuel is being totally missed. The thread topic is "ACR as a daily driver?" It's not a question of, "Can one afford to fuel a Viper for daily driving?" more so then, "Would someone want to fuel a Viper for daily driving?" Most can easily do so, however it's going to get expensive non the less.
The extra fuel is still less than buying, maintaining, and insuring another vehicle strictly for fuel economy.
If you can't afford a second vehicle, practical for everyday use, then maybe you shouldn't purchase any Gen. Viper as a primary vehicle!
I have an old V10 Ram that gets positively dismal mileage, but its paid for, therefore buying a newer truck to save on fuel wouldn't work out as I don't drive nearly enough to offset the payment or added insurance. Just my logic.
I agree and would do the same. I have come from a laundry list of vehicles in the past and always had a second vehicle for everyday use. The Viper is a great vehicle and I share everyones passion for it however it has it's limits. If I started a thread that was titled, "ACR as a tow vehicle?", would I receive comments on how it could easily tow a specified weight due to it's Dodge Ram derived V10 making plenty of torque or would a member tell me to purchase something for doing just that, a tow vehicle!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also agree that a Viper is definitely not a first choice for daily driver status, but fuel economy seems like the last reason in a long list of why not to do it.:dunno:

And I so rarely drive any one of my vehicles, that buying a no fun, strictly for commuting car, would mean the cool ones would be used even less.:confused:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I started a thread that was titled, "ACR as a tow vehicle?", would I receive comments on how it could easily tow a specified weight due to it's Dodge Ram derived V10 making plenty of torque or would a member tell me to purchase something for doing just that, a tow vehicle!

I have four drivers in the family and six cars. The Viper insurance is fifth expensive, after the two under-26 drivers, the "new" Charger, and wife's Jeep. (Last is a Dakota.)

I have a choice of three cars at any time, unless it's snowing or downpour, I take the Emerald. Annual fuel at 20 MPG (and again, choices are Viper, Charger, or 15MPG Dakota) is $3600. If I had something that got 30MPG, I'd have to drive it every day to save $1200. To tolerate driving up to two hours a day I would rather pay an extra $6/day. And fuel is already 3X insurance.

I'm not picking on anyone here, but if there is something to enjoy and the incremental cost is low, then what are you saving it for? Smiles per gallon!! And as far as towing, a Viper makes a pretty decent tow car, too.

Attachments

• Hitchinout.JPG
    Hitchinout.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 20

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of my fav viper pics

8816d1282093370t-acr-daily-driver-hitchinout.jpg

:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, what I want to know is how is it as a daily driver?
Taking turns and speed on the roads we drive everyday?
Is it worth it to drive one of these everyday or not?
well, I just wanted input on driving it(2009) ACR viper around my town, Ferndale,WA. we get tons of snow in the winter, is it ok to drive this bad boy in the snow? Should I be really worried about theft then? Thanks for the input guys
..........i just guess the only fault with driving the acr daily is the possibility of theft. Anyone else think that I should be paranoid of someone stealing the viper?......

SUB:

The way you write, I dont think you are for real. Maybe a bad ASSumption on my part. If so, I apologize. On to some serious answers:

If you are a skilled, well-insured driver, it makes a MEDIOCRE daily driver in Ferndale from May - November. Outside that it will kill you.

The only ACR I know of that was stolen was a 2009 Orange, from a dealership. It was wrecked in under 5 miles. Totalled. [Right before he stole it, he asked the salesman the same questions you did: 'Is it easy to drive as a daily-driver? OK wet or cold or snow? etc. Are you worried that someone will steal it?" ]

One thing for sure: If your daddy buys you one, it will be the ONLY ACR in Ferndale WA

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While my ride is a little different, I have almost 50,000 miles on it as a daily driver.
The GEN. 3 drivetrains are VERY solid and if you follow normal maintenance, it will serve you well.

If you think the cars are bad in the snow, try one of the trucks. :D

I have personally seen Blizzaks on an '09 ACR. While it's not the optimal 80F and sunny road conditions we all love, the owner (who shall remain nameless....heh heh) said the car handled fine and had decent traction. That owner was also a pro driver and could probably pull of a quick slalom time with an ACR at a hockey rink.

In the winter I don't worry so much about me doing damage (I grew up in the mountains of CO, so winter driving is like combing my hair); I worry about the clown eating a Big Mac and texting behind me that looks up just in time to not be able to stop.

BOTTOM LINE: If you can afford an ACR, you can afford a 4x4 for your winter driving needs.
Please do that. We don't need any more "Totaled my Viper" threads here.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have personally seen Blizzaks on an '09 ACR. While it's not the optimal 80F and sunny road conditions we all love, the owner (who shall remain nameless....heh heh) said the car handled fine and had decent traction. That owner was also a pro driver and could probably pull of a quick slalom time with an ACR at a hockey rink.

What size were they? I have 17" rims... sounds like I'd have to "upgrade" so I could get snows.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big, that made me laugh. If you're ever on the Taconic between 6:30-8 or 5-6, come bump draft.

It's about having fun with the car and a little bit of thinking outside the hexagonal.
Lol, maybe the Palisades tomorrow morning around 5-6! I'm definitly with you on having fun Tom, I thought I would just share my thoughts on DDing these cars. They are fun none the less, however the respected owner decides to use them, :headbang:!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im 99% certain those were OZ-RACING wheels, (4 fronts) on that car...... the BLACK makes em look ACR-ish.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>well, I just wanted input on driving it(2009) ACR viper around my town, Ferndale,WA. we get tons of snow in the winter, is it ok to drive this bad boy in the snow?<<<

YOU can use the ACR even as a submarine. Drive it into your pool and enjoy :drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery