Another Viper crash..............

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that...runcraps got me too although I was getting on it. And no matter what the guy says he was too - he did not flip it as he was gingerly driving along!

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering were the 4x4 post came from. I can't see were it broke off at the ground in the picture.

I wonder if they were swerving to miss it, but got it anyway causing the load pop noise.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the facts?

1. Why did the car veer off the road . We will probably never know for sure althought i'm pretty sure the brother in law knows

2. Speed? It does appear that the car veered of the road in a straigt line and hit the driveway at an angle. The impact on the side of the driveway and resulting damage to the driveway is significant and the experts will use this as a way to estimate speed.

3. why did it flip? Well after hiting the driveway at speed the viper became aiborne. It spun in the air because it hit the driveway at an angle with the front left tire hitting first. The marks on the grass indicate the viper landed already sideways,dug in and hit the tree and then flipped.

4. why passenger ejected? Well no seat belt but he was also on the side that had the most rotation as the viper flipped. HE is lucky not to have a closed head or neck injury causing his death

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a hard flip. Can not be that slow. Think it is totalled?

You must be registered for see images

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling the phrase, " Hey dude, watch this...." was said right before this happened.

One thing I did notice was no airbag deployment? Why not?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just read through that thread. I have never seen so many charletons in my life.

"2 in 5 Vipers never make it to the owner's driveway as they are crashed on the way home". Can you imagine if this were true? Or just how proposterous this reads?

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car will be on e-bay next week with the caption. "Hardly driven!" Definitely 3 sides to that story; Driver, passenger, and the truth.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the FLIP thread? 40-50 mph is enough.
He hit something hard sideways and rolled the car.
Either the driveway or the little tree/bush.

Good to hear both survived (again)!

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a theory, but maybe that chunk of fence post (or whatever it is) in the one picture was in the road and he hit it. That may explain the "load bang" the driver claimed to hear. If it wedged itself under the car in a bad way, it could have contributed to the loss of control and the car getting airborne.

That being said, more likely he was showboating a bit, lost traction and panicked.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gear shift appears to be in 1st. My guess is that he was driving in a spirited fashion, showing his friend what it would do. He went to grab 3rd and grabbed 1st by mistake. Tires immediately locked up, he heard a big bang and he went sideways onto the grass until the tires caught the driveway asphalt and that flipped him over. That could happen fast enough that he didn't even realize his mistake on the shifting.

I know the one time when I hit 2nd instead of 4th, there was a loud bang before I could get the clutch back in. I never did figure out what caused the sound, and never did find any signs of damage but figured it was perhaps the rear differential launching upwards and hitting something as the tires went into a sort of wheel hop.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gear shift appears to be in 1st. My guess is that he was driving in a spirited fashion, showing his friend what it would do. He went to grab 3rd and grabbed 1st by mistake. Tires immediately locked up, he heard a big bang and he went sideways onto the grass until the tires caught the driveway asphalt and that flipped him over. That could happen fast enough that he didn't even realize his mistake on the shifting.

I know the one time when I hit 2nd instead of 4th, there was a loud bang before I could get the clutch back in. I never did figure out what caused the sound, and never did find any signs of damage but figured it was perhaps the rear differential launching upwards and hitting something as the tires went into a sort of wheel hop.

Good theory. Very possible.

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car is from Ooley and Blackburn....I remember seeing it there. I bought a car off those guys...wonder who's it was? Hope they're ok!!!

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a feeling the phrase, " Hey dude, watch this...." was said right before this happened.

My guess is that the airbag sensors are located in the front bumper, which was hardly touched, hence no deployment.

The car didn't flip until it got into the grass. If you notice all the grass and dirt caught up in the driver side wheels, its evident that the driver side was the leading edge, the wheels simply caught the turf and flipped the car. This also better explains the passenger ejection. With the car sliding driver side first, the passenger got catapaulted(sp?) out of the car.

I hate to say it, but that car was definately already sideways before it even went into the grass, as evident by the pictures. There's no way rolling tires could take up that much grass and dirt, which seem to start at the edge of the road.

The question now is what caused the car to get sideways? My guess is that he got on it, tires broke loose and the rear end started drifting to the right. He then over corrects and the rear end swings back around to the far left, causing the car to go sideways, then off the road, and the rest was history.

A moment of silence for the pretty red lady...

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My guess is that the airbag sensors are located in the front bumper, which was hardly touched, hence no deployment.

The car didn't flip until it got into the grass. If you notice all the grass and dirt caught up in the driver side wheels, its evident that the driver side was the leading edge, the wheels simply caught the turf and flipped the car. This also better explains the passenger ejection. With the car sliding driver side first, the passenger got catapaulted(sp?) out of the car.

I hate to say it, but that car was definately already sideways before it even went into the grass, as evident by the pictures. There's no way rolling tires could take up that much grass and dirt, which seem to start at the edge of the road.

The question now is what caused the car to get sideways? My guess is that he got on it, tires broke loose and the rear end started drifting to the right. He then over corrects and the rear end swings back around to the far left, causing the car to go sideways, then off the road, and the rest was history.

A moment of silence for the pretty red lady...

The car went sideways because it hit the driveway at an angle at significant speed. The left tire hit first. Look at the cracks and damage to the driveway. I agree with everything else u're thread states but it has already been stated or assumed

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of analysis about how the crash might have happened . . .

But the real interesting part is how those stock "roll hoops" seem to have survived (and performed) in a rollover. For years I have been reading dozens of posts describing the stock hoops as cosmetic worthless junk. Please explain why this most criticized part of the SRT's did not fail?

Reaction score
Been there, done that...runcraps got me too although I was getting on it. And no matter what the guy says he was too - he did not flip it as he was gingerly driving along!

Hope both driver and passenger recover completely. Hate to see car crashes!

Some accidents are simply just that accidents(debris and or liquids on the road, etc), some are driver judgement(cold tires, excessive speed for conditions) and some driver car control skills are lacking.

Run flats taking the blame is way of the mark IMHO. In case of tire puncture they offer more control not less. The Viper run flats have great grip vs other brands conventional tires.

I know there are those who continue to express their opinion about the lack of grip of the Viper run flats. Just look at the Viper Days lap times from Buttonwillow Raceway March for the Modified Lap Time:
Marco Chavez 2:11.930
Marco Chavez Jr. 2:13.340

This was the first time for father and son to drive on a race track. They drove a a stock 2003 RT10 with run flats And they were both faster than most of the field. Comp. Coupes were six seconds faster in a car with slicks, about 500 pounds lighter and set-up for the track. Perhaps these were special aged run flats, with special powers of grip.
:2tu:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big BANG at the time of excitement is the transmission shifter housing smacking the tunnel as the entire drivetrain attempts to accommodate the masisve shift in geometry (at least in my GEN II) Been there---done that on a missed 3-4 shift. Inspected the drivetrain and discovered the impact point where the shifter housing area has minimal clearance in the tunnel. My Hurst shifter has actually less clearance so when I get some wheel hop, it bangs the crap out of it.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of analysis about how the crash might have happened . . .

But the real interesting part is how those stock "roll hoops" seem to have survived (and performed) in a rollover. For years I have been reading dozens of posts describing the stock hoops as cosmetic worthless junk. Please explain why this most criticized part of the SRT's did not fail?

The roll hoops (and the driver) survived becaused the car rolled on soft ground. Had it rolled on a paved surface the driver would almost certainly be dead right now and the roll hoops crushed flat. Aluminum just doesn't cut it when it comes to roll-over protection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh