Anyone install the new Mygig head unit in a gen 3?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.incaraudiovideo.com/oem-in-dash-navigation-multimedia

•Amazon Sales Rank: #10874 in Car Audio or Theater
•Brand: Koolertron
•Model: JEP083

Great find, Jay. The one made for the 1.5 din looks like a great deal!! Only $405. Granted, it doesn't have as large a screen as the mygig, but if it really fits easily, and all of the features work like they say they do, that would be a steal. Does anyone have any personal experience with this brand or unit?? It seems like a far better way to go than the factory nav unit (RB1??) that was in the vipers.

CAUTION: This does not fit at all in the Viper. It was clearly made for a larger dash whereas the viper has a magnesium/aluminum reinforcement which does not allow for much vertical tolerance. The Koolertron headunit is approximately 0.150 too tall to fit in the opening. It can be modified to fit, by moving the faceplate up by the same amount, but then the DVD slot does not function. Also, the Ipod cable does not seem to work due to interference as well.

I will work on it some more and let everyone know if I can make it all function. As of right now it is installed and fitted to the dash, with the Bluetooth working well. It is in my garage and does not pick up satellites so I'm not certain about the Nav.

It was a cheap trial and I figured I'd give it a shot. If I make everything work it'll still require a lot of effort on the part of someone else to duplicate it, but I'll make a thread detailing it.

OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CAUTION: This does not fit at all in the Viper. It was clearly made for a larger dash whereas the viper has a magnesium/aluminum reinforcement which does not allow for much vertical tolerance. The Koolertron headunit is approximately 0.150 too tall to fit in the opening. It can be modified to fit, by moving the faceplate up by the same amount, but then the DVD slot does not function. Also, the Ipod cable does not seem to work due to interference as well.
I will work on it some more and let everyone know if I can make it all function. As of right now it is installed and fitted to the dash, with the Bluetooth working well. It is in my garage and does not pick up satellites so I'm not certain about the Nav.
It was a cheap trial and I figured I'd give it a shot. If I make everything work it'll still require a lot of effort on the part of someone else to duplicate it, but I'll make a thread detailing it.

Thanks for the update, 351. Please keep us up to date on the install. Do you have to modify supports inside the dash?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, 351. Please keep us up to date on the install. Do you have to modify supports inside the dash?

I started by modifying the head unit itself, moving the front face. unfortunately this misaligns the dvd slot too much. Later I will attempt to fix this, but most likely willneed to trim the inside dash plastic surround to make it fit.

it does look pretty good, the interface isn't as bad as expected and the bluetooth connected and played audio right away.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as an update on my part with regards to the "Koolertron", I do have the headunit installed and working. GPS functions very well and the interface is very friendly. It's also a complete executable that's hosted on a microSD card and can be tweaked/hacked easily to your likings. It's an extremely common program and very up to date.

The Bluetooth functions well with my Android based phone, I'm able to both make and receive calls as well as play audio through the headunit.

The DVD function works, although I've always found this to be a novelty as they have no real practical purpose with a screen this small. When playing a Music CD the background on the player is white and quite obnoxious, I haven't found how to change the skin for this portion yet.

The radio functions in FM/AM mode. Not the best reception, but not awful either.

Major complaints -
Subwoofer doesn't seem to work at this point. Not sure if I missed connecting the antenna/remote wire, but am under the assumption that had I missed this, no sound would play.

No good menu access to the back end. It's password protected and I don't have the password. I haven't dedicated too much time to finding it, but if I did I'm sure most every screen and background could be modified/customized.

Install was a *****. From the amount of wires to it not fitting properly. Oh and then the GPS wasn't programmed with the proper port/baud rate and I had to modify the sys file code.

All in all, it looks great, functions well enough and has potential to be a good unit. However unless you've got a good electronics background or a degree in engineering, I wouldn't recommend tackling it.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all encouraging stuff. I wasn't aware of that particular model when I bought the double DIN JVC unit. It seems like it would be a great product for a Viper parts reseller to tweak and resell as a plug and play solution.

~Jay

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's all encouraging stuff. I wasn't aware of that particular model when I bought the double DIN JVC unit. It seems like it would be a great product for a Viper parts reseller to tweak and resell as a plug and play solution.

