Another rear gear question 3.55 3.73 or 4.10?

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had a Gen 3, the 3.55 gear made the car perfect hence I'm
looking forward to getting a gear swap on my Gen 4.
I have a friend who put 4.10 in his stock Gen 4 and he swears
it's the perfect gear for his car. When I had a chance to drive his, I
was surprised it didn't feel as 'short' as I expected but still I find it
too short for my taste.
I see many of you here went with 3.55 gears but I'm thinking it might
be 'too' tall for may taste.
Anyone with 3.55 and 3.73 gear, lets' hear the pros and cons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
3.55 is still a good all around gear over the 3.73 because of all the shifting there is with a 3.73 or lower. If you don't mind this then I say get the 3.73! BUT if you do invest in the Quaife diff at the same time as the rear end will be all over the place without it. I have been contemplating buying a 3.33 Quaife also to try and I hear good things there, I just feel like you that it won't be enough.

3.73's are a great gear for the street though nothing but FUN! bring a sticky tire though also.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had 3.55's in my '06 Coupe and loved them!

Now I have a new diff(stock) w/ 3.55's on the way. Hope I can still hook up!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These comments pertain to Gen 4:

4:10 is so flipping steep that I dont believe it. This would be a joke-mistake. Borderline foolish.

3:55 is a perfect choice unless you are a hard-core drag racer, or plan to do HP adders: then do 3:33.

I have driven a 2008 with 3:73..... still too much gear unless you have a specific format-application. Severe service cycle on trans output shaft and bearings and oils, and diff oils. Wheelspin galore without stickies. Scary in neighborhood sweepers....dirty public roads.

3:55 is Goldilocks "Just Right"

[This is an eminently SEARCHable topic as well..]

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know gears drop your top speed and increases you acceleration. But do they actually make your car faster?Anybody have any time slips to prove it?

Also what happens when you get around 800 plus horsepower? Is it better to just leave in the stock gears?

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run a 3.55 and a quaife in my 2008. I didn't notice a huge change in gearing feel- but it is better.
Haven't driven an '08 with a 3.73, but it probably is not as huge of a change as I would have thought originally.