ACR Performance testing

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We recently modified a 2008 ACR for track use and was able to do some controlled dynamometer testing with the Belanger headers (production mufflers) and the new Mopar Performance Computer. First we baselined the car stock, then with the headers, then with the computer. We took the three best runs for each test and averaged them out for the results.

You must be registered for see images attach

The baseline test and the header test were done with 91 octane fuel. The test with the new Mopar computer was done with a mix of 91 and 100 octane unleaded fuel. The new computer specifies 93 octane fuel (minimum).

We have tested several 08-09 Vipers with the complete Belanager system. This car was going to be running at Laguna Seca and we needed to keep the noise down because of that track's sound rules. Lou Belanger made new head pipes (with cats) that would accept the production mufflers. Just a note, whenever we install these headers we use the production header gaskets and reuse the production hardware. We also change the collectors bolts (to grade 8) and use a gasket for the collector (otherwise they leak over time). We add insulation to the O2 sensors and trim some of the side panel shielding the keep the wires from rubbing. The finished system has a good sound and is not too loud.

The new Mopar computer is claimed to give 15 additional hp (with the proper fuel), smooth out the power delivery and allow you to run headers and high flow cats (or no cats) without a check engine light. The last car we tested with this computer we tested with 91 octane fuel and it did not make any more power, but ran smoother. We could see the knock sensors pulling timing, so we knew better gas would help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Baseline 556hp 542tq
Headers 605hp 568tq
Headers/ Computer 618hp 594tq

All the tests were done on our Dynapack dynamometer, numbers on this dyno read a bit higher than on our Dynojet.

The results a very respectable gain in hp and torque. For those of you interested in this package, we offer competitive pricing and expert preparation.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome write up dan. what did you see with the AFR after the headers and ECM were installed? any room for more tuning? hopefully you will be able to crack into this new system and make some tweaks. shop looks great as always!

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car tested is ours. We are picking it up today. What I think is more important than just the raw data is how it will drive. I will report back on the whole upgrade package. The car only has 250 miles on it, and is still being broken in. It will probably make even better numbers with a few thousand miles on the break-in. We could have made even more power but since the car will see "track days" at places like Laguna, which have sound restrictions,we were limited on exhaust options. While I have not seen the finished product, I can say Dan at DC has been extremely helpful and knowledgable. If is refereshing to find a professional in this industry, as most of the shops I have dealt over the years have been real flakes. Brian

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cant wait to get the same mods done this summer. Who should I use in the NY area.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan -- beautiful car and nice post. Just as a side note, what type of hp and torque gains are you seeing on 2008-2009 Vipers with the full Belanger system (headers, high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers and exhaust)? This would be without the Mopar ECU although if you already have data on cars that also have the Mopar ECU installed that would be helpful. Thanks.

/Rich

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fantastic #s, and monster torque. Keep up the good work DC Performance.:headbang:

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are seeing about a 40-50 rwhp gain with the complete Belanger system. The gain using the production mufflers is about the same.

The complete Belanger system is great for those who want to really hear the exhaust. For those who want a little less noise the production mufflers are good.

Just a note on the production mufflers. It almost looks like they took some engineering advice from Corsa with a sound canceling design (but less costly).

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a note on the production mufflers. It almost looks like they took some engineering advice from Corsa with a sound canceling design (but less costly).

Wow! What a concept!:omg:

Sorry, Dan. That just sounded really funny to me. It's 3:00am, what else do I have to do.

Bob

Reaction score
The stock exhaust is smaller all the way through this is what helps keep the sound down a little. It really does not hurt performance though as the Corsa was designed as 3" and necked down for the OEM cats.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove the car over the weekend. All I can say is wow. It is loud-it will never make sound at Laguna. I am told best run was 638 RWHP! This is the fastest "street car" I have ever owned...and I have owned a lot including an original 427 Cobra and an original Ford GT40 (both 1966's). Its still is not as fast as my WC Comp Coupe though-which is a race car.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, when you say "not as fast as your WC CC", do you mean straight line acceleration or lap times? If you are talking straight line, I had no idea the CC's had that power/weight...
Curious, what is the weight of your CC, and HP?