~Jay

Dont lose hope yet guys on the MyGig... I have one in route and will be back at this ********, since I have two other locals plus myself that would kill to get one working correctly.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, $2k on a car that I like listening to the Corsas more than the stereo sounds a little steep. Do like the idea of moving the back-up camera display to the head unit, though, and I don't think the RB-1 has an external video input, so I was hopeful for the "Koolertron".

OK, once again, would some vendor please make a dash bezel for double-DIN head units, so we don't have to hand fab our own (and paint to match)?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, there is NO comparison between a MyGig and a Koolertron. Between the host of features it has over the Koolertron, the built in Sirius tuner, Camera control, internal hard drive, voice recognition, streaming bluetooth audio and just the screen size difference itself, you cant really directly compare them. Sure, if you are looking for something quick and simple, then the MyGig isnt your bag. If you are looking for something legit & OEM quality, then it is.

If you care that little about the radio to begin with, you are kinda wasting your time in the first place to change anything, or just get an RB1 or single DIN radio from any radio place in the country.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I really am looking for is bluetooth and the ability to connect my smartphone..... I use my smartphone for navigation...... the backup camera is not something worthwhile for me... the Viper is easy enough to park and unpark.......satellite radio is just another worthless monthly fee for me (especially if i can hook up my smartphone for uninterrupted music)........... I would like the streaming bluetooth...but I struggle with that one feature being worth $2K. Can't someone come up with a way to get the bluetooth and aux in on the factory RBQ?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll make a full thread tomorrow but you can indeed stream audio with the Chinese all-in-one over Bluetooth. It also has an aux in, a great GPS, DVD, Bluetooth phone, internal storage, although the screen is smaller, the quality is lower and there are some quirks to the install. But it looks great installed and is quite a bargain.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just a quick update, as I tinkered with this today.

FAIL:
-MyGig CANBus Features cannot be directly bypassed.
-LockPick Adapters DO NOT WORK. As I said.

Questionable:
-CAN Activation by way of OEM Modules possible.
-CAN Activation by way of third party integration product possible. Contacting a few tomorrow to see if they can bring this to production.
-CAN Activation by way of CAN Simulator possible. Finding a small CAN Simulator & programming it is feasible but time consuming.

The irony to all of this is that there are literally HUNDREDS of posts out there I have run across with tons of people looking for a solution to this exact problem both in and out of the Viper market, but apparently the companies that have the ability to bring this to market with nothing more than a reprogram of modules they already friggen make are too dumb to see this!

OP
OP
S

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your work on this, FinalGTS. I was also wondering if it is possible to put mygig in any other vehicle? For example a Ford or Chevy? At this point, since I recently put the pioneer in my wife's expedition, I probably would not do it, but for her next vehicle.

Just a quick update, as I tinkered with this today.

FAIL:
-MyGig CANBus Features cannot be directly bypassed.
-LockPick Adapters DO NOT WORK. As I said.

Questionable:
-CAN Activation by way of OEM Modules possible.
-CAN Activation by way of third party integration product possible. Contacting a few tomorrow to see if they can bring this to production.
-CAN Activation by way of CAN Simulator possible. Finding a small CAN Simulator & programming it is feasible but time consuming.

The irony to all of this is that there are literally HUNDREDS of posts out there I have run across with tons of people looking for a solution to this exact problem both in and out of the Viper market, but apparently the companies that have the ability to bring this to market with nothing more than a reprogram of modules they already friggen make are too dumb to see this!

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope this get solved. Don't we have some geeks out there that can solve this problem?
Hirk

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LIke with a lot of Dans work, I will likely be the Guinea pig :) If there is anyone that can do these kind of things, its Dan. Take a look at the thread i started regarding my engine build. The guy is amazing.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subscribed!

I too am interested in an OEM look, and have no interest in cutting any part of my Viper. I have a AVIC-930BT in my 2005 Ram, and did plenty of cutting there, so I can do it. But NOT in my Viper.

Any update here? I know the older RB1 obviously fits, but what are the model numbers of the MyGig units that fit in this exact Viper opening? The MyGig units look to have square corners, where the stock Viper radio has rounded corners?

Maybe there is a new thread somewhere?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Dan at ViperSpecialty. I almost did it but more focused on my engine build instead.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Dan at ViperSpecialty. I almost did it but more focused on my engine build instead.