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around a track the CC is faster. My CC is in WC trim and makes @500 rwhp...but it weights @ 650 pounds less than the ACR-pretty substantial. A CC is not a stock gen3 motor...and a WC spec car is running a different cam/ECU/Headers/minimal exhaust and a few other "tweaks" like electric fans and not the stock fan set up etc.The new WC/GT3 motors make @ 600 to the wheels so they are still faster yet(some are even now running sequential gear boxes). A WC Comp Coupe was tested once with a WC motor and ran a 10.5 quarter mile-probably as fast or faster than my ACR would modded. Until you drive a well sorted (and driven) CC you would have no idea how fast one is.Remeber, the CC in WC are running 35-40% inlet restrictors to help equal power to the other cars like a 6 cylinder Porsche as well as "rewards weight and the removal of the rear defuser to slow it down.(and smaller front tires if you have ABS running) Even running in SCCA we have some of those penalties on our cars. You can find 3or 4 classes of CC at the likes of a VRL race. Unrestricted, they are fast.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you find that you actually achieve a gain in HP by using higher octane fuels (100+) on a stock car? I have heard arguments both ways.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only if the controller can read the higher octane...the new Mopar control requires 93 but we only have 91 in CA so no gain. With 93 there is @ 18 h.p gain. World Challenge CC use 100 octain as we have a different control (and camshaft) than a VRL CC.

Reaction score
Brian,

I've asked Dan to keep me in-the-loop for the next time you'll have this monster out at the track.. I'd love to (try to) see it!

OP
OP
D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Gen 4 models we have modified and tested with headers, MP computer and high flow air filter have made 65-70rwhp over stock on 93 octane fuel. This backs up the claims made by SRT. A great gain for bolt-on performance.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,

I've asked Dan to keep me in-the-loop for the next time you'll have this monster out at the track.. I'd love to (try to) see it!

We will finally have the car at Infineon on the 20th, and Thunderhill in Willows on the 22nd for some "testing". If anyone has a chance come by and say hello-I will be with a '05 Viper and a friends modified '06 ZO6. We will be taking people for rides on both dates if the groups we are with allow us to.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow up to an old post...We ran the car yesterday at Thunderhill. No setup other than the baseline that Dan @ DC did (rough track setup). We didn't even check the tire pressure. Right out the gate I got a number of 203.3 laps-which is pretty darn quick for a street car. The tires have been heat cycled and have been run on the street for the past 1200 miles. I did find after 4-5 laps that the brakes started overheating-something you dont get with a CC. The extra weight and lack of brake ducts is the cause-there was no air in the lines. I am going to try and figure out if there is a way to run brake ducts on this car. With a better setup and fresh tires, I am sure I can break the 2 minute mark very easily. This is using the full course and crows nests.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow up to an old post...We ran the car yesterday at Thunderhill. No setup other than the baseline that Dan @ DC did (rough track setup). We didn't even check the tire pressure. Right out the gate I got a number of 203.3 laps-which is pretty darn quick for a street car. The tires have been heat cycled and have been run on the street for the past 1200 miles. I did find after 4-5 laps that the brakes started overheating-something you dont get with a CC. The extra weight and lack of brake ducts is the cause-there was no air in the lines. I am going to try and figure out if there is a way to run brake ducts on this car. With a better setup and fresh tires, I am sure I can break the 2 minute mark very easily. This is using the full course and crows nests.
What times are you getting with your CC?

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run as fast as 156.1 in a race last year (I believe that to be a BP record). Since they have resurfaced/slightly reconfigured the track last year it seems to be a bit slower. Last time I raced there my fastest lap was 157.25...so a CC is still much faster than an ACR. I will have both at the track next weekend (same driver/same day) so it should be interesting. I will be running on heat cycled DOT tires like the ACR so we should be able to remove the tires as a variable.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run as fast as 156.1 in a race last year (I believe that to be a BP record). Since they have resurfaced/slightly reconfigured the track last year it seems to be a bit slower. Last time I raced there my fastest lap was 157.25...so a CC is still much faster than an ACR. I will have both at the track next weekend (same driver/same day) so it should be interesting. I will be running on heat cycled DOT tires like the ACR so we should be able to remove the tires as a variable.

how did the weekend go comparing both cars?

It was great to read your comments in earlier posts. A CC would be the perfect platform for an 800hp (at flywheel) engine - an easy target when mods are allowed.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran the ACR- fastest lap was 2.03.3 You can find the time at Speed Ventures website for last month at Thunderhill-it was the fastest car there that day-even faster than some ITE race cars-didn't have the CC ready. I ran two weeks ago in the CC at Thunderhill with very similar weather. I ran on 8 heat cycled DOT Hoosiers (very used up)-very similar tire to the Pilots on an ACR. I broke the race record there that day for BP/STO with a 1.55.225. So bottom line- a CC will smoke even a modified ACR. After driving them back to back-they are not even in the same sentence anymore. Both times were with a transponder-so both very accurate.