Thanks Nader. Yeah, I read two of his threads, and he was very active on this one, but since both threads dies, I guess there was never a solution. I have come to realize that the MyGig does not really fit anyway. Looks like just the RB1 if you want OEM fitment and no cutting.

I don't know about the RB1 install, seems like you would need a separate Sirius unit, and I don't know where the GPS antenna would be routed/placed. Are there factory instructions to install a RB1 in a Gen3 Viper, since it appears to be a Mopar Accessory?

EDIT: I also see RB4. Doing searches on this site... trying to get background as this has all been discussed/tried before, I know.... RB4 looks inferior to RB1?

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I am not looking for 'sound quality', as that would take a TON more work (speakers, amps, wiring, etc.). I really just want clean OEM in-dash navigation, with Sirius as optional.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Gen 3 the Sirius antenna is located UNDER the factory plastic bulkhead on top of the factory steel bulkhead on the passenger side. I discovered that while helping a friend install a rollbar. The GPS antenna's are located under the dash on or near the top of the nav radio.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Gen 3 the Sirius antenna is located UNDER the factory plastic bulkhead on top of the factory steel bulkhead on the passenger side. I discovered that while helping a friend install a rollbar. The GPS antenna's are located under the dash on or near the top of the nav radio.

Awesome - thanks for the info. Good to hear everything is in the dash. I don't want to route any wires through the cabin, etc.

I appreciate it!

Derek

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan has a solution to the mygig which I think only requirers minor work to radio opening. Again I seriously considered it but in the end stuck with RB1.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan has a solution to the mygig which I think only requirers minor work to radio opening. Again I seriously considered it but in the end stuck with RB1.

Yep, we have a solution pending, and it requires very little modification to the dash itself other than the (replaceable) face panel. It is NOT cheap, and it is a very niche item, but it allows MyGig integration, nav, HDD drive, built in sirius, Bluetooth, rear camera, auto-dimming rear view mirror, etc, etc. A lot of technology is gained by default, if the sticker shock doesn't make you fall over first. [If you want OEM quality... you pay OEM prices.]

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, we have a solution pending, and it requires very little modification to the dash itself other than the (replaceable) face panel. It is NOT cheap, and it is a very niche item, but it allows MyGig integration, nav, HDD drive, built in sirius, Bluetooth, rear camera, auto-dimming rear view mirror, etc, etc. A lot of technology is gained by default, if the sticker shock doesn't make you fall over first. [If you want OEM quality... you pay OEM prices.]

Thanks Dan. Just saw the price for the adapter... well the price actually isn't a huge deal, although it is a lot. Like some, I am not willing to cut behind the bezel, which seems like a little is necessary. Nor do I want to replace the front bezel and cut that.

So just in case - can you describe any plastic modification that would be necessary? I am leaning towards RB1 for simplicity sake, but I'd like to know the options. I could call you, but it is probably good to post here for everyone's reference maybe?

Derek

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. Just saw the price for the adapter... well the price actually isn't a huge deal, although it is a lot. Like some, I am not willing to cut behind the bezel, which seems like a little is necessary. Nor do I want to replace the front bezel and cut that.

So just in case - can you describe any plastic modification that would be necessary? I am leaning towards RB1 for simplicity sake, but I'd like to know the options. I could call you, but it is probably good to post here for everyone's reference maybe?

Derek

To boil it down: If you are afraid of doing any minor cutting and trimming, you are stuck with a selection of horrible radios. No radio other than single-DIN flip-outs with an ugly adapter plate offer any great feature set or the level of quality an OEM would use. The only radios that are direct fit are all not even in the same league as anything we are talking about here.

To fit a MyGig, you need to trim dash behind the face plate on the front edge using a machining guide plate, and use a mounting adapter to adjust screw positions. The front plate is obviously completely different, the radios aren't even the same profile. You don't get your cake and get to eat it too basically. I cannot see how anyone, ever in the history of Vipers would fault someone for installing a reversible upgrade of this type... in fact, I think it would be an absolutely monumental selling point. A truly OEM quality integration, no worries of hacked wires, and OEM quality head unit...? Absolutely not going to detract from the value, we aren't talking a Yenko Camaro here.

Daxzz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan, thanks for stepping up with an option for this install. I'm VERY interested in doing this swap. Any pics available of a MyGig installed in a Viper